Restricted or go for it!!!

Welcome to the ZXRworld forum.

Moderator: Moderators

RedexRobB
Site Admin
Site Admin
My Bike: ZXR400L3

Post by RedexRobB »

I think the only detrimental thing would be makig it run lean, if you make those inlets smaller with washers surely its not getting the right amount of fuel so could end up with what happened to zxr400er. But ive never heard of that happening so probably isnt true. So in what way would it damage the bike? I dont think its true myself.

Ive never really heard that restricting them is bad, 748's are a bit pants on accleration anyway, two people i know have a hard time wheelieing them off the throttle in first :S
deviant
zxr400 oc member
zxr400 oc member
My Bike: ZXR400 L3

Post by deviant »

Carburettors are magical devices that put the right amount of fuel into the air coming through them.

If you don't open the throttle all the way, less air will go through the carbs and so less fuel will be sucked into it, and the mixture stays about the same.

If you put a washer between the carb and the engine, less air will go through the carbs and so I imagine it will behave exactly as if you are not opening the throttle all the way.

If it did alter the fuelling, I imagine it would tend towards rich anyway, as if you were riding with the choke on (again, the choke restricts the amount of air going through the carbs).

I wait to be corrected...

D

ps: what sort of muppet restricts a 748?
In the garage:
Kawasaki ZXR400 L3 - shiny
Suzuki DR800 - bouncy
1978 Suzuki GS400 - PROJECT RETRO RACER!
Kawasaki GPz500S - for sale soon
Honda CG125 BR-J - in bits
tbone2889
My Bike: tomos moped

Post by tbone2889 »

Speaking of restrictions, does anyone know if a CDI unit with an L on it is restricted??

Thanks

Tom
MveZ

Taking the kit off

Post by MveZ »

Yesterday I took the restrictor kit off of my L2, it wasn't that easy, and it took a couple of attempts to get the thing going properly!
But now, omg, that extra power is absolutely amazing, its like stepping onto a brand new bike, i smiled so much!
Kinda developed a couple of problems now (my fault for being a bit of a rubbish mechanic)
1. the idle rev adjuster thingie is not working!
2. The tank does not seem to have fit back in properly

I also found out that my fuel tap does not work in the off position, oh well, i guess i didnt loose that much fuel.

Only 2 months to go until i was supposed to take it off......
Imsimon

Post by Imsimon »

i remeber my first ride after i took mine out, was the best feeling in the world!
I am the bladed one
zxaaahhhhh

Post by zxaaahhhhh »

as far as i know a cdi with l on it is a import and a cdi with a m on it is uk so if yours has a l on it i think yes it is restricted
Mat_2001mat

Post by Mat_2001mat »

Hi, I saw a few ZXR's on Ebay for cheap (1k-1.5k). I was thinking of getting one as a starter bike and restricting it to 33bhp. This would only be for the summer until I turn 21 in November.

What soft of performance could I expect to get out of it at 33bhp?

Thanks for any advice
deviant
zxr400 oc member
zxr400 oc member
My Bike: ZXR400 L3

Post by deviant »

bought mine just after i was derestricted, so I haven't really got any experience, but i imagine (based on my fiancee's restricted gpz500) it will still just about drag itself up to a ton, will still outdrag pretty much any car, and of course it will handle exactly the same as a full power bike.
In the garage:
Kawasaki ZXR400 L3 - shiny
Suzuki DR800 - bouncy
1978 Suzuki GS400 - PROJECT RETRO RACER!
Kawasaki GPz500S - for sale soon
Honda CG125 BR-J - in bits
CarneyUK

Post by CarneyUK »

After having the restrictors taken out I would say it made a hell of a difference, especially in the top of the rev range. When I first got the bike with the restrictors in it was still bloody quick and as Deviant said would still beat most cars off the lights!!

The main thing is it will stop you losing your licence in the first year coz as soon as mine were out I was hitting the redline every chance I got.....Bloody Awesome :smt003 As you said it's only for the summer so will give you a chance to get used to the bike.

If you wanna see the difference then check out Video 4 on my website.
Mat_2001mat

Post by Mat_2001mat »

Thanks for the info guys.

Nice vid Carney. Looked like you got it up to about 70 de-restricted. Made a huge difference when it was taken off. Looks like fun :-). I like the pic of the bike in the house, was it too heavy to take it into the bedroom?

How much did you get your bikes for? Do you think I could get a reliable ZXR400 for 1k - 1.5k ?

I have 2k in the kitty for my bike and gear so the budget is rather limited.

Cheers
masterofinsanity
Site Admin
Site Admin
My Bike: Aprilia Tuono Fighter

Post by masterofinsanity »

you should be able to get yourself a nice L model for that money!
Don't forget people there is more to the zxr400 than this forum... check out www.zxrworld.co.uk also.
CarneyUK

Post by CarneyUK »

Mine cost £1250 with the leathers and tank bag. Bit of a bargain but was looking for the right one for nearly a year.

For £2000 you'll get a loverly bike. Just don't go for the first one ya see. It's hard but you gotta shop around!!
maz66

Post by maz66 »

I'm in the same position, never ridden bikes before and restricted to 33bhp for 2 years. However i havent bothered getting my zxr restricted, just passed my test 2 weeks ago but its been amazing although it is limited to 10k revs at the mo i have found the power to be controllable. I bought my l9 for £1700 and spent a further £150 on bargains from ebay, its all newish or new alpinestars stuff. So it can be done on a budget but you do have to wait for the bargains. Just go for it
Last edited by maz66 on Fri Apr 13, 2007 11:33 am, edited 1 time in total.
Mat_2001mat

Post by Mat_2001mat »

I'm not sure about the legislation but if I got caught without the restriction and lost both my car and bike license then id be pretty screwed as i live in the country. It's just not worth the risk for a 150 quid job.

Il keep my eye on E-bay as it seems to have the best deals.

Thanks for all the advice guys and happy riding and hopefully il be posting back when I finally get my zxr!

Take care

Mat