Author Topic: Blade project  (Read 3234 times)

Offline speed1972

Blade project
« on: January 22, 2011, 03:33:38 PM »
Well originally I was going to buy a streetfightered zxr 750 but after a few days on here that idea was chucked and decided to source a standard bike and start from scratch.

I owned an rrw a few years ago and managed to find  myself a slightly older 93 model on ebay for the right price. Its not perfect but then for the money i paid it was better than expected. Over the next few months the intention is to spend around 1 to 1.5 k on bits and pieces and chop and change some of the blade. Its not much to look at now, cracked panels, missing screws, couple of bulbs not working and a blowing exhaust just to mention a few of the faults but hey at least it should be a good bike to get started on.

Once work gets started I'll post up more pics etc and i'm sure there will be plenty of questions along the way so bear with me as its all new to me...

Offline radiobloke

Blade project
« Reply #1 on: January 22, 2011, 03:57:42 PM »
For the caah you paid for that,....you stole it!

Congrats,  will be watching.
"if it doesn\'t perform as well as look mean, it hasn\'t got what it takes" #1

Offline WHOOSH

Blade project
« Reply #2 on: January 22, 2011, 05:36:47 PM »
Come on then what did you pay for it?.:nodyes:

Offline scarface

• two thumbs fresh
Blade project
« Reply #3 on: January 22, 2011, 05:40:45 PM »
?895, and a bargain at that :cool2:
Raz as fuck - heavy flow

Offline Froudy

• Creaky Moderator
  • Administrator
Blade project
« Reply #4 on: January 22, 2011, 05:41:43 PM »
Quote from: scarface;304875
?895, and a bargain at that :cool2:

Too right it was a bargain:freaked:
Assumption is the mother of all Fuckups

Offline scarface

• two thumbs fresh
Blade project
« Reply #5 on: January 22, 2011, 05:43:38 PM »
You could do a lot worse than signing up to ukworkshop and asking over there, what bob 9fingers doesn't know about motors aint worth knowing, that's if wookie cant sort you first
Raz as fuck - heavy flow

Offline speed1972

Blade project
« Reply #6 on: January 22, 2011, 05:46:54 PM »
Yeah ?895 with about a months mot and tax :big grin:

Think i'm gonna use it for a month and fix all the minor problems then re-mot it. At least i'll then find out if it has any issues before i pull it to pieces plus i won't need to worry about getting it through another mot when it comes back on the road.

Its all planned out in my head but i think we all know nothing is ever that easy :shakeno:

Offline WHOOSH

Blade project
« Reply #7 on: January 22, 2011, 05:48:09 PM »
Thats ?100 less than i paid for mine.:big grin:

Offline DTector

Blade project
« Reply #8 on: January 24, 2011, 02:20:34 PM »
Looking good. Wish I still had my bandit

Offline speed1972

Blade project
« Reply #9 on: January 28, 2011, 12:13:10 PM »
Well after it broke down on me the other day I decided to give it a bit of a service. Once the tank and panels etc were off i thought fuck it, it can live in the kitchen for a month or so while it gets properly sorted. I'm sure over the next few weeks there will be a few times I'll probably wish I'd never bothered but the first main thing is to get it running right. Once I've done that I'll get started on all the other bits and pieces. Not done anything like this before so I can see it being a steep learning curve.

Offline rybes

Blade project
« Reply #10 on: January 28, 2011, 01:36:42 PM »
steep it may be but its the best way to learn. get ya hands dirty :nodyes:
ive the memory of a goldfish with alzheimers :D even goldfishes support DTP

Offline speed1972

Blade project
« Reply #11 on: January 28, 2011, 06:36:31 PM »
Starting to realise there seem to be a lot of things to relocate but how hard can it be.

Offline The_Wookie

Blade project
« Reply #12 on: January 28, 2011, 06:54:32 PM »
Quote from: speed1972;305901
Starting to realise there seem to be a lot of things to relocate but how hard can it be.

Uh huh.....how hard?  :lol::lol::lol::lol::lol::lol::lol::lol::lol::lol:
Born again bastard. Tendency to cunt as well... :wink:

Offline Kwackmad

Blade project
« Reply #13 on: January 28, 2011, 07:12:35 PM »
It's easy enough to do, the tricky bit is making look better than a sports bike with no clothes on.

Offline speed1972

Blade project
« Reply #14 on: February 17, 2011, 04:34:50 PM »
Done a bit with the bike over the last few weeks. It now runs pretty well after my mate cleaned out the carbs and replaced the regulator. I've been concentrating on the plastics, its taken a while but so far i'm happy with the paint i've done. So much so that i'm going to attempt a gloss black rather than the original matt black idea.

Exhaust has been chopped but at the moment its at the welders being tacked back together. Already had it done once but it wasn't quite right so nothing lined up. Plus i got reminded not to pick something up by where its just been welded or it will try and weld itself to your hand. Still need to get a bracket welded to the bottom of the rad as that just fell to bits.

I think tomorrows jobs might involve trying to remove the rear shock and then remove the spring as i'd like to get it powder coated, 40k and its looking a bit tatty. Also might try and push it to a nearby garage to see if they can weld some nuts on the broken exhaust studs so we can have a go at removing them.

Have now got a nice big box of shiny new bits to go on, all thats left to buy is brake lines, speedo and some washers for my lid.

I'm not making massive changes to the bike as for now i'm on a bit of a budget and would like it back on the road in the next few weeks.

Anyway a few pics and will post again when things are looking a bit different.

spray area in the kitchen, the gf isnt to happy at the min

Tank still needs a bit of work

Lid and other bits undercoated

Snapped exhaust studs:shakeno: