Author Topic: Sprint photos for Filthy  (Read 259 times)

Offline Alan

Sprint photos for Filthy
« on: August 29, 2012, 09:23:03 PM »
Just for Filthy  (or anyone else who likes vintage Sprint photos), here are some photos from the 1983 season.  I campaigned in Street legal over 1000cc with an 1176cc Suzuki GS1000.  Sprinting was great to practice launch technique and tune the bike as there is no risk of being eliminated, so you get plenty of runs.

1983 season results
5 x NSA Northern Sprints entered - All 1st place
1 x Fastest Time of the day (all clases)
Class 22 (Street Legal over 1000cc) champion
NSA Elgar shield Winner - Class 22
NSA Petrol Trophy Winner
Esholt Park sprint - 1st place Class 6

Elvington (and no I am not racing the Cortina, that was being used for the start rollers)

Esholt Park (this is an uphil course and this was taken about 2/3rds strip where there is hump in the road at about 110mph)

Blackpool Sprint (Bispham prom)

« Last Edit: August 29, 2012, 10:09:05 PM by Alan »

Offline Rocksolid

Sprint photos for Filthy
« Reply #1 on: August 29, 2012, 09:25:17 PM »
Some great pics there mate, keep posting them if you have more:nodyes:

Offline Filthy

• Now then now then!
  • Global Moderator
    • http://www.freebronson.co.uk/
Sprint photos for Filthy
« Reply #2 on: August 29, 2012, 09:51:28 PM »
Great pics, that blackpool sprint is hairy stuff. :freaked:
HAPPY TO HAVE HAMMERED A FEW NAILS INTO THE COFFIN OF STREETFIGHTERS MAG

Offline megawatt

Sprint photos for Filthy
« Reply #3 on: August 29, 2012, 09:59:51 PM »
I believe I was the 1983 Elgar Shield winner Alan? Alan Ward, GSX1100ET with 998 Katana engine in? Or do you mean the Unlimited, over 1000cc class winner, coz I won the big trophy with the most points for the overall winner.
« Last Edit: August 29, 2012, 10:06:56 PM by megawatt »

Offline Alan

Sprint photos for Filthy
« Reply #4 on: August 29, 2012, 10:05:50 PM »
Quote from: megawatt;395066
I believe I was the 1983 Elgar Shield winner Alan? GSX1100ET with 998 Katana engine in?

Fight :lol:

I have just rechecked my trophy - 1983 - Elgar Sh Class 22, if yours was 998cc, it would have been the class below, maybe Class 21, so there must have been more than one shield.

Offline megawatt

Sprint photos for Filthy
« Reply #5 on: August 29, 2012, 10:33:31 PM »
Your memory isn't that good mate. I used to meet you at Pips place in Walkden, he helped me out with my bike that he sold me and he helped you. I won the overall trophy for the most points in 1983, it was about 3 feet high and 2 feet wide with all the previous shield winners on it. If you look at your pics from 83 , I am stood alongside you with a peaked cap on. I used to travel to Yorkshire with Chris Hampson and Bob with his 750. We won everything that year, Bob the 750s, me the 1000s and you the over 1000s.
   Remember this bike? that,s you in the back of the van, with my yellow foam for sleeping on in the tent.

« Last Edit: August 29, 2012, 10:53:11 PM by megawatt »

Offline Bam-Bam

Sprint photos for Filthy
« Reply #6 on: August 29, 2012, 10:49:51 PM »
those old gsx's were fucking beefy lookin' bikes, solid steel no lightweight ally just steel and power. awesome pics.

elvington has changed a lot over the years....
Let the battle begin, with swords in the wind! Hail Gods of War!!

Offline Alan

Sprint photos for Filthy
« Reply #7 on: August 29, 2012, 10:58:37 PM »
Quote from: megawatt;395072
Your memory isn't that good mate. I used to meet you at Pips place in Walkden, he helped me out with my bike that he sold me and he helped you. I won the overall trophy for the most points in 1983, it was about 3 feet high and 2 feet wide with all the previous shield winners on it. If you look at your pics from 83 , I am stood alongside you with a peaked cap on. I used to travel to Yorkshire with Chris Hampson and Bob with his 750. We won everything that year, Bob the 750s, me the 1000s and you the over 1000s.
   Remember this bike?

Of course I remember you Alan, and your bike (have a look at my last post in Filthy's Picture post, I found some photos of you last week).  I am not disputing you won the overall trophy, but I definitely have a trophy here that says Elgar Sh. Class 22 (which is over 1000cc Road Legal).  I also have a photo of me holding a wooden shield and a silver cup which I think is the Petrol Trophy, but you are right, my memory is hazy as it was almost 30 years ago :lol:.  I have dug all my old trophies out of the loft, and I have some that I can't remember winning and I have been racking my brains.  Did you ever race at RAF Lindholme?  I have a trophy here from 83 for road legal up to 1300cc, don't remember that one at all.  I also have a little silver cup with NDRC on it and nothing else, not sure what that one is.  Might have been Blackbushe, I think that was NDRC and I won a drag race there the back end of 83.

By the way, that top photo of yours, the one where your bike is in front of the red van, if you look at the legs and boots in the back of the van, that is me.  I would recognise those scruffy turquoise leathers anywhere.
« Last Edit: August 29, 2012, 11:01:51 PM by Alan »

Offline SFC

• DTP Member
Sprint photos for Filthy
« Reply #8 on: August 29, 2012, 11:09:49 PM »
stunning pic's, keep em coming please :nodyes:
"your only supposed to blow the bloody door\'s off "

Offline megawatt

Sprint photos for Filthy
« Reply #9 on: August 30, 2012, 01:57:37 AM »
Glad your memory is recovering mate, I don't remember RAF Lindholme either, and I didn't do Blackbushe in 83. I did every single NSA meeting that was included in the Elgar Shield calendar, including Merthyr Tydfil and Eppynt, in the rain after a night shift. Do you remember the prizegiving at a hotel near Wakefield? Chris's van starting eventually afterwards and someone nearly calling trhe fire brigade coz of the smoke from his Transit diesel. Have you got any more pix from 83? I have none!!! Only a few of my Pro stock photos over the years, here's a few for the lads, sorry to hijack your thread , but they were great times with great memories and mates.
North Weald 1985 with Lenny Padgett

My first year in Pro Stock, 1984

The Dymo bike in 87/88

Sorry I haven't got any of you mate, but like you said, nobody had a camera in those days, we were all racing instead!!!
« Last Edit: August 30, 2012, 02:05:55 AM by megawatt »

Offline Betablocker

• DTP Founder
  • Administrator
    • http://www.betablocker.co.uk
Sprint photos for Filthy
« Reply #10 on: August 31, 2012, 01:15:17 PM »
Yes we like old photos.

Thanks for sharing.
Diplomacy is the ability to tell someone to go to hell in such a way that they look forward to the trip.