Author Topic: Gonzo's ThunderDrum  (Read 219 times)

Offline Gonzo

Re: Gonzo's ThunderDrum
« Reply #30 on: May 15, 2017, 05:27:30 PM »
It's not a well-known thing, and it's not every variant. Only the nikasil-coated aluminium barrel variants (604, late 350 and possibly late 560) don't use head gaskets. The old MT500 (504 variant) and any other older model with a steel-lined barrel uses a head gasket... Work that one out.
I hate oil-boilers.:mad1:

Offline Gonzo

« Reply #31 on: May 16, 2017, 06:44:58 PM »
Bit of a boring update this time. New carb slide arrived today, which I'm gonna swap out... at some point.

Main reason for buying it is, as I said, the idle adjustment 'ramp' is mullered on the one I'm running. Also meant I could order one with a different accelerator pump actuation ramp or cam... whatever.

The one I'm running is a 605 slide, which actuates the minute you twist the throttle until about 1/3rd throttle, which is shite for round town pottering or lower speed cruising as you're constantly running rich.

The new one is a 601, which gives you about 1/5th twist before it actuates the pump and finishes actuation at the same point as the 605. In hindsight, I maybe should have gone for the 604 slide, but I'll see how this one goes. Tbh, I can always modify the ramp with a file so it's not quite as steep and thus has a slightly longer period of actuation.

Offline Gonzo

« Reply #32 on: June 10, 2017, 03:52:35 PM »
So... On it's third outing since being rebuilt (again...) she was magnificent! Went to bike night Friday before last at the Custom Cafe on the way out to Bexhill and she behaved near-perfectly all the way there and back. Even out-accelerated (only just, mind) my mate on his RSV1000 up to about 80. Maxed out somewhere above 110mph, which makes me exceptionally happy! Idle is still all over the place, but some fiddling with jets should fix that...

Completely outclassed my other mate's CCM 644, in every way.

She was also possibly the loudest bike there, bar maybe the odd tractor with open pipes.

All in all, everything went fucking marvellous...

...Right up until I went to leave me mate's for the 2-minute trip home...

Fucking main fuse holder shit itself with an unnerving fizz-pop... Should have expected it, really. I did find it amongst a load of other dodgy wiring leftovers in the workshop of my last job. Luckily found another fuse and wedged the wiring in such a way as I had a connection to get home without pushing it.

So today saw the bike in bits and me sweating over a soldering iron in the sun. Bloody good job I'm rather proficient at wiring or I might have gotten very annoyed.

New fuse holder from Maplin soldered in, wiring re-taped in fetching bright yellow (because black-wrapped looms are far too mainstream) and tidied up even more.

Offline Gonzo

« Reply #33 on: June 10, 2017, 03:57:52 PM »
Also repaired the wiring on my OSR indicator. I swear, wiring on aftermarket indicators (unless you pay through the nose for em) is shocking!

They're dead-novel these ones, in that they're rubber, so no risk of snapping em off when you clobber em with your boot when getting on/off the bike. Specifically marketed at enduro bikes, as you may imagine.

Have some pics...