new ZXR owner advice needed. please help.

Welcome to the ZXRworld forum.

Moderator: Moderators

justdan
My Bike: ZXR400

new ZXR owner advice needed. please help.

Post by justdan »

Hi guys,

I only have the bike for over a week and something unusual happened today on my way to work and I really need some advice and see if it was me or the bike having problem.

Ok, I love the bike and it a very clean and well looked after bike and everything was perfect but today something unusual happened.

I notice the the idle rpm was lower then the usual 1500rmp (just under 1000rmp) as a result I stall the bike 3 times getting off the traffic and I also notice the temp level only at the 1/4 level throughout the trip even when I was filtering the slowly, usually it is at the 1/2 level.

I am worried! I know lower temp is good for the engine but the unusual low idle rmp and low temp make me feel the bike having problem.

Can you guys advise on this please. It is very cold today and I didn't warm the bike up before my ride (only about 45 seconds) could that be the reason?
justdan

Re: new ZXR owner advice needed. please help.

Post by justdan »

Ok, thise morning when I go home from work, I warmed up the bike for about 5-10 mins and the idle rmp still at just under 1000rmp, the temp still cold but I guess that is because of the weather.

There's nothing seem wrong about the idle rmp because when I stopped at the traffic light, it didn't cut out or anything just very quiet not like it used to be when it is at 1500rmp when idle, so the question is should I be worried? but clearly something make the idle rmp dropped either it is a bike problem or the colder weather, I don't know.

Any idea? what is you idle zxr400 rmp?
banner001
Track day God
Track day God
My Bike: ZXR400 L4

Post by banner001 »

right hand side of the bike, just next to where the expansion bottle is (if its an L model) there will be a black plastic "screw" on the end of a long cable...that is your idle adjuster, turn it clockwise to increase rpm, anti-clockwise to decrease rpm.

could be with the sudden drop in temperature, its a carb'd bike so changes in altitude and temperature will have an effect on the fuelling, especially from cold.

my bike idles around 1400rpm, but its got a full race can and k&n, it stutters if it goes much under 1100rpm. 1200rpm is about standard (p.s read the manual before someone jumps down your throat - http://www.zxrworld.co.uk/zxr400/manual.html).

as for the cooling, your bike will run slightly cooler in the winter and slightly hotter in the summer, check your coolant levels, flush your coolant system and replace with fresh if you haven't is also a decent starting thing to do.
UK ZXR400 L3 (1993) - Fully restored and on the roads, my green beast!
JPN ZXR250 A2 (1990) - Revs to 19,200rpm... 'nuff said :smt003
justdan

Post by justdan »

So, everything seems to bad to normal today as today is warmer. although I did played with the idle cable but it was too high to about 2000rmp when in idle so I think if I didn't touch it would have been in the normal level and the temp also back to what it used to be.

Can it really be a the weather? I can't believe the cold weather makes the bike react so differently, well I guess maybe because it is a old cabr bike not fuel injection and weather affect it more.

thanks for the replies.
KwakKwak
zxr400 oc member
zxr400 oc member
My Bike: ZXR 400L9 2001

Post by KwakKwak »

Mine behaves exactly the same cold or warm, takes a little longer to get up to temp though in the cold, as far as cutting out goes mine needs a little livener (blip) on the odd occasion slowing down to a standstill, you get used to it.
Check your carb settings, balance etc etc, then adjust the idle, only fine tune the idle when the bike is warm, mine idles at 1400rpm, mostly :pmsl
Does the low seat height reflect the low intelligence? Easier to get an asshole onto.
CaNsA
zxr400 oc member
zxr400 oc member
My Bike: ZX6R F1

Post by CaNsA »

Moved to "Free for all" section.
Moderator & Skilled Ban Hammer Operator!
Has this forum helped you out? Say thanks by donating some of your hard earned cash towards running costs.

:: <=-LOADED TELLY BOXES - NO CONTRACT - NO SUBSCRIPTION - PM ME-=> ::
justdan

Post by justdan »

Ok the idle seems going up and down in the last few days and I believe it is due to the weather. on the day time the idle seems higher and lower in the night time and I was advised that the Fuel system treatment will help especially during the winter months.

anyone tried?
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
KwakKwak
zxr400 oc member
zxr400 oc member

Post by KwakKwak »

Best fuel treatment I've found is the right hand, ZXR bloody loves it. it does, bloody loves it.
I popped some redex in a while ago, but only to clean through the fuel pump, I'd cleaned all else the old Irish way :smt109 , and reset to standard, go from there and you'll sort it.
If the Fuchs helps let us know, a fuchin miracle cure would be nice.
Does the low seat height reflect the low intelligence? Easier to get an asshole onto.
CaNsA
zxr400 oc member
zxr400 oc member

Post by CaNsA »

During the winter i will only use the posh, more expensive premium fuel as it has a higher RON rating and burns slightly hotter.

It helps when starting 1st thing in the morning and the engine warms up quicker.
I do a fair amount of motorway miles in super cold temps, the fuel helps to keep the engine nice and toasty @ 110mph @ 8am @ 5C (add windchill and it becomes -6)
Has this forum helped you out? Say thanks by donating some of your hard earned cash towards running costs.

KwakKwak
zxr400 oc member
zxr400 oc member

Post by KwakKwak »

I only use the posh stuff in me scooby, fook it I'm gonna dump some into the ZXR and let it suck and see, if i do 110mph at a different time to 8am will I see similar results???
CaNsA
zxr400 oc member
zxr400 oc member

Post by CaNsA »

in general, the bike runs hotter and is easier to start from cold.

ross46
Restricted
Restricted
My Bike: zxr 400 l6

Post by ross46 »

This is a massive debate! cheap fuel vs premium, supermarket vs oil company, personal experience the more expensive fuel from a proper garage (shell v nitro+) makes my bike run nicer, was a nice thing to put in the rs as it seemed to burn cleaner and help with any small fueling problems, i only use standard grade if i'm low on cash at the time. just my 2 cents, and to the original poster, valve clearances, balance and tweaking the pilot settings will make it idle lovely, i dropped mine to 500rpm to see if it would still idle and it did!
tobomoto
L-plate hell
L-plate hell
My Bike: zxr400l4 zx7r

Post by tobomoto »

CaNsA wrote:During the winter i will only use the posh, more expensive premium fuel as it has a higher RON rating and burns slightly hotter.

It helps when starting 1st thing in the morning and the engine warms up quicker.
I do a fair amount of motorway miles in super cold temps, the fuel helps to keep the engine nice and toasty @ 110mph @ 8am @ 5C (add windchill and it becomes -6)

I use 98 ron in my bike and car. Dont relaay notice it much in the bike (maybe cos ive always run it on that, maybe because i change gear alot) but i notice more mpg in the car. 200 miles per tankfull...
anything is possible with enough time and money. and an open mind...
KwakKwak
zxr400 oc member
zxr400 oc member

Post by KwakKwak »

ross46 wrote:This is a massive debate! cheap fuel vs premium, supermarket vs oil company
Only time I ever had a problem with one of my Scoobies, mechanic's first question was are you using supermarket petrol, I wasn't and wouldn't, he told me most of the problems he sees with them are usually down to crappy fuel. Also only use superplus from a busy station, otherwise it's been stewing for ages.
ross46 wrote: make it idle lovely, i dropped mine to 500rpm to see if it would still idle and it did!
I can switch mine off and she'll idle lovely, 500rpm thats easy :tease
GibboN
My Bike: ZXR400 M4 ('94)

Post by GibboN »

Shell v power nitro + every time in mine. I did once use a cheaper brand from China (Sinopec?) and the old girl bang started twice. Went straight back on the expensive stuff after that.

Been told the more expensive fuel burns more completely and helps avoid gumming up those pesky carbs.