Author Topic: Yamaha FZ1S. First 1K miles  (Read 694 times)

Offline Radar

Yamaha FZ1S. First 1K miles
« on: November 26, 2009, 08:57:43 PM »
Do you remember that bit in the iconic film ?The Blues Brothers? when Elwood turns up in the new Blues mobile; an ex police cruiser, much to the disgust of his partner? He leapt to the beaten up cars defence stating coolly

"It's got a cop motor, 440 cubic inch plant, it's got cop tires, cop suspension, cop shocks, it's a model made before catalytic convertors so it'll run good on regular gas."

He then nailed the throttle, smoking the tyres and leapt across river. My recently acquired FZ1S somehow reminds me of that ex-cop cruiser: Unassuming looks but

?it?s got R1 shocks, R1 brakes and a R1 motor? to paraphrase old Elwood

So what we have here is the proverbial ?wolf in sheep?s? clothing?, the ultimate sober suited assassin who looks like the nice bloke next door, but the attach?ase he carries doesn?t contain his butties, but rather a dis-assembled snipers rifle and sights?in the 800 miles I have covered on the Fazer so far this is the image that is coming through strongly. With barely 1,000 miles on the bike in total I am yet to really to open the throttle right up, but I am looking forward to letting loose all 132bhp available. Some 40-50bhp shy of the frontline sports bikes but still plenty for me. Potent and arrogant are the best two words to describe the performance so far. The upright and relatively high riding position gives a feel somewhere between a Supermoto and a Range Rover Sport!  I doubt however that the top-end will have the ultimate rush of a R1 or GSXR1000 etc. but wonder if the Fazer engine and gearing is generally more realistic and possibly even quicker in the give and take riding at sane (ish) speeds on bumpy, pot holed British roads.

Mention of the gearing brings me to the Fazers? Achilles heal?the clunky gearbox. Sadly this is a bit of Yamaha characteristic and is particularly noticeable as 1st gear is engaged and when you shift from 1st to 2nd. Suzuki for example always seem to manage to design and build smooth changing boxes even on their most powerful bikes, so why Yamaha fail so consistently on this point eludes me. If it is follows my experience with other Yamahas I have owned it will ease as the miles rise.

A stiff, R1 based frame and brakes back up that potent engine 100%, and the Fazer is great fun to ride; really chuckable and the confidence inspiring. I felt really home straight away and can?t wait for next summer so I can explore the talents of this fantastic bike more in full?watch this space?

Offline Bam-Bam

« Reply #1 on: November 26, 2009, 09:02:19 PM »
thst seat looks mighty uncomfortable... doubt I could do more than 100 miles on that before allday arse ache!
Let the battle begin, with swords in the wind! Hail Gods of War!!

Offline Froudy

• Creaky Moderator
  • Administrator
« Reply #2 on: November 26, 2009, 09:05:22 PM »
Quote from: Viper;246814
thst seat looks mighty uncomfortable... doubt I could do more than 100 miles on that before allday arse ache!

No problem Viper. I rode all the way from Brizzle to Squires on a seat the same as that:wink:
Assumption is the mother of all Fuckups

Offline Radar

« Reply #3 on: November 26, 2009, 09:07:40 PM »
I find it V comfy tbh

Offline "M"

• Honorary Member.
« Reply #4 on: November 26, 2009, 09:08:26 PM »
Always liked Fazers.

Another good first ride report Radar :nodyes:

I put this in the article section for you T:wink:
« Last Edit: November 26, 2009, 09:16:37 PM by "M" »
Incompetant!

Offline Sheps

« Reply #5 on: November 26, 2009, 09:10:29 PM »
Nice write up as always Radar :nodyes:

Sounds likse youve enjoyed the first 800 miles, long may it continue
It's good for two things, degreasing engines and killing brain cells!

Offline Sam21:19

« Reply #6 on: November 26, 2009, 09:16:15 PM »
i worked with a guy who had one of these (without the fairing tho) he said it was fuckin mental... R1 performance on a naked bike.
:freaked::freaked::lol:

Offline Radar

« Reply #7 on: November 26, 2009, 09:49:47 PM »
Quote from: Sam21:19;246828
i worked with a guy who had one of these (without the fairing tho) he said it was fuckin mental... R1 performance on a naked bike.

It feels ferkin quick so far

Offline Divster

« Reply #8 on: November 27, 2009, 04:29:59 PM »
nice write up bud , i love them faired or unfaired ,just gimme one :lol:
chrome.. g\'fucked ..matt black all the way

Offline Westers

« Reply #9 on: November 27, 2009, 05:55:35 PM »
Yep, I thought long and hard about getting one of these, but then thought feck it I'll build meself something. Do like the look of this Fazer - never could get on with the looks of the old one.

Offline rybes

« Reply #10 on: November 27, 2009, 06:27:43 PM »
Quote from: Viper;246814

even with ya extra paddin :sc: damn tha mus be an uncumfy seat :lol:
ive the memory of a goldfish with alzheimers :D even goldfishes support DTP

Offline Radar

« Reply #11 on: December 18, 2009, 06:59:56 PM »
Quote from: Westers;247004
Yep, I thought long and hard about getting one of these, but then thought feck it I'll build meself something. Do like the look of this Fazer - never could get on with the looks of the old one.

Same here, it is a much better looking and more capable bike in general than the earlier model

Offline Radar

« Reply #12 on: December 18, 2009, 07:00:36 PM »
Quote from: rybes;247009
even with ya extra paddin :sc: damn tha mus be an uncumfy seat :lol:

I am a lard arse and find it pretty comfortable to be honest

Offline Radar

« Reply #13 on: December 18, 2009, 07:01:53 PM »
Quote from: Divster;246975
nice write up bud , i love them faired or unfaired ,just gimme one :lol:

Cheers for the feedback, she is tucked up for the winter now, so not many more miles for a few weeks yet. Hate this time of year

Offline pete1234

« Reply #14 on: December 28, 2009, 08:38:56 AM »
for some reason i was thinking FS1E not FZ1S , then i read the bit about R1 engine forks etc and i thought W.T.F........doh!:doh!:
proud to be a pork eating kafir