Author Topic: Project not very original  (Read 4682 times)

Offline Pitbull

• http://
Project not very original
« Reply #180 on: August 21, 2011, 01:00:13 AM »
That is proper :loveit:

Offline Dookie

« Reply #181 on: August 21, 2011, 10:31:13 AM »
yup that hits the spot:nodyes:

Offline tintscotland

« Reply #182 on: August 21, 2011, 07:28:44 PM »
That was on ebay not too long ago,absolutely gorgeous.

Offline mick

« Reply #183 on: August 21, 2011, 08:40:47 PM »
that gsx is luverly

Offline Westers

« Reply #184 on: January 13, 2012, 10:47:14 AM »
New Year and new plans. I'm not feeling the love of a slingshot framed bike; haven't done for a while, which looking back is why the build has stalled.

A few reasons why: It's an ali frame and so I can't weld it (I can't weld, but ali isn't the easiest of things to learn to weld on), so that means finding someone to do the fabrication work for me, which I don't want. Plus I want to learn to weld.

I'm also not digging the twin spars and the look of the tank anymore. Haven't been for a year or so, ever since I started looking at a certain Mr Strangewayz builds over on OSS. The more I looked, the more I liked the old school bikes that had been updated.

And I also fucked up drilling out the bottom engine mount on the frame - it's not straight. Easy enough to sort out by cutting it off and welding on a new engine mount, but that requires someone else to do it. Yeah, I know fuck wit.

And a bit of experience and thinking about things is a wonderful thing for focusing your mind on what it is you're after. Sooooo.....

Enter the old school 7/12 build :big grin: Shouldn't be a big surprise given the OSS comment above:wink:

Good news is I've tracked down a GS750 frame, and should pick it up next week. Even better news is the Bandit 1200 lump will fit into it with some new engine brackets fabricated (and I know what sizes to make, apart from the rear engine mounts, but that's no big deal as I can measure those up once the motor is in the frame). All the other running gear I've collected (including my yokes), will be put into this, so none of the parts have been wasted.

And it's steel, so I can learn to MIG weld :big grin:

Plans? Nothing majorily new: Plenty of frame bracing, new subframe, minimal tail/seat section, monoshocked, will look to fit the SRAD arm, but whatever I do I'll need to do frame cutouts for the chain. I need to visit some autojumbles to find a petrol tank I like the look of - not fussed about this being a replica of any particular bike, just something that looks right.

Yeah it'll be a lot of work, and for someone who's never welded you might be thinking I'm mad, but that's the challenge/fun part of this - I get to learn.

More importantly it's brought renewed focus and excitement, which I reckon is the most important part of project building to make sure you carry on. Timescales - Next summer (2013), which I reckon is realistic, especially as I have most of the parts.

Oh, and if anyone wants my Slingshot frame (with V5), petrol tank (mint condition inside), and an SRAD arm (I've got three of the feckers), and full set of engine mounts for the frame, then it's all yours for ?50. Cheap, yep, but I want rid of it, and if I put it up on that there place I doubt I'd get much more 'cos they're all non standard parts.

Offline "M"

• Honorary Member.
« Reply #185 on: January 13, 2012, 10:53:33 AM »
Miging is dead easy!

A few hours of night school to learn if the weld is too cold or too hot and your away.
Incompetant!

Offline Westers

« Reply #186 on: January 13, 2012, 11:07:08 AM »
Been looking for a night school course around Notts/Derby way for ages, but they don't run them. They advertise them, but never run them :rolleyes:.

Was going to get a load of pieces of steel and practice on that before I attacked the frame.