Author Topic: Chrome plating  (Read 818 times)

Offline DevilsTwin

Chrome plating
« Reply #30 on: January 29, 2010, 06:52:13 PM »
Griffs Reality Motorworks in Bristol

Well i liked griff, i liked griff's price's, sadly griff is no more, and nic can go fuck himself rip off merchant :shakeno:
www.Devilsyam.com KTM\'s ARE CRAP

Offline Froudy

• Creaky Moderator
  • Administrator
Chrome plating
« Reply #31 on: January 29, 2010, 09:29:04 PM »
Quote from: DevilsTwin;260445
Griffs Reality Motorworks in Bristol

Well i liked griff, i liked griff's price's, sadly griff is no more, and nic can go fuck himself rip off merchant :shakeno:

I got on well with Griff when he was still around....R.I.P. Griff.
Had no problems with Nick or Marcel whatsoever. I still reckon their prices are ok and the job gets turned around a lot faster as well:nodyes:
Assumption is the mother of all Fuckups

Offline ace

• http://www.aceofsprays.co.uk
Chrome plating
« Reply #32 on: January 30, 2010, 12:14:41 AM »
Yeah, RIP Griff, only rode/drank with him a couple of times, but a funny bloke and has left a hole in the bike scene. I use RMW as it is now and found Nic ok to work with, I have known Marcel for a few years too, i also thought the prices are ok, not as cheep as some but i have always had good results and to me consistent quality is always good. But as with any trade/buiseness you cant please every one and people are always quick to remember the fuck ups where the multitude of good jobs go largely un-noticed.

Offline cola414

Chrome plating
« Reply #33 on: January 30, 2010, 03:47:52 AM »
If I were you I,d chrome the wheels.Polishing is fine but heartache to keep up the finish!I had a pile of chrome done on my R1 but I sent them to the States to get done (see pics)Everything went well until them customs and excise bastards decided I should pay duty to get my own stuff back......long story but I don,t regret it.....piece of piss to clean!!:nodyes:
« Last Edit: January 30, 2010, 03:52:37 AM by cola414 »
Daddy Cola

Offline ace

• http://www.aceofsprays.co.uk
Chrome plating
« Reply #34 on: January 30, 2010, 09:32:17 AM »
my only concern is that ally is a bastid to get chrome to stick to, i have seen some pretty dodgey jobs on ally now, not the finish as such but getting it to stay on the ally especialy in this country where we have so much damp and shit on the roads, the odd cover or bracket i would do but a set of wheels to me is a big risk.

Offline Filthy

• Now then now then!
  • Global Moderator
    • http://www.freebronson.co.uk/
Chrome plating
« Reply #35 on: January 30, 2010, 09:38:24 AM »
They seem to be able to do it well in the states, the quality of the chrome is way superior, to be honest i dont understand why 9 times out of 10, you pay more for a bad job over here!?!?

Have you seen the candy coating they do in the states? :loveit:
HAPPY TO HAVE HAMMERED A FEW NAILS INTO THE COFFIN OF STREETFIGHTERS MAG

Offline frankgwasere

Chrome plating
« Reply #36 on: July 18, 2010, 09:36:39 PM »
Chrome plating isnt just about having some shiny parts its about how it looks and especially when you consider UK weather - SALT on the roads how it lasts.

Im suprised someone hasnt explained chroming in more detail here. There are usually 2 very different standards of chrome finish, one we can call showroom, which is  a soft chrome and VERY shiny and the other is more for industrial applications which is much harder but not so shiny. Also it depends on the metal base as its best to first treat some alloys before chrome is applied to make it stick better and it also given a nice dark background for the mirror finish. Another issue is the thickness, chrome is applied over time, the longer you soak the metal in the solution the thicker the coats.

Now Im no expert but I know from those I have talked too showroom is great until you hit our winters and as Harley owners know all too well some of it doesnt last 2 mins before it starts to deteriorate, and poor chrome can just fall/peel off like paint. Industrial chroming isnt half as nice but will last for years and does not mark so easily as its that damned hard soft chroming scratches quite easily.

If I remember right there are some damn good vids on this on Voeh and I would assume youtube has its share too, always worth watching a few before making any decision you might later regret.

Offline cola414

Chrome plating
« Reply #37 on: July 18, 2010, 09:54:05 PM »
I sent my wheels off for chroming along with my yolks,engine casings,sidestand and other various parts to the States and was well pleased but only problem was the customs pissing me about regarding charges at my end for importing my own items back in??

I would recommend the chrome finish over polishing if you,re a lazy twat like meself!!:lol:
Daddy Cola

Offline cola414

Chrome plating
« Reply #38 on: July 18, 2010, 10:01:28 PM »
Would agreed with frankgwasere on his opinion on chroming!I really only use my bike in the summer/good days etc,so if you are a regular user through the winter months be prepared that the chrome will peel/flake as any other coating does and that is a real boot in the nuts when you have invested heavily!!:shakeno:
Daddy Cola

Offline frankgwasere

Chrome plating
« Reply #39 on: July 18, 2010, 11:29:49 PM »
another issue many over look is when you chrome your engine cases this can cause no end of problems as it does not allow the cases to work as they should in their capacity to cool the engine. This can lead of engines overheating, especially the oil cooled ones but I wouldnt be surprised if water cooled ones suffered the same problems. Thats why in the old days people polished their cases and not use chrome - it didnt cause heating issues

Offline Froudy

• Creaky Moderator
  • Administrator
Chrome plating
« Reply #40 on: July 18, 2010, 11:34:00 PM »
Interesting bit of info there Frank. I'd never have thought of that.
Assumption is the mother of all Fuckups

Offline frankgwasere

Chrome plating
« Reply #41 on: July 19, 2010, 11:13:06 AM »
erm I have a mind and memory full of lots of useless info and ideas, sort of collected it up as one gets older. Chroming is a serious business cos for one its expensive and then sometimes the results are not what one expected, or there can be knock on effects you never considered. It might look great on the bike but does it really deliver what one needs, needs and wants are not always compatible as they serve 2 purposes, best keeping to whats best for the bike not the owner and rider as a broken rider usually means a broken BIKE and the bike like a good women always comes first.

Offline SFC

• DTP Member
Chrome plating
« Reply #42 on: July 19, 2010, 07:14:29 PM »
Quote from: frankgwasere;281336
another issue many over look is when you chrome your engine cases this can cause no end of problems as it does not allow the cases to work as they should in their capacity to cool the engine. This can lead of engines overheating, especially the oil cooled ones but I wouldnt be surprised if water cooled ones suffered the same problems. Thats why in the old days people polished their cases and not use chrome - it didnt cause heating issues

never thought of that, some good points there frank, thanks for sharing :nodyes:
"your only supposed to blow the bloody door\'s off "