Author Topic: Triumph Street Triple Review and Pics  (Read 286 times)

Offline Radar

Triumph Street Triple Review and Pics
« on: October 06, 2007, 12:15:56 AM »
My trusty Thundercat has been in my ownership for over seven years now, and my thoughts have recently turned to what I can replace it with. I even ran a XJR1300 for eighteen months, but kept the T cat too. Eventually I sold the XJR and kept the 600. Recent rides on a Yamaha R1 and Kawasaki ZX9R have both left me highly impressed with their sheer grunt and breathtaking speed. However the bike that has really caught my eye of late is the new Triumph 675 Street Triple. Here is a bike that combines the aggressive “Factory Fighter” stance of its’ Speed Triple big brother in a compact package with the delicious triple engine and frame of the highly regarded 675 sports bike. The price of £5400 sounded very competitive too, especially for a bike that has been basking in the warmth of some glowing reviews in the biking press. So I made a few phone calls and located a demonstrator at nearby Action Motorcycles of Redditch.

Street Triple, looking good. Shame the Flyscreen, Bellypan and seat Cowl are all extras

My initial impression of the white demonstrator was favourable, but the black colour much better suits the style of the machine. The nose fly-screen, belly-pan and seat cowl, all of which were fitted to the demo bike, are expensive extras. This served to push the price up very close to the £6k mark ~ much less of a bargain. Seat heat is quite low, especially for a modern bike, most welcome to a stumpy like me! On thumbing the start button I was greeted by a rasping three cylinder growl, guttural in quality ~ superb.

Once away from the confines of the Redditch industrial estates and on the A425 towards Warwick the Street Triple really began to show me what it was capable of…and what it wasn’t. First up, performance: Basically the three cylinders 107bhp delivered in spades with the standard exhaust sounding surprisingly fruity as I swept any traffic I encountered with consummate ease. The upright riding position inherent to this type of bike meant speeds always stayed on the sane side and almost legal in places. However the brakes were not brilliant and I got the feeling that as you got more familiar with 675 and began to push harder, the brakes would be found wanting.

Simple but effective clocks

Those rasping high level pipes

The A425 has some sweeping open curves and the Street Triple handled really well on the smooth sections. On the couple of islands I encountered the bike could be lent way over with confidence. However put some bumps and ripples into the equation and the Triumph’s suspension seemed excessively stiff and the bike bounced about and could be diverted off line, this is a bit unsettling at the speeds the Triumph is capable of.

After 26 enjoyable miles I took the bike back. Will I buy one? No. I liked the Street Triple but I didn’t love it. So it’s back to hunting for a nice R1 on ebay for me.

http://www.actionmotorcycles.co.uk/

Thanks to Action Motorcycles for the ride, despite the fact they charged me for fuel.

Evil Twin

« Reply #1 on: October 06, 2007, 10:00:38 AM »
Very nice write up mate:thumbs: must say I don't like the look of the street anywhere near as much as the speed

Offline Gonzo

« Reply #2 on: October 07, 2007, 06:37:32 PM »
Quote from: Evil Twin;145524
Very nice write up mate:thumbs: must say I don't like the look of the street anywhere near as much as the speed

Wot he said.:thumbs:

Radar, Have you thought about the KTM SuperDuke? My old man's been thinking about getting one. All the reviews he's read haven't been able to fault them.

Might be worth looking into?
I hate oil-boilers.:mad1:

Offline Betablocker

• DTP Founder
  • Administrator
    • http://www.betablocker.co.uk
« Reply #3 on: October 07, 2007, 06:55:10 PM »
Another good write up.....

Think i may have to make a place for Radar posts :thumbs:
Diplomacy is the ability to tell someone to go to hell in such a way that they look forward to the trip.

Offline Radar

« Reply #4 on: October 08, 2007, 11:39:31 PM »
Quote from: Betablocker;145723
Another good write up.....

Think i may have to make a place for Radar posts :thumbs:

Cheers for the positive feedback. I enjoy writing the stuff, so am I glad you folks get something from it.

Incidently if you buy the current edition of Used Bike Guide (Oct/Nov 2007) an edited article of my trip to France has been published:thumbs:

Offline Betablocker

• DTP Founder
  • Administrator
    • http://www.betablocker.co.uk
« Reply #5 on: October 09, 2007, 02:12:31 AM »
Good man :thumbs:
Diplomacy is the ability to tell someone to go to hell in such a way that they look forward to the trip.

Offline "M"

• Honorary Member.
« Reply #6 on: November 24, 2007, 11:09:39 AM »
another good write up, keep em coming................:big grin:
Incompetant!