Advice Gratefully recieved

Welcome to the ZXRworld forum.

Moderator: Moderators

Grooveski
My Bike: ZXR400 M1

Re: Advice Gratefully recieved

Post by Grooveski »

Was just wondering how you were getting on...
...and hoping you were having less grief than I made it sound. :smt001

Remembered another couple of the perished rubbers - the pair of o-rings on the sump and the long airbox seal...
...and felt a bit guilty not to have mentioned how fragile the radiator and oil cooler mounts are. WD the hell out of anything thereabouts systematically beforehand and if the screws are still stiff and you end up with a crosshead bit in a little ratchet - brace the tab as best you can(with mole grips or pliers) before going at it. The torque required to snap a rusty connection is more than it takes to tear an aged alloy mounting tab apart.
...oops. vsad

It'll be worth it. A few weeks ago I swapped bikes for an hour with a pal. Was his first shot of the wee zxr and afterwards he was in big grin mode and could see why I'd gone to the trouble of the rebuild. It was a gem a quarter of a century ago and is still a gem today. :smt002
Bobbarian
My Bike: ZXR400 H1

Post by Bobbarian »

well to be honest i think i've been pretty lucky so far, i took everything apart and started from scratch, i've had the frame powder coated and its come back mint, i did the subframe myself after getting the info off here,the shock was a right off so i got one from wilburs which i've fitted today and it seems really good,i had a go at the brakes but they were really bad so i took them to powerhouse and had them all refurbished, just cleaning and spraying as i go, next job is to put the engine back in. but all in all i'm really enjoying it, hope my back holds out when i finally get to ride it....
Bobbarian

Post by Bobbarian »

Miles
zxr400 oc member
zxr400 oc member
My Bike: ZXR 400 L3

Post by Miles »

Looking good

Took my own Calipers to powerhouse and they did a fantastic job with them

Post more pics as you go
Bobbarian

Post by Bobbarian »

Exhaust on and engine in....hopefully start her up b4 xmas...http://imgur.com/HiZdvDm
Bobbarian

Post by Bobbarian »

managed to fire the bike up but only for about 5-6 seconds....had to replace the fuel pump...the only way i can get the bike to fire is by putting fuel straight into the carb,the engine fired on all 4 cylinders and all the carbs had filled with fuel but it will only run on the fuel that i put straight into the carbs, i did have to put the first part of the air filter on i dont know enough about carbs to know if this was relevant...i've taken the carbs back off and i know there all getting fuel, the mixture screws are set to 2 1/4 turns...so i think i'll have to do a fair bit of reading...but at least it fired up and it sounded wicked....
Bobbarian

Post by Bobbarian »

ok replaced pilot jets and the main jets and finally got it to tick over with me holding the revs on a little.....it wont start with the choke and it will only fire when i put fuel straight into the carbs but at least now it will continue to run when its burned the fuel off i added.....the tickover adjustment is fully adjusted but this doesnt make any difference as i have to just add a little to it for it to rev around 2000rpm.....at first it would only rev to around 6000rpm so i left it ticking over for about 5 mins and i got it to go to around 10000rpm (didnt want to take it any higher)...if i wind back the throttle it just cuts out...
Bobbarian

Post by Bobbarian »

Most of the work finished...had a quick spin on my drive and i forgot how close you have to get your foot to your backside, but it was wicked and i cant wait to get it tested and finish a few minor things off...http://imgur.com/w5n1eNU
Bobbarian

Post by Bobbarian »

Taxed,tested,insured....all done.
http://imgur.com/QPew8V4
banner001
Track day God
Track day God
My Bike: ZXR400 L4

Post by banner001 »

just gotta ride the thing now :D
UK ZXR400 L3 (1993) - Fully restored and on the roads, my green beast!
JPN ZXR250 A2 (1990) - Revs to 19,200rpm... 'nuff said :smt003