Author Topic: Front fork tie down straps - sounding out interest  (Read 870 times)

Offline Alan

Front fork tie down straps - sounding out interest
« on: November 05, 2012, 11:05:34 AM »
Just sounding out interest.  I want a front fork tie down strap, and I have found them on ebay, and the cost is very reasonable (?14), but delivery, import VAT and Parcelforce VAT collection costs will bring this to over ?45 (ouch).  

http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/150933778013?ssPageName=STRK:MEWAX:IT&_trksid=p3984.m1423.l2649

I have found one company selling them in this country (Big CC Racing) for ?32 plus postage, so still over ?35.

http://www.bigccracing.com/shop/product.asp?idproduct=104&source=thumb

Having made enquiries with a ratchet strap manufacturer in this country, the parts are readily available I can get them made, but there is a minimum order requirement.  If I can get a few interested, then we can probably do these for around ?10 each delivered.  Anyone want one?

Does anyone know of any other drag racing forums where there may be some interest?
« Last Edit: November 05, 2012, 11:13:02 AM by Alan »

Offline megawatt

« Reply #1 on: November 05, 2012, 12:18:21 PM »
Would love one mate,but the guy that owns the SV I was riding at SCR has decided he has no money for the bike for the forseeable future, so I may not be on the strip again! Unless I have a go on your bike???

Offline Filthy

• Now then now then!
  • Global Moderator
    • http://www.freebronson.co.uk/
« Reply #2 on: November 05, 2012, 12:43:02 PM »
Ill have one.

dont know of any other forums though.
HAPPY TO HAVE HAMMERED A FEW NAILS INTO THE COFFIN OF STREETFIGHTERS MAG

Offline megawatt

« Reply #3 on: November 05, 2012, 12:55:14 PM »
I did think about making some , but at that price it ain't worth it. If you get enough interest I'll have one Alan.

Offline Alan

« Reply #4 on: November 05, 2012, 01:04:15 PM »
That's 3 so far then which gets the cost down to ?26 plus postage.  A few more and I will sort it out.  Got a couple of posts on other forums as well.  They will be proper quality items, manufacutered in the UK using the highest rated webbing and cam buckles.

Offline Rocksolid

« Reply #5 on: November 05, 2012, 03:07:18 PM »
?10?  Yep I`ll have one mate:nodyes:

Offline chriszxr

« Reply #6 on: November 05, 2012, 10:25:45 PM »
il def have a set, im away for 2weeks so can sort the cash when im back.

Offline TeamLonsdale

« Reply #7 on: November 06, 2012, 05:49:45 PM »
Hello mate, I will grab a set at that price, can we pic what length we need ?

Offline Alan

« Reply #8 on: November 06, 2012, 05:52:10 PM »
Ah well, that was a good idea while it lasted.  I had everthing lined up, but when I checked with the supplier, for some reason, the hole drilled in the plate that bolts to the fork leg is 15mm, which is huge.  Needs to be 8-10mm, so not going to work.  Only option would be to use a big washer, but that is bodging it, so looks like it is back to the drawing board as they say.

Offline megawatt

« Reply #9 on: November 06, 2012, 07:57:53 PM »
I can probably get some stainless ends made next year mate. A friend has a waterjet cutter.

Offline Duckndive

• http://
« Reply #10 on: November 10, 2012, 06:43:00 PM »
Quote from: Alan;405715
Ah well, that was a good idea while it lasted.  I had everthing lined up, but when I checked with the supplier, for some reason, the hole drilled in the plate that bolts to the fork leg is 15mm, which is huge.  Needs to be 8-10mm, so not going to work.  Only option would be to use a big washer, but that is bodging it, so looks like it is back to the drawing board as they say.

Ive got a Shnitz one and the holes are 15mm....i made some inserts so it fitted better....

TBH a lot of folk at RWYB just use a rachet strap ..

Offline Pitbull

• http://
« Reply #11 on: November 10, 2012, 07:23:38 PM »
Thats what i thought I,d noticed too but as i,ve only been to a couple thought discretion was the better part of valour :wink:

Offline Alan

« Reply #12 on: November 10, 2012, 09:51:31 PM »
Quote from: Duckndive;406431
Ive got a Shnitz one and the holes are 15mm....i made some inserts so it fitted better....

TBH a lot of folk at RWYB just use a rachet strap ..

That is very interesting, so the ones being sold for over ?30 a pop use the same fittings, so it may be worth doing after all.  Screwfix do large M8 washers, a pair of these will sort things out and only add a few pence.  I  will see if everyone is still interested and if so will go ahead and get them made.

So far, those that have expressed an interest are:

Me
Filthy
Megawatt
Rocksolid
ChrisZXR
TeamLonsdale

Please let me know if you are still interested and I will organise it.  There is a minimum order value so I will need to order 11 straps.  The cost will be ?9.00 plus whatever it costs to post it out to you.  Not sure how heavy it will be, so not sure what postage will be, I would think somewhere around ?2-3.  That is still less than a third of the price of the cheapest one I have been able to find.

The straps I have seen are 4.5 feet long, so I plan on getting them made at 1.5m in length, let me know if you think they need to be longer.  I have checked my bike and I think that should be plenty long enough
« Last Edit: November 10, 2012, 10:46:08 PM by Alan »

Offline Alan

« Reply #13 on: December 06, 2012, 07:23:57 PM »
I now have a box full of front fork tie down straps, so anyone wanting one let me know.  The price is ?9.00 plus ?2.20 postage.  Cheapest I have found in the UK is almost ?40.  I have tried one on my bike, and will post a picture in my other thread soon.

[ATTACH]24166[/ATTACH]

Offline megawatt

« Reply #14 on: December 06, 2012, 08:12:36 PM »
How do I pay you mate?