Author Topic: 600cc - Some of the alternatives  (Read 232 times)

Offline Radar

600cc - Some of the alternatives
« on: May 01, 2007, 11:19:18 PM »
So what if you don't want to join the mass ranks of the Japanese sports 600 riders and want to plough a slighly different furrow?

The Triumph Daytona would be a sound choice, fast and with distinctive looks. The Union Jack graphics looks fantastic on the Yellow one. The earlier TT600 received mixed reviews in the press but the people I have spoken to have owned them have rated them highly especially for cornering capability. The TT600 can be picked from around 2000

Triumph TT600

Other choices could be Italian such as the sporty Laverda 650 and 688 parallel twins. Nothing like as quick as the Japanese 600s but again great handling and good looking too.

http://668tech.laverda-nz.org/

http://www.ciao.co.uk/Laverda_650_Sport__81725

Laverda 650

Ducati could be another option; for example the M600 Monster is a massive amount of fun on shorter runs and tight back lanes. Like the Laverda it lacks the outright go of Japanese four cylinder 60, but is loads of fun to ride. A friend has a Monster and rates it very highly. I have ridden it too and can confirm it puts a smile on your face.

Ducati M600

There are also faired 600 Ducatis and these are good bikes too. Electrics can be iffy, but the real thing to ensure that the belt in he engine that turns the camshafts and operates the valves (the cambelt) has been changed at the correct time and that the valve gear has been serviced correctly too.

Just how cool do you want to look?

http://www.dooyoo.co.uk/motorcycle/ducati-600ss/reviews/

Even the Japanese factories offer some good alternatives themselves such as the excellent SV650 Suzuki. This bikes carries off the clever trick of capturing the character of the Italian and British 600cc bikes and adds a dash of Japanese practicality. Swift, reliable and great handling by repute. I prefer the earlier more rounded looking model.

There is a Korean copy of the SV, the Hyosung Comet,

Hyosung Comet

BIKE magazine are running one as part of their long term test fleet and it will be interesting to see how it gets on.

Then of course there is the 600cc naked bikes such as the Fazer, Hornet and Bandit to consider, all are excellent machines. I have ridden the Hornet 600 and it was loads of fun, but I think the 1995-9 Bandit is a classic already and a very cost effective way to have an awful lot of fun. The aftermarket range of bits for making your Bandit a bit different is bewildering too.

The Japanese sports 600s are of course superb, they are hughley popular because by and large they are very, very good bikes.

The modern generation machines such as the Honda CBR600RR, Yamaha R6 are absolutely stunning. But even older generation machines such as my 1998 Yamaha Thundercat are impressive bikes, 150 mph, fast acceleration, great brakes and handling. Hard to go wrong. It is amusing to think that you can pick up post 1995 bikes from around 1400 from most the jap factories. That is quite a lot of bang for your buck!

Early generation stuff such as the GPz600 Kawasaki or my FZ600 are a little dated now, but can provide budget fun if you lower your expectations a little.

So all in there is another way!

Offline Bedhead

• http://streetfighters-ni.com
« Reply #1 on: May 02, 2007, 12:16:38 AM »
FM-on CBR 600 is still pound-for-pound the best bike on the planet, some might be faster, some cheaper, some better handling, but for less than 2k, you can't go wrong.

The FZ was a great bike, it needed decent wheels and it was really only a stopgap 400 with the XJ motor shoehorned in, until the FZR turned up, but it was damn nearly as good as the jellymould CBR's.

I loved my late model GPZ500, it needed decent suspension and wider rubber, but the engine was a peach, twin cylinder grunt to 7500, then it took off like a bat out of hell, would sit all day at 110.:thumbs:
Foreskins are over-rated...............

moto_psycho

600cc-Some of the alternatives
« Reply #2 on: May 02, 2007, 01:12:12 AM »
Hell my GSX750F was 500 and it goes like fuck, previous owner had K&N'd it, single side exhaust and tweaked the carbs, had 140 out of it, and i fucking love it! Long live the 2nd hander!

Also, isnt the hyosung comet just a really cheap SV? Dont really know much about them

arnurnaakala

« Reply #3 on: October 31, 2012, 09:27:57 AM »
Hello friends,
Ten years ago, speedfreaks were buying 600s in their thousands, runed on by their wallet-friendly mix of precision handling, insane engines and cutting-edge technology.But many have fallen out of love with these pocket rockets and are getting their kicks elsewhere even the manufacturers seem to have given up.
psd to html|psd to xhtml|psd to html5
Nice to meet you.
Thanks,