Moderator: Moderators

jamesgoodfella
zxr400 oc member
zxr400 oc member
My Bike: ZXR400 H1 + CB350K2

Changing gearing for long trips

Post by jamesgoodfella »

As it says in the title..
I'm off riding to Spain in under 2 months on my H model so around 3,000 miles, and for some of the longer days where I'm really putting the miles down would it be worth bringing a front sprocket with a extra tooth so I don't keep the bike at such high rpm?

Also what would you guys do/bring with you for a long trip on your 400s?
masterofinsanity wrote:or use a Duplo brick :smt002
banner001
Track day God
Track day God
My Bike: ZXR400 L4

Re: Changing gearing for long trips

Post by banner001 »

its easier to change the rear sprocket than the front, and there is a bigger selection of sizes, so if you are going down that route thats what i would do.

get your wheels properly dynamically balanced to reduce vibration through the front, invest in some padded underwear/shorts to wear under leathers (or on top if red and a fan of superman), maybe look into one of those "cruise control" wrist operated paddle thingies (best description you will get from me), supposed to be good at reducing wrist/arm strain which is a major killer on these little bikes if you are much over 5' 6"...
UK ZXR400 L3 (1993) - Fully restored and on the roads, my green beast!
JPN ZXR250 A2 (1990) - Revs to 19,200rpm... 'nuff said :smt003
jamesgoodfella
zxr400 oc member
zxr400 oc member
My Bike: ZXR400 H1 + CB350K2

Re: Changing gearing for long trips

Post by jamesgoodfella »

banner001 wrote:its easier to change the rear sprocket than the front, and there is a bigger selection of sizes, so if you are going down that route thats what i would do.

get your wheels properly dynamically balanced to reduce vibration through the front, invest in some padded underwear/shorts to wear under leathers (or on top if red and a fan of superman), maybe look into one of those "cruise control" wrist operated paddle thingies (best description you will get from me), supposed to be good at reducing wrist/arm strain which is a major killer on these little bikes if you are much over 5' 6"...
Oh right, no experience with the rear sprocket so didn't even consider that. The zxr I've got is currently running 14/47(45? Rear is stock) so changing the front to 15 anyway.

Wheels balanced will do that before I leave, I've got some battleax BT090s on my old wheels with practically no miles on them so I was going to change to those before I leave so I have fresh tyres but will ask my garage to balance. I get enough vibration from my KH125!

Yeah I've read that youve suggested the padded shorts and I plan on getting them, probably won't be riding in my leathers though too hot for that!

I know what cruise control you're on about, I saw ones which leave the throttle open and disengage when you touch the front brake on eBay so was going to get one of those. Wonder if anyone has any experience with any of the cruise control things?

Going to buy a double bubble screen too, couldn't really tuck in on the ride home on the new zxr from Wales on the M4. Any other bits you'd do to yours to make it as nice as possible for a 12 day, 3,000 mile trip to Spain?
masterofinsanity wrote:or use a Duplo brick :smt002