Author Topic: Filthys Z build.  (Read 9801 times)

Offline Filthy

• Now then now then!
  • Global Moderator
    • http://www.freebronson.co.uk/
Filthys Z build.
« on: October 24, 2004, 07:40:31 PM »
Heres a few pics from when i first got my Gpz (Sorry Bigd ive nicked 2 of your pics!)Though its got a nice Harris pipe, braced arm, plenty of braided hose and a plated frame the bike looked a bit of a mess, nothing major, just loads of dirt and crap all over it and odd bits of pitting on the nickel coated frame,so getting my priorities straight first job was to change the bars  big grin  It had some quite high semi custom bars on that were a bit bent, so i put on a set of Rentec MX bars, now at least i could push it about easier, next job was to clean it up and see what bits where missing, 20 rags and 2 cans of Mr sheen later...

Before the clean up and half way through the clean up pics..
« Last Edit: October 24, 2004, 07:51:01 PM by Filthy »
HAPPY TO HAVE HAMMERED A FEW NAILS INTO THE COFFIN OF STREETFIGHTERS MAG

Offline Filthy

• Now then now then!
  • Global Moderator
Filthys Z build.
« Reply #1 on: November 03, 2004, 12:57:24 PM »
Got some Carbs from papa at West coast salvage, they are a bit grubby and a bit gunged up inside but otherwise in superb condition, unlike the bike they came off which didnt look too healthy, we where both amazed at the carbs still having petrol in them when they where removed, despite the bike having sat in a police compound in italy (if ive rememberd that right) for a few years!

One small problem was the choke shaft, that didnt want to budge, at first i thought it was just stuck with rust, but much spraying of WD40 later and it would only move a tiny bit in any direction, on closer inspection i found out it had a slight kink in it, so rather then risk damaging the choke and carbs by try to pull it out i blocked up the carbs and sawed it in half with a hacksaw and put in a shaft from a set of knackerd carbs i had amid much swearing and dropping of small washers. laugh

Pics of carbs with choke sorted and awaiting a clean up.

And picked up a set of Dyna coils and Taylor leads cheap, tried them on a mates bike and they work,am waiting for my anglegrinder back so i can make some brackets for them as they are too big for the original ones, and yes i know the leads are pink redface , i will be changing them for green ones at somepoint. big grin

Offline Filthy

• Now then now then!
  • Global Moderator
Filthys Z build.
« Reply #2 on: December 31, 2004, 05:08:17 PM »
Carbs all cleaned up and ready to go on after a few sessions with the dremel and carb cleaner, and picked up some red hose loads of different lengths and bores so ill use them for my breathers and as the bike is gonna be black and red.Gonna pick up a new airbox and theres a K&N filter on its way (can use that without having to re-jet according to Debben), Dynojet kit will have to wait cos im short on cash.

Got a new ignition and ignitor too from W.C.
« Last Edit: December 31, 2004, 05:14:36 PM by Filthy »

Offline Filthy

• Now then now then!
  • Global Moderator
Filthys Z build.
« Reply #3 on: February 17, 2005, 02:31:23 PM »
back with it after a few delays..

Bikes looking a little more complete, with the bodywork on it that i got from West coast(Camera battery was going so its a shitty pic).For the rear light set up im going to be using a LED stop/tail, and for the number plate ilumination im gonna use 2 LED's that Cowflop04 gave me (they had vanished into the bowels of the postal service for weeks and weeks).

Gonna cut out a strip from the bottom of the tail section(the bit what sticks out under where its says UNITRACK) using the dremel and fasten the brakelight up from the inside, so making the rear end lines a lot cleaner, gonna make a undertray out of some light alloy and have the numberplate LED's pushed thorugh, but ill be sorting this out later and posting some pics of me trying not to fuck up the tailunit with my dremel.

Offline Filthy

• Now then now then!
  • Global Moderator
Filthys Z build.
« Reply #4 on: February 17, 2005, 02:42:27 PM »
Decided to clean up the side grabrails that fit on the seat unit, they where black and on closer inspection i noticed they had been painted with black hammerite so they spent a day being coverd with nitromors while i got on with some other jobs, when i got all the paint off and cleaned them up ready for polishing i found out that a previous owner must of stripped the orginal paint off with a wire brush cos they are pretty scratched up, but should be fine after a few sessions with the polishing kit.

On the hunt for a rear grabrail too, that will be stripped and polished to match.

Offline Filthy

• Now then now then!
  • Global Moderator
Filthys Z build.
« Reply #5 on: March 03, 2005, 07:02:13 PM »
Ancient chinese proverb - "He who cant make up his mind on what headlight he wants to use will end up with many".

And i have redface , (not pictured is a old rectangular Tzr headlight and 2 rectangular car spots).But i have made my mind up now and have settled for the old skool twin headlight black one that i picked up from ebay for a nice cheap price,at least using this i get decent light and i dont have to start butchering them to try and fit brighter units in.

(will get some pics of it in postion, though Beta has told me i might want to trim it down slightly as they are quite big)

Seeing as i havent got the cash to modernize a old bike then i might as well put my efforts into making it a decent retro style fighter, inspired by the early ones that popped up in BSH that i first saw as a youngster,hopefully it will still be fairly original due to a other of couple ideas i have.

Offline Filthy

• Now then now then!
  • Global Moderator
Filthys Z build.
« Reply #6 on: March 17, 2005, 06:30:47 PM »
Finally got time to have a good look at my new headlight unit, its pretty beat up (seeing as i paid next to nothing for it i cant really complain) however the seller failed to point out one of the lights has its bulb holder missing and the other isnt what was originaly in it. :rolleyes:

However, i will be triming it down slightly to make it fit snug to the forks and be a bit less bulky, might also be able to sand out some of the many scrapes and scratches.

So seeing as im going to be putting some time into it (I can only work on the bike in the daytime so when its dark i work on bits i can take inside the house) why not try for something interesting, i first thought of making a surround for the lights out of alloy mesh (I wil be using it for some other parts on my bike too), then i spotted this 750turbo while flicking through old issues of SF for some inspiration, i could convert it into a endurance style fairing if i get one good headlight that uses main/dip, but instead of the solid surround i could make a mesh one?

Wouldnt be pretty (by normal standards) but i think it would add to the style of the old air cooled brute quite well.

Pics of the 750turbo that i got the idea from and the kind of alloy i could use.
« Last Edit: March 17, 2005, 06:50:31 PM by Filthy »

Offline Filthy

• Now then now then!
  • Global Moderator
Filthys Z build.
« Reply #7 on: June 06, 2005, 10:14:07 PM »
Suprise!

I have actually done a lot more then i have pics for at the moment but my girlfriend (allegedly) accidentaly deleted my pics.

Got coil brackets, but the Dynas are bigger then the standard coils so i had to get busy with the cornflakes box and make a template to use to trim the brackets into the most 'i got carried away cleaning them up' coil brackets (pics coming soon).

Got a breather hose from Bluezephyr, currently trying to figure out a place to route it other then towards the front of the bike.

Airbox from Papa at WC, cleaned up nicely with all rubbers in good condition, just waiting for my K&N filter from Debben (Thought id orderd it a while back but hadnt :Dizzy: )

Cam cover cleaned up after a lot of elbow grease trying to get 200 layers of paint and baked on shite of it, gonna be red with polished lettering (dunno why the paint tin is pretending to be orange)

Got a Guilarri seat for next to nothing off ebay, in mint condition, has cleaned up good, and looks smart on the bike.

More pics coming soon.

Offline Filthy

• Now then now then!
  • Global Moderator
Filthys Z build.
« Reply #8 on: July 28, 2005, 08:43:24 PM »
No i havent sold it or been lazy. :Dizzy:

When i removed the cam cover i discoverd that the cams where not in a very good way with quite a few big scrapes and gouges out of them, havent found out the cause yet but im gonna be delving into the motor to see how bad the situation is.

So if it can be repaired cheaply (and if it will stay in one peice) it will be repaired, if not ill be putting another engine in, maybe not another gpz750 motor either... wink

Stay tuned for further developments and hopefully no further disasters. :rolleyes:

Offline Filthy

• Now then now then!
  • Global Moderator
Filthys Z build.
« Reply #9 on: October 05, 2005, 10:34:03 PM »
Back from the dead.......

The Gpz build is going to be continued soon, going to be having a Gsxr750 front end (going off THIS it should work fine and take the weight ok.. dummy   and maybe a bandit 6 rear, but ill see what i can jam in my braced arm first, also its 99% likely gonna be having a gsxr750 motor eased in....

My insurance is gonna be just great. shakeno  big grin

Will start posting pics and info when we get started...

Offline Filthy

• Now then now then!
  • Global Moderator
Filthys Z build.
« Reply #10 on: April 06, 2006, 12:42:36 PM »
Surprise! Swinging arm removed today (Sorry no pics as i havent got the camera at the mo) to go and be dipped and probably/maybe powdercoated, shortly going to be putting a bandit 6 wheel in so will post a full "How to" or "How not too" of that with pics.

Cheers to the milkman for donating a crate. thumbs lol

Offline Filthy

• Now then now then!
  • Global Moderator
Filthys Z build.
« Reply #11 on: May 09, 2006, 06:06:55 PM »
1.Pulled this out of one oilway...a small fraction of what lurks in the oilways after previous owners instant gasket orgy, wait till you see whats in the sump and gauze....freaked .....The horror....the horror....

2.Have been pondering on my old twin spot fairing, was gonna put modern lights in it but it would need extensive fibreglassing and i dont have the cash for it, so am thinking about doing it endurance style,obviously this was just a crappy mock up, if i do it this style il use a peice of plastic big enough to cover the whole front and neatly cut a hole in it for the light.Its ugly but in the right kind of way.big grin

3.Have also made a start on polishing out all the gouges and deep scratches from the side rails (pics to follow) i refuse to spend stupid money for a rear grab rail so im gonna get one made up, i have a few ideas, it wil be something original.

Am just doing small jobs at the mo, while we figure out whats happening with the motor and running gear, bit of a backwards way of working but it saves time later...

Offline Filthy

• Now then now then!
  • Global Moderator
Filthys Z build.
« Reply #12 on: May 19, 2006, 06:44:56 PM »
Some pics of the running gear -

1) Bandit 6 front end, Forks are long enough so ground clearance isnt too bad, was a bit unsure about them taking the extra weight so they are gonna be fitted with a set of progressive springs and thicker oil that will firm in it up nicely, gonna have the stems swapped over to get it in.

2) Bandit 6 wheel, was gonna use the complete bandit back end, but the arm was longer and heavier then my gpz arm and looked a bit basic, so making things 10x harder the bandit wheel is going in the gpz arm, adjusters are going to be bored out a few mill to take the wider bandit spindle, torque arm chopped off and maybe re used, various bits to be grinded off to make sure they dont catch, probably gonna use a 170 tyre, could go 180 but would need a offset front and more farting about, arms got to be blasted after its been chopped to get rid of flaky chrome.

Offline Filthy

• Now then now then!
  • Global Moderator
Filthys Z build.
« Reply #13 on: July 05, 2006, 05:03:03 PM »
Looking a bit different these days...big grin

Offline Filthy

• Now then now then!
  • Global Moderator
Filthys Z build.
« Reply #14 on: July 19, 2006, 06:02:16 PM »
Well good and bad this week, was about to re-polish the zxr forks when i found a rather unwanted crack..shakeno

However i did drop in a gsxr750 motor that went in easy enough.

Then i was led astray by bigger boys....shakeno :Dizzy:

So now the front end is going to be replaced by a set of USD's (Probably R1) might have to arse about with bearings cos i want to keep the sparkly orange zxr wheel and make up some brackets to keep the mudguard.

And to top it off the gsxr750 motor is going to be replaced by a gsxr1100 motor, first test ride should be.... :Dizzy:

(the flash has made the paint look shite on the mudguard its not that bad honest!)
« Last Edit: July 19, 2006, 09:30:16 PM by Filthy »