Author Topic: Gonna build a Flying Mile GSX1100  (Read 1226 times)

Offline megawatt

Gonna build a Flying Mile GSX1100
« Reply #30 on: January 29, 2013, 07:38:14 PM »
Cheers mate. Just wish the pix were in the thread? RFD on the case.

Offline RFdemon

• Amateur Admin
  • Administrator
« Reply #31 on: January 29, 2013, 07:42:39 PM »
:D Trying my hardest. I can copy the URL's and paste them into a thread, I can copy your pics to my PC, upload them to my gallery and then post them into a different thread and they work every time! I just can't get them to work in this thread! :rant:

May have cracked it! It looks as though the [IMG] code is switched off! See bottom left corner - Posting Rules

"You may post new threads
You may post replies
You may post attachments
You may edit your posts
BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is Off
HTML code is Off"

I'm guessing it may be the same for all of this "Drag Race Talk" forum. I'll now try and get that changed!!

Woohoo!!! Sorted! :thumbs:
« Last Edit: January 29, 2013, 08:09:02 PM by RFdemon »
If hitting it with a hammer doesn\'t work it\'s definitely an electrical problem.

Offline megawatt

« Reply #32 on: January 29, 2013, 10:41:49 PM »
Thanks RFD, much appreciated.

Offline Alan

« Reply #33 on: February 04, 2013, 08:43:42 PM »
Looking good mate.  Nice win with the engine.  I would replace that cam chain guide, no matter the cost, wouldn't want to fix it and then it let go at  the wrong time and get into the works.  False economy.

Offline megawatt

« Reply #34 on: February 04, 2013, 10:14:49 PM »
Just bought a new one from Robinson's. Gotta do some cleaning and then the rebuild begins.
Hey, who's the handsome ba$tard in the peaked cap with a tache, next to you and Tony Middllehurst.
   I heard a rumour that Tony Huck was planning a USB reunion meet at North Weald in July???

Offline Alan

« Reply #35 on: February 04, 2013, 10:25:28 PM »
Quote from: megawatt;415934
Just bought a new one from Robinson's. Gotta do some cleaning and then the rebuild begins.
Hey, who's the handsome ba$tard in the peaked cap with a tache, next to you and Tony Middllehurst.
   I heard a rumour that Tony Huck was planning a USB reunion meet at North Weald in July???

That could only be you, those were the days when you could wear a tache.  

That might be interesting, if you hear anything post it up.  I would be up for a ride over to that and maybe a few runs, although I doubt if I would be anywhere near the pace.

Offline megawatt

« Reply #36 on: February 11, 2013, 11:17:59 PM »
Haven't made much progress this last week, too much DIY to do, to keep the peace. Today I decided to clean up and check the crankshaft, rods and bearings.

First I cleaned all the rust off the rotor. Not sure I'll be using it as I ran my last race bike with total loss ignition. May not use the starter ring gear and motor either to save weight

Then I blasted out every drop of chainlube that I had used to protect the crank from rust. Blasted brake cleaner at all the bearings and oilways, checked them for clicking and stiffness and then re-oiled the lot, wrapped in bubblewrap and stored safely outta the way.

Then I started the boring , but essential task of removing the old gasket sealant, gasket and any high spots from the crankcases. Still not finished , but making slow progress.

A lot more cleaning to do , but I am still waiting on the camchain tensioner support bracket from Robinsons, all the way from Japan.

Offline user name

« Reply #37 on: February 11, 2013, 11:26:14 PM »
open hart surgery
whiskey throttle with a dash of premature acceleration

Offline megawatt

« Reply #38 on: February 19, 2013, 07:22:20 PM »
Not had much time in the garage recently , but I managed an hour today. I was given 4 camshafts to clean up and use. They looked like this;

Gave them a clean with some WD40 and a nylon/carborundum rotary brush and spotted a couple of interesting mods;
Can you spot them/

and this;

Offline 370steve

« Reply #39 on: February 19, 2013, 07:28:32 PM »
ooooh slotted chain wheels
Yellow bastard

Offline megawatt

« Reply #40 on: February 19, 2013, 07:58:12 PM »
Nice one Steve, more evidence that it's a race engine. What about the last picture?

Offline 370steve

« Reply #41 on: February 19, 2013, 08:08:18 PM »
No, you got me with that one
Yellow bastard

Offline megawatt

« Reply #42 on: February 28, 2013, 01:24:45 PM »
Steve, there's no tacho drive worm on the exhaust cam. Making it an EFE cam with 1mm more lift than an ET.
Well not much progress recently, too much DIY to do! Anyway, I  received a parcel this morning:

Can you guess what it is yet???
Couldn't wait to get rid of the packaging . Here it is, made to fit a GSXR1100 Slabby dragbike.

And next to a stock Bandit 1200 arm. 10" longer than a stock arm

Had to widen the frame a bit to fit it in. Will be making correct size top hat spacers to fit the stock bearings.

Fitted swingarm spindle and arm into modded frame and tried a spare 17" by 6" Triumph wheel, with 200mm tyre, that I happened to have lying around. Won't be using this combo though!

Only managed to lower the front end about 3/4", should be about 6" lower eventually.

Offline user name

« Reply #43 on: February 28, 2013, 02:03:12 PM »
nice swingy
you gonna re-inforce the frame or how do you say it ?
make the frame stronger for the extra ponies ?
whiskey throttle with a dash of premature acceleration

Offline Chunky

• http://www.djchunky.com
« Reply #44 on: February 28, 2013, 02:13:56 PM »
Looks good bud! :wink:
DJ Chunky . . . Because I Can!