850 quid with no mot, good deal or skip?

Welcome to the ZXRworld forum.

Moderator: Moderators

johnnynapalmsc
My Bike: tomos moped

How stupid is it to pick up zxr400 without checking?

Post by johnnynapalmsc »

I was looking to get myself a zxr400 but all the examples that I find are no where near Bournemouth (Dorset) I was wondering how stupid would it be to get it delivered from private seller without checking?
banner001
Track day God
Track day God
My Bike: ZXR400 L4

Re: How stupid is it to pick up zxr400 without checking?

Post by banner001 »

if its close to a member on here they might be able to go and check it out for you, obviously the more mileage it has the more chance of things hidden being a bit crap, the older it is the harder it generally is to obtain parts for.

its an easy bike to work on, however if you are expecting to put the key in, fire it up and ride into the sunset worry free then you are sadly mistaken.

with the best will in the world you are looking at a 15+ year old carbed high-revving bike that wasnt fantastic from new, they need a lot of looking after and maintencnce to keep them in tip top shape, ask for all reciepts of work done, service history, all past MOT certificates etc, the general stuff, ask for pictures of the fork stancions, brake calipers, rear shock as a general indication of how fastidious the owner has been with their cleaning, but other than looking over it its hard to say with no pictures to go on, if its a decent price (under £600) you can probably make your money back by stripping it or selling it back on, if its up to a grand its up to you, over a grand i would want to see it.
UK ZXR400 L3 (1993) - Fully restored and on the roads, my green beast!
JPN ZXR250 A2 (1990) - Revs to 19,200rpm... 'nuff said :smt003
fstarocka

Post by fstarocka »

mate - ive done this with the last 5 purchases (1 car and 4 bikes). havent been burned yet - heck i even bought a boat as well as 2 bikes from half way across the world-

major score each time.. if the seller is communicative it helps alot - done it plenty times.. of course it can be a gamble - but u have to collect anyway -

the again ppl in my country are usually very honest so not hard to trust folks - and yes im in AFRICA (south to be exact)!

Bought these from far away -

Husqvarna TE570 for $200 (needs timing set - otherwise gr8 nick)
XR500 for $250 (needs rebore and frame related bits n pieces)
90 z400R h-2 - $300, needed rings, battery, head bolts and gas!
77 camaro 350 chevy (worth 4 times what I paid for it now after fitting vortec roller motor, trans, dual exhausts, etc)
4.2m rib with ski bar, ctr console and 60hp on a trailer incl equipment - for $700! :p

A good deal is worth the risk imo -
johnnynapalmsc

Post by johnnynapalmsc »

banner001 wrote:if its close to a member on here they might be able to go and check it out for you, obviously the more mileage it has the more chance of things hidden being a bit crap, the older it is the harder it generally is to obtain parts for.

its an easy bike to work on, however if you are expecting to put the key in, fire it up and ride into the sunset worry free then you are sadly mistaken.

with the best will in the world you are looking at a 15+ year old carbed high-revving bike that wasnt fantastic from new, they need a lot of looking after and maintencnce to keep them in tip top shape, ask for all reciepts of work done, service history, all past MOT certificates etc, the general stuff, ask for pictures of the fork stancions, brake calipers, rear shock as a general indication of how fastidious the owner has been with their cleaning, but other than looking over it its hard to say with no pictures to go on, if its a decent price (under £600) you can probably make your money back by stripping it or selling it back on, if its up to a grand its up to you, over a grand i would want to see it.
Is it really to find this bike for 600 quid? The cheapest ones I've seen go for like 1.2k... Any idea what I should be checking when I am inspecting one? And also what sort of yearly maintenance costs am I looking at if I don't have a garage and will probably take a bike to a local mechanic
johnnynapalmsc

How does this bike sound in comparison to inline 4 600cc bikes?

Post by johnnynapalmsc »

Does it sound worse, or does it sound pretty much the same? I am looking to swap out my ninja 300 for the zxr400, just because I am sick of my boring ass parrelel twin sound, but I want to make sure this one sounds something along the lines of ninja 636, cbr600rr etc etc. And no I have no chance to see for myself, because the closest bike at the moment is located 100 miles from bournemouth :smt009
CaNsA
zxr400 oc member
zxr400 oc member
My Bike: ZX6R F1

Re: How does this bike sound in comparison to inline 4 600cc bikes?

Post by CaNsA »

Tell me what you want to hear and I will say it for you.
Moderator & Skilled Ban Hammer Operator!
Has this forum helped you out? Say thanks by donating some of your hard earned cash towards running costs.

:: <=-LOADED TELLY BOXES - NO CONTRACT - NO SUBSCRIPTION - PM ME-=> ::
banner001
Track day God
Track day God

Post by banner001 »

usua things are damage to fairings, non standard bar end weights/mirrors/levers/indicators/footpegs, check the suspension front and rear as well as the brakes, bring a torch and either have them remove the fairings on the front, or get a torch in there and check the downpipes, the radiator, oil cooler, general external condition of the engine, get underneath and look at the downpipes (good place to find rust).

maintenance costs depend on its current mileage and how much mileage you expect to do, but if you are going for new oil, filters, coolant look at £100 from a garage each year, pads will run you £50 a year, chain and sprocket about £50 a year, tyres about £200 a year, valve clearances £100 a year...but thats before things go wrong/wear out...and they will...it aint a modern bike, things will wear down, and at a faster rate than modern bikes...so be warned :D

however for flickability, general fun, decent speed and acceleration, you cant go much better than a sorted 400, just remember that its all 15-30 year old technology, especially the suspension.
banner001
Track day God
Track day God

Post by banner001 »

i bought mine for £1200, but ive also bought a track day one for £250 from a guy 5 miles away from me.
johnnynapalmsc

Post by johnnynapalmsc »

Great response thanks a lot, although you don't really need to have your valves and wheels done every year do you? Also I would only own this bike for a year and then swap it out for CBR600rr, this is for my A2 year
CaNsA
zxr400 oc member
zxr400 oc member
My Bike: ZX6R F1

Post by CaNsA »

johnnynapalmsc wrote:although you don't really need to have your valves and wheels done every year do you?
Like every single bike ever made, ever, it depends on how many miles it does.
Moderator & Skilled Ban Hammer Operator!
Has this forum helped you out? Say thanks by donating some of your hard earned cash towards running costs.

:: <=-LOADED TELLY BOXES - NO CONTRACT - NO SUBSCRIPTION - PM ME-=> ::
johnnynapalmsc

Post by johnnynapalmsc »

How does this bike sound in comparison to inline 4 600cc bikes?
Dominik
My Bike: Zxr 400 L3

Post by Dominik »

:smt075
There are many reasons for the 400. If you´re only after some sound the bike would be wasted and I´d recommend some headphones for helmets with an inline four soundbox.
Zxr 400 SL - 130kg
johnnynapalmsc

Post by johnnynapalmsc »

Haha that's fair enough
banner001
Track day God
Track day God

Post by banner001 »

johnnynapalmsc wrote:Great response thanks a lot, although you don't really need to have your valves and wheels done every year do you? Also I would only own this bike for a year and then swap it out for CBR600rr, this is for my A2 year
i was doing 15,000 miles a year on mine at one point, so it was 4 changes of tyres and 2 valve clearance checks a year...
guitarcarrot
My Bike: ZXR 400 L2

Post by guitarcarrot »

At track days, the noise test Marshall asks if mines a 600, I agree and it passes the test, tell him it's a 400 and it fails. Seems there's a shitload of high frequency resonance at 7k rpm where as it's fine at 6k. (Never been black flagged for noise either) If you can tell the difference then you're a better man than me.

Also, you ever heard of YouTube haha?