Restricted or go for it!!!

Welcome to the ZXRworld forum.

Moderator: Moderators

CarneyUK

Restricted or go for it!!!

Post by CarneyUK »

My bike will hopefully be here on Monday. I have one dilema though.

I currently have a restricted licence which has another year to run before it will get taken off for an unrestricted licence. The bike I am getting is not restricted. I have 2 options.....

1 Get the bike restricted, at a cost of about £150 from what I have heard. I would be happy to do this as it would be my first year on a bike and I'm not to bothered about hammering it, or sliding the bike down the road in the first year :smt005

2 Do my full test to get unrestircted. So far I would be looking at about £150 again for the bike test and a few lessons (haven't ridden for a year.) Would not do the test on the ZXR as this is full faired and I wouldn't be able to get used to it in time (especially for the turning in the road part :smt018 )

So what do I do? I'm thinking getting restricted would be the best option as to do the test, there is always that possibility I may mess up and fail. This means more money for another test. At least if I get the restriction I am only gonna pay for the restriction with no chance of more costs.

So what do you reckon?
Bazzie
My Bike: tomos moped

Post by Bazzie »

Get restricted, enough power at first and its only a year.
RedexRobB
Site Admin
Site Admin
My Bike: ZXR400L3

Post by RedexRobB »

Get it restricted mate, you can always remove them once youve had enough if it or just want more power.

Good thing about it being restricted will be that itll give you time to get used to how the ZXR handles without having to worry about going too fast. Once you feel like you can throw the ZXR around how you want get it de-restricted, then you can concentrate on power without worrying about weather you can handle the bike or not. :)

Also, sod taking your test second time round, id rather wait a year and derestrict it early.
NickT22

Restricted or not.....

Post by NickT22 »

Definitely go for the restrictors, my wifes L2 has them fitted and when I follow her on my 600rr she does not hold me up and we can still run all day at 70 (plus some). Plus if the bike has no restrictors registered to it you may well lose that hard earned license!
Imsimon

Post by Imsimon »

yeah i agree, go for restrictors, it will also be a bonus in a years time cus it will feel like youve got a new bike when you take the restrictors out!
I am the bladed one
CarneyUK

Post by CarneyUK »

Thanks for the info peeps. Will get the bike restricted when it arrives.

Whats the best option, buy the kit myself and get a garage to fit it? Or, just let the garage get the kit and fit it?
Bazzie

Post by Bazzie »

Dont know if it needs to be registered but its real easy to fit yourself.
Gemini
cloning technology
cloning technology
My Bike: CBR1000RR4 Fireblade

Post by Gemini »

stop bein a girl and ride it full power
There's No Explanation For The Way I'm About To Behave!!!
CarneyUK

Post by CarneyUK »

But what if I am :smt017
SimonH

Post by SimonH »

the resrictor kits need to e bought and fitted by a dealer.....you'll then get a certificate to say as such....this means you are free to take them out.....no-one will be any the wiser unless u get caught doing over 110mph!....and for the record when it is restricted the zxr is soooooo slow!! :smt015
SIR (used to) CRASHALOT
Bikerz

Post by Bikerz »

if you restrict a bike and take restrictors out then it will never ever ride like a full powered bike , i know a 748 that was restrited to 33bhp and even after took restrictors out it ran sooo badley even after being reset up on the dyno.
Assumption is the mother of all f*ck up’s
http://search.ebay.co.uk/_W0QQsassZsnow ... ifeQQhtZ-1
Bazzie

Post by Bazzie »

Bullshit, if it was driven in as full power it will be ok after beeing restricted.
Bikerz

Post by Bikerz »

the dealer refused to have it as part ex too, saying it fucks them up, so its clearly a well known tho, maybe a myth as you said, but well known
Assumption is the mother of all f*ck up’s
http://search.ebay.co.uk/_W0QQsassZsnow ... ifeQQhtZ-1
Imsimon

Post by Imsimon »

na bikerz - its rubbish im afraid, must of just been a promlem on that 748, and to be fair ducati certainly arent known for there reliability
I am the bladed one
Gemini
cloning technology
cloning technology
My Bike: CBR1000RR4 Fireblade

Post by Gemini »

im not the most technically minded but it sounds believable that stopping an engine from doin what it was built to do could be bad

i mean, it has been proven that if u thrash the toad out of a brand new engine from day one it will tune itself to be quicker than if u ran it in correctly, so it stands to reason if u hold an engine back it could be detrimental??????????

gem
There's No Explanation For The Way I'm About To Behave!!!