Author Topic: Blade project  (Read 2335 times)

Offline BIGSTEVE

Blade project
« Reply #30 on: March 05, 2011, 07:12:55 PM »
How did you get to nooks n crannies? I've got big mops, did you use smaller ones?  Nice work btw, nearly as shiney as ma heed;)

Offline yankeedoodle

Blade project
« Reply #31 on: March 05, 2011, 07:36:29 PM »
love the shinyyynesssssss

Offline speed1972

Blade project
« Reply #32 on: March 05, 2011, 08:07:48 PM »
Quote from: BIGSTEVE;311524
How did you get to nooks n crannies? I've got big mops, did you use smaller ones?  Nice work btw, nearly as shiney as ma heed;)

Did the main bits with a B&D mouse, awkward bids i did with small sanding discs on the dremel then 240, 400, 800, 1200, 1500 wet and dry followed by small cotton mop thing on the dremel with autosol to polish it all up.

Offline Filthy

• Now then now then!
  • Global Moderator
    • http://www.freebronson.co.uk/
Blade project
« Reply #33 on: March 05, 2011, 09:23:03 PM »
Give the autosol a miss next time and use Autoglym super resin polish, autosol is slightly abraisive, the autoglym stuff isnt and puts a better protective coating on, stuff i polished back when i was doing it at work and thats been in my shed for a few years comes good with another wipe over with that, no need for mops.
HAPPY TO HAVE HAMMERED A FEW NAILS INTO THE COFFIN OF STREETFIGHTERS MAG

Offline BIGSTEVE

Blade project
« Reply #34 on: March 05, 2011, 09:44:08 PM »
Thanks bud!

Offline speed1972

Blade project
« Reply #35 on: March 05, 2011, 10:46:20 PM »
Quote from: zyklonlee;311562
Give the autosol a miss next time and use Autoglym super resin polish, autosol is slightly abraisive, the autoglym stuff isnt and puts a better protective coating on, stuff i polished back when i was doing it at work and thats been in my shed for a few years comes good with another wipe over with that, no need for mops.

I'll pick some of that up tomorrow and give them a final going over with it.

Down side to all this is that i've just got a few of the bits out that i thought were ready to go on the bike so i can give them a bit more of a polish:big grin:. Gonna have to limit myself to what gets polished now or it will take me forever to get this bike back together.

Offline BIGSTEVE

Blade project
« Reply #36 on: March 05, 2011, 11:48:11 PM »
Polishing can be addictive!!

Offline jimbob43

Blade project
« Reply #37 on: March 06, 2011, 07:51:58 AM »
its addictive and an obsession :nocomment:

Offline speed1972

Blade project
« Reply #38 on: April 08, 2011, 07:57:53 PM »
Done a bit over the last few weeks but at the moment i'm painting everything so its got plenty of time to dry before anything gets fitted. The plan was to glass black all the plastics but i've given a few bits and pieces a few coats of metalic black today and i'm quite liking the look. Thinking now that maybe the gloss black would look a bit boring and a nice metalic black would add something to the bike. What do you think guys?

Oh and here's a couple of the bits i painted today...

Offline speed1972

Blade project
« Reply #39 on: April 13, 2011, 07:31:14 PM »
Done a bit today but no pics, sorry. Was gonna polish the swingarm but after an hour or 2 i decided i have better things to do with my life at the moment so its now at the powder coaters. It was lucky i had a change of mood really as before going to be powder coated i needed to take all the bearings out. The bottom ones, i thing where the shock attaches werte rusted solid, looked like they hadnt seen oil or grease for a good few years.
Anway not much left to do now really before i can start putting everything back together and ideally i'd like it all in once piece by next weekend. Just need to get the bodywork laquered, if the price is right i'll get a pro to do it plus i now need to get some new swing arm bearing etc.

Now my main reason for posting today is that i have to clean the engine up, had a go with some gunk but the front of the engine is still black and i can see it being a long job. Could do with some tips on how to get it nice and shiney again, not polished but just clean would be nice.

Offline scarface

• two thumbs fresh
Blade project
« Reply #40 on: April 13, 2011, 08:57:06 PM »
That metallic black looks spot on :nodyes:
Raz as fuck - heavy flow

Offline Krizla

Blade project
« Reply #41 on: April 13, 2011, 10:56:07 PM »
Get yersel a scotch brite bit for a drill, use a wire brush attachment and a dremel for the tough bits. Not a polish job but it cleans up nice, polishing is just the same but with the appropriate bits n rags :)
Buy me a bullet and rent me a gun............

Offline speed1972

Blade project
« Reply #42 on: April 15, 2011, 04:52:25 PM »
Picked up the swingarm today, was so much easier getting it powder coated than spending days polishing it. Also went to find out if anywhere would laquer the paintwork i'd done but they either weren't inetersted or quoted me stupid prices so will give it a go myself. Any way a couple of quick pics, swing arm and painted bits so far...

They should go nicely with my forks and rear shock. Maybe next week i'll be able to start getting the thing back together.

« Last Edit: April 15, 2011, 04:56:28 PM by speed1972 »

Offline Krizla

Blade project
« Reply #43 on: April 15, 2011, 04:55:30 PM »
Very nice! Taking a risk by putting freshly painted bits on a cream carpet though!!:lol:

Starting to come together man.:smile:
Buy me a bullet and rent me a gun............

Offline speed1972

Blade project
« Reply #44 on: April 15, 2011, 05:14:38 PM »
Quote from: Krizla;316797
Very nice! Taking a risk by putting freshly painted bits on a cream carpet though!!:lol:

Starting to come together man.:smile:

Ha its ok they were powder coated a few weeks ago but a bit of paint on the carpet would match the grease i walked through the house :shakeno: