Author Topic: Project Budget CafeFighter  (Read 3624 times)

Offline Jon

• http://www.pitstop-paint.co.uk
Project Budget CafeFighter
« Reply #30 on: October 04, 2010, 06:33:48 PM »
Think so bud. Lot of folk will hate it, but thats never stopped me before.:lol:

Its the one area of the bike I knew was going to be a twat to do and get the way I want it hence starting on seat unit/subframe to get it right n outta way. Room for a gel battery under there on its side too which saves me tying to stuff it somewhere else.

Majority of this build will be stripping n rebuilding parts n cleaning/painting em. Pretty brain out stuff. Way I figure it if get new parts/panels made before strip down then it`ll be straightforwards rebuild, just working through each peice as go.

For sake of practicality Im planning an angled seat pad for pillion which`ll be a pain in the arse to make, but means I can have the shape I want the rest of the time.:nodyes: Maybe also make the rear footrests easily attatched/detatched too to keep things clean when just 1-up on it.

Offline Maxx

« Reply #31 on: October 04, 2010, 07:12:00 PM »
I think thats the way to do things as we've seen all to much modded bikes which have got the subframe and seat and people have lost their mojo and ran out of ideas as of which way to go next doing the rear of the bike is taxing in it's self like u said get it out the way and everything else will fall into place on another thing that I hate when people who build these bikes just stick any old exhaust on without any thought anyway thats enough of me rumbling on....:lol: I'm glued to this thread now just like I'm still glued to the other one ur still building...:wink:

Offline Jon

« Reply #32 on: October 06, 2010, 08:25:20 PM »
Nother hour tonight head scratching n pissin about. Got the sizes of a R1 gel battery off the net other day as know theyre fairly small, so got one of them in mind for the bike once done, due to theyre smallish size and fact I can mount it sideways, etc. Had old dead bandit battery kicking about so had something not far off right sizes to mock up with.

Try as I might I couldn?t for life of me make the battery fit inside the tail shroud no matter which way up I put it. Really want battery in there so don?t have to think about stuffing it elsewhere. Under the tank on the ninjas is a mass of ram air guff. Pressurised airbox n valves/hoses all over the place. Not much spare room for much more than an anorexic ant!

Chopped front seat pad down by around 2? and quickly recovered it again for now. Bit more sensible sizing as my ass aint THAT big. Lol. Don?t like seats you can slide around in back n forth. Looks better too.:-

By cutting front pad down I realized my battery problem was solved as was enough of a gap to slide it down in. Leaning it at slight angle to match tailpiece panel n fits in snugly. Just need to make up a few bits of sheet to support the battery and a strap or something n job done.

Without cardboard on pic below. Also tacked on a bit of box to start making up strong framework so tailpiece can support passengers weight. Messy as hell for now, but no point making it pretty, or welding properly till know its right. :-

Got some 4mm plate scraps, so going to make a plate that comes from back box section back to those 2 threaded bosses on original subframe next to battery, and curve/arch it upwards to match curvature of tailpiece to provide strong support. That`ll be next few evenings work making templates/chopping n smacking shit out of it to try get it to curve. Lol.

Plenty of gaps under there tho for electrical gubbins, plus the gaps under front seat pad too. Should be plenty space for it all to live.:-

Offline Goose

« Reply #33 on: October 07, 2010, 10:15:12 AM »
Quote from: Jon;290708
Yer know thinking about it a busa pillion seat cowl would be bout right size n shape. Hmm maybe.

Play with some of these pictures?
JUST CHILLIN !!!!! :lol:

Offline Jon

« Reply #34 on: October 07, 2010, 11:30:44 AM »
Cheers bud, but going for single curvature setup lke above now. Busa seat cowl was just an idea as double curvature n about right size for my entire seat unit. lol.

Offline Jon

« Reply #35 on: October 10, 2010, 03:55:09 PM »
Times being split between this project and my turbo bandit project so moving forwards slowly. No great rush tho. Got a long harsh winter on its way up here so be lots of shed time. Lol. Weathers too good at moment so been out n about on my Harris Z enjoying it. Empty mountain roads n no traffic/junctions/police. Bliss. Too good to lock myself away in shed. Lol. Works busy too so little free time at mo.

Cut another more accurate cereal box seat cowl with a flatter top profile to accommodate seat. :-

Keep cutting templates till get it accurate. Better wasting cereal boxes than steel. Lol.

Cut out some 4mm stainless steel plate I acquired off a mate up town out of a skip as he got shitloads of it. Bastard to cut, but feckin solid. Should support pillion weight well off cosmetic seat steel:-

Spent ages cutting out supports that went down to original alloy subframe, then threw them in bin as wasn?t convinced of strength. Instead Im gonna cut n weld on some small lengths of the same 3mm wall box section then weld everything solid in one lump. Better safe than sorry.:-

Battery can come out front way if needed. Updates when get some free time to do some more. Lol.

Offline Jon

« Reply #36 on: October 10, 2010, 06:18:49 PM »
Try not to spend too much time in garage leaving my wife n family widowed. Was sitting staring braindead at crap on tv this evening, n me fantastic wife says ?I thought you`d be in the garage rather than sitting about bored?. Whoosh I was gone. Lol. Another quick ? hour or so chopped bits, tacked them on. Some of offcuts of box section n thin sheet scraps from bandit side scoopwere quickly formed into a basic battery tray. Rough n ready but once cleaned up n welded properly n drowned in 2K black will look a lot better. Not that anyone can see the bits once together anyway. Lol.

Got some thin rubber matting kicking about I can line battery tray and pillion plate with when goes back together.

Suppose next item to look at it putting on some mounts or a tray in gaps to mount electrics on. After that its just bodywork sheet metal to make up I think. Oh and a quick detatchable plate underneath to hold pillion footrests. Thinking something solid that footrest assemblys bolt to, and then the whole lot bolts to undertray with 1 or 2 bolts for speed when needed.

Offline Jon

« Reply #37 on: October 13, 2010, 07:55:09 PM »
Been airbrushing bandit side scoop last few evenings so not got much done on ninja.

Did a bit tonight tho. Started on an elcetrics tray for under front seat pad. Cereal box mockup/template. :-

Bitta sheet meets grinder n a hammer. Sits in place ok. :-

Threw all the black boxes in randomly to make sure they would fit. Should be alright once tidy things up a bit n mount everything neatly, etc. :-

Seat pad slips back on without any force. Still a gap between seat n electrics.  :-

I`ll get mounts made for the tray to bolt onto subframe n holes drilled to mount all the boxes/relays, etc next couple evenings. All the wiring reaches easily though which is cool. Need to lengthen battery leads 8? or so, but not exactly a big job.

Offline Jon

« Reply #38 on: October 14, 2010, 07:52:28 PM »
Couple bolts tacked on as mounting studs. :-

Mounting holes for everything drilled. Also made n tacked on some lugs for the original rubber mounting fixings for the relays. Time consuming yeah, but better having relays rubber isolated, and bit better than zip-tying everything in place. One of my pet hates when buy a bike is finding a big rats nest of wires/boxes shoved into a space n zip-tied together in a mess. Lol. :-

Everything slotted in n loosely bolted. Tight as 3 relays, reg/rec, fuse box, ignition module, etc, but will be nice n neat once wires clipped up properly. :-

All at a nice low profile so seat pad clears everything once on. :-

Well think that?s everything bar neatening up n final welding once subframes off bike on stripdown. Onto sheet metal work now covering everything up I guess. Lots of cereal box templates n cutting/welding. Lol.

Offline SFC

• DTP Member
« Reply #39 on: October 14, 2010, 08:10:45 PM »
wish i could get me leccys in that space, keep up the work jon :nodyes:
"your only supposed to blow the bloody door\'s off "

Offline Jon

« Reply #40 on: October 14, 2010, 08:24:13 PM »
Bit tight in there, but compact n outta way. Few other random gaps here n there if need to cram in anything else. Thats everything back in that came off original subframe tho so think Im good.

Swapping back to bandit next couple days. Clear coated other side scoop today so be sanding/polishin/mounting that next few evenings. lol.

Offline Jon

« Reply #41 on: October 20, 2010, 07:10:50 PM »
Not a shitload tonight, but progress of sorts.

Measured up size of 1.5mm sheet I`ll need for seat unit metalwork. Way bigger than what I have which is a pisser as nowhere to get steel from up here other than Egay! Must be somewhere on island to get metal from, but Ive asked around n drawn up nothing but blanks.  

Stripped off all guff from front end tonight anyway, and guns/rockets and all supporting metalwork from other side, etc, etc. Took about a sodding hour as everything rusted into one big blob! One of side effects of living right next to sea for many years n winter riding.:-

Got 2 piles this size now. Bout 2 feet deep in places! Must be good 20-30kg between it all as most of metal bar is at least 5mm steel. Loads of weight considering it was only 180-odd kg with 2/3 tank of fuel at last MOT test! Note big ground section on bellypan from jumping too many humpback hill sections of local roads. Ooops. Lol.  :-

Bikes fookin tiny! Feels like a 250cc stood next to it, and I?m short. Lol. Gonna be light as hell as not much going on bar few sheets of thin alloy, etc. No big clocks on front, n no real seat unit length at back, etc. Cant get over how small bike looks tbh. :-

Off to scan Egay for some sheet steel for seat panel, n hassle a few local mates about local suppliers. Loads of boat builders, etc up here. Must be getting materials from somewhere.

Offline Goose

« Reply #42 on: October 21, 2010, 10:15:39 AM »
Quote from: Jon;292183
Well think that?s everything bar neatening up n final welding once subframes off bike on stripdown. Onto sheet metal work now covering everything up I guess. Lots of cereal box templates n cutting/welding. Lol.

You must get through some cornflakes!:lol:
JUST CHILLIN !!!!! :lol:

Offline Jon

« Reply #43 on: October 21, 2010, 11:15:39 AM »
3 kids.:lol:

Offline Westers

« Reply #44 on: October 21, 2010, 08:46:24 PM »
Condoms would have been cheaper :big grin::big grin::big grin:

This one is growing one me the more I look at it.