Author Topic: Project Budget Dragqueen  (Read 10477 times)

Offline Jon

• http://www.pitstop-paint.co.uk
Project Budget Dragqueen
« Reply #585 on: August 17, 2011, 09:52:49 PM »
Got new plugs through post. Just put em in. WOW. What a difference. First touch of button startup, hot starts fine now too unlike before. Crisp throttle and oil mist out of turbo reduced even more. Must have been some unburnt fuel in cyclinders too. Holding throttle at 1/2 revs even theres next to sod all coming out of exhaust and I'll be riding at below that most of time. Sorted. Revved bike a lot and ran it in shed for 10 mins. When turned off there was a very light film of oil on inside of exhaust and that was it. Sort of a greasy food finger residue on surface (i.e. sod all). No black oil like before so well chuffed with that.

Tickover jumped up to 2500 revs tho. lol. Wound out adjuster on side of carbs but not making much difference. Took carbs off several times and fitted a stronger return spring, etc but no difference. On about the 4th stripdown I found the problem. Carb balance adjusters miles out so cylinders 1&2 had theyre butterflys open by 0.5mm or so at tickover therefore raising revs. Balanced carbs by hand using gaps trick. I?ll borrow vacuum gauges when get a chance, but tickover rock solid at 1000 rpm or so, so not far off.

Started it bout 20 times though when out there n firing up straight off button hot or cold. Also wound out idle mixture screws some 6 turns over stock to richen it up on tickover after reading setup tips on OSS. Firing up lot easier as a result so deffo helped.

TEST RUN????

Sunny-ish this afternoon after work. Few damp patches n puddles about but not too bad compared to storms of last few days. Wasn?t about to waste opportunity.

Took it a few miles to the bridge/causeway as only straight bit of open tarmac for miles. Opened it up and built to 3psi of boost by 1/3 revs or so real easy and smooth. Wouldn?t go beyond that though. Sat rock steady at about 3psi from less than ? revs to max revs. Slight flat spot in carburetion when tried to build boost in too high a gear at like 30mph but pulls through it. Flat spot not noticeable though if in right gear. Just wanted to see what it would do if tried it. Lol.

I set the wastegate up originally very roughly when was rebuilding the turbo using my airbrush compressor to get it opening early and being fully open at 7 psi roughly. Obviously that doesn?t equate once up n running due to pressure drop through intercooler n all the pipework, etc. Looks like I need to wind the wastegate adjuster out couple turns at a time till hitting my 7psi of boost. Building boost at low revs easy though so no reason to doubt it. Bit of adjustment is all really.

Other than that engines running at ok temp, no leaks. Bit fookin loud till get up the gears a bit. Might make up some small baffle plates to stick in exhaust to take the edge off it.

Apart from that its all fine. Front brakes surprisingly good compared to 1st generation bandits, but bit bigger piston size. Bike came with brand new discs and sintered pads though which probably helps. Lol. Back brake kinda useless due to length of swingarm as no weight on it. Locks up real easy!

Handles alright too. Cant throw it around like my Harris, but not too bad. Just a slight adjustment of riding style really. Rides fine. Got my Harris there for corner carving anyway as bandits a straight line tool.

Some of looks I got off folk on pavement and in cars coming other way was classic. Don?t think they knew what to think. Just sort of stood there with jaws open. Lol.

Gradual upping of boost is all really. Going to brace up numberplate bracket a bit to make it a bit stronger as flexed a fair bit when got up to speed. Apart from that really though I think I?m ready for booking MOT n getting some miles in. Carry a spanner with me till got boost level set right. :lol:

Offline stevegixer

• fuckwits inc.
  • DTP Member
Project Budget Dragqueen
« Reply #586 on: August 17, 2011, 10:35:07 PM »
nice work jon,looks like youre all ready to go buddy :wink: