Author Topic: Alan's GS1000 build  (Read 252 times)

Offline Mr S

Alan's GS1000 build
« on: February 04, 2013, 03:11:39 PM »
Alan

I was wondering if you could share a bit about the final spec of your GS1000 build?

I am very interested in the frame spec.

From what I can make out you had a tank tube welded into the back bone of the frame, covered by a dummy tank. Also the seat rails were lowered by approx. 2 inches. But did you lower the upper shock mounts by the same amount? Also it looks like you angled up the seat rails to provide more clearance for the rear wheel. It that right? It looks like you gutted out the seat rear and tail peice to clear the wheel.

Who carried out the mods? Was it you?

Sorry for all the questions but it was always one of my favorite bikes and I would like to know a bit more about it.

Thanks.

Offline RFdemon

• Amateur Admin
  • Administrator
Alan's GS1000 build
« Reply #1 on: February 04, 2013, 05:14:37 PM »
Welcome to DTP Mr S. :wave:
If hitting it with a hammer doesn\'t work it\'s definitely an electrical problem. :vfunny:

Offline stevegixer

• fuckwits inc.
  • DTP Member
Alan's GS1000 build
« Reply #2 on: February 04, 2013, 06:45:43 PM »
welcome aboard mr s
before the locals kick off an introduction would be nice :wink:
i am sure alan will be along shortly to answer your questions :nodyes:
powered by fairy dust :nana:

SUPPORT D.T.P.

FUCKWITS INC

USERNAMES DTP SUGADADDY

Offline Alan

Alan's GS1000 build
« Reply #3 on: February 04, 2013, 08:30:49 PM »
Quote from: Mr S;415893
Alan

I was wondering if you could share a bit about the final spec of your GS1000 build?

I am very interested in the frame spec.

From what I can make out you had a tank tube welded into the back bone of the frame, covered by a dummy tank. Also the seat rails were lowered by approx. 2 inches. But did you lower the upper shock mounts by the same amount? Also it looks like you angled up the seat rails to provide more clearance for the rear wheel. It that right? It looks like you gutted out the seat rear and tail peice to clear the wheel.

Who carried out the mods? Was it you?

Sorry for all the questions but it was always one of my favorite bikes and I would like to know a bit more about it.

Thanks.

Hi Mr S

Do you mean this one?  

Glad you liked it, I have to say I loved it but it was a love it or hate it thing.  Some liked it others didn't, but it was quite radical for the time.

I did all the frame/body mods myself between 81 and 84.  Started out as a tuned road bike and I fitted a Saxon monoshock conversion.  When I started drag racing in 82 I removed the monoshock and fitted a GSX1100 aluminium swing arm.  In the quest to go faster, I started lowering and lengthening it.  The final evolution in 84 was as in the picture.  

The frame was standard apart for some bracing, a cross tube between the two front down tubes and also below the side panels.  

The seat rails were removed and new tubes welded on if I remember correctly about 3" lower at the front, but the rear mounts were stock height which gave it the broken back appearance.  As you said, this was to provide the clearance for the back wheel.  

I made the swingarm, I think it was about 8" - 10" over stock and had double outriggers to the swingarm pivot (one either side) when the norm was just for one on the drive side.  The bottom shock mounts were set well back to lower the back end and the rear shocks were stripped down, locked up and reassembled so they looked real but were really just solid bars.

The front forks were shortened to keep the whole thing level.  I managed to get a 16" x 3.5" Dymag front wheel which also lowered it a fair bit over the standard 19" front.  The rear was an 18" dymag with a 6" rim.  The tyres had a pretty flat profile as the biggest Metzler you could get was a 130.

The fairing was a fibreglass mould off an original S fairing but with the headlight hole filled in.  The tank was again a fibreglass mould of the original and was standard size.  I had a very small aluminium tank custom made to fit in the available space and there wasn't much.  Put it this way, I had to fill up before every run, it wouldn?t do two full power quarters on a tank full :big grin:

The seat base was again a fibreglass mould of an original, but with around 8" added in.  There was no foam at the front, and a standard size seat foam to the rear which provided a good bump stop.  I found a guy who custom made the cover.  The seat unit was standard as were the side panels.  The rear light was a standard lens cut down so it was about half an inch deep and bolted to a plate.  

It had Renthal pro bend bars, a pair of aluminium rear sets, Lockheed callipers on home made hangers front and rear.  The front mudguard was a cut down RG500 copy bolted to a fork brace.  

These photos show the evolution of the bike over a 3 year period.
http://alanjones.mine.nu/DragRacing/index.html

Offline MadMart

Alan's GS1000 build
« Reply #4 on: February 04, 2013, 10:07:35 PM »
Awesome bike fella,what sorta times was it running?
:uzi:F.T.W:mgun:

Offline Alan

Alan's GS1000 build
« Reply #5 on: February 04, 2013, 10:20:19 PM »
Quote from: MadMart;415933
Awesome bike fella,what sorta times was it running?

Best time I managed before I blew the motor and quit drag racing in 84 was 9.9 at 145mph, but I think I only ran it in about 4 or 5 races that year and believe there was a lot more to come.  I quit in June after winning the Ramsey sprint with a 3 1/2 cylinder bike.   The top ring land broke up on one cylinder a week before TT week and having no money for a new piston kit, I was screwed.  But Pip Higham loaned me a spare low compression piston from his turbo drag bike so I could at least run (it is the only part that I still have off the bike).  I straightned the valves in a lathe, dropped the low comp piston in and made it to TT week.

Offline user name

Alan's GS1000 build
« Reply #6 on: February 09, 2013, 03:13:32 PM »
welcome in DTP
we got a cool section for new members you can tell a bit about yourself.
http://127.0.0.1:7000/vb/showthread.php?t=37936
enjoy your stay , dont eat at tesco :wink:
« Last Edit: February 09, 2013, 03:21:00 PM by user name »
whiskey throttle with a dash of premature acceleration

Offline Mr S

Alan's GS1000 build
« Reply #7 on: February 09, 2013, 03:32:56 PM »
Hi!

Posted an introduction in the correct place.

Offline RFdemon

• Amateur Admin
  • Administrator
Alan's GS1000 build
« Reply #8 on: February 09, 2013, 03:34:51 PM »
:thumbs:
If hitting it with a hammer doesn\'t work it\'s definitely an electrical problem. :vfunny:

Offline user name

Alan's GS1000 build
« Reply #9 on: February 09, 2013, 03:37:42 PM »
Quote from: Mr S;416228
Hi!

Posted an introduction in the correct place.

im just a nosy git
have a nice day :thumbs:
whiskey throttle with a dash of premature acceleration

Offline Mr S

Alan's GS1000 build
« Reply #10 on: February 09, 2013, 03:44:51 PM »
Alan thanks for the reply and the information.

I have always loved the stance of your final version of the bike and all the neat little tricks. 16 inch front wheel, dummy tank, lowered seat rails etc.

Still have some questions. So you replaced the seat rails completely and dropped them at the front and angled them back picking up on the standard rear shock points? The double club foot arm you made sounds like it did not have to move. Beacause I was wondering how the arm would rotate. I would expect you to have used taper rollers in the outter arms to provide movement.

The reason for the interest is i've always wanted to build a Gs1000 based drag bike. Current thinking is to use a GS1000 or GSX1100 frame with a draw thru Turbo GSXR1100 with Busa rods and pistons. The issue is the rear suspension. I have the bits for a Spondon Busa arm and wheel with a rebuilt for drag racing std Busa shock.

Anyone got any view?

Ta

Offline megawatt

Alan's GS1000 build
« Reply #11 on: February 09, 2013, 09:34:35 PM »
I have two spare EFE frames ?

Offline Mr S

Alan's GS1000 build
« Reply #12 on: February 10, 2013, 06:31:48 AM »
Megawatt

Are they both EFE? I thought one was EFE and one ET /ESD from the pics?

Offline Mr S

Alan's GS1000 build
« Reply #13 on: February 10, 2013, 08:35:40 AM »
Megawatt

Sorry looked at youe pics again and they are both EFE.

Really looking for GS/GSX frame.

Thanks for the offer.

Offline Alan

Alan's GS1000 build
« Reply #14 on: February 10, 2013, 10:15:38 PM »
Quote from: Mr S;416233
Alan thanks for the reply and the information.

I have always loved the stance of your final version of the bike and all the neat little tricks. 16 inch front wheel, dummy tank, lowered seat rails etc.

Still have some questions. So you replaced the seat rails completely and dropped them at the front and angled them back picking up on the standard rear shock points? The double club foot arm you made sounds like it did not have to move. Beacause I was wondering how the arm would rotate. I would expect you to have used taper rollers in the outter arms to provide movement.

The reason for the interest is i've always wanted to build a Gs1000 based drag bike. Current thinking is to use a GS1000 or GSX1100 frame with a draw thru Turbo GSXR1100 with Busa rods and pistons. The issue is the rear suspension. I have the bits for a Spondon Busa arm and wheel with a rebuilt for drag racing std Busa shock.

Anyone got any view?

Ta

No bearings in the swing arm, as you say, no need for any suspension movement.  I had aluminium turned spacers where the bearings would normally go and just bolted it up solid.  If you want working suspension on a standard GS1000 or GSX1100 frame, I would consider using the ally GSX1100 swing arm and extend it or get a custom made swing arm.  The arm I made was really only suitable for a solid backend.