ZXR 750 J1 Ignition Issue

Welcome to the ZXRworld forum.

Moderator: Moderators

mikethegent
My Bike: ZXR 750

ZXR 750 J1 Ignition Issue

Post by mikethegent »

Hi All.

Firstly hello and please excuse if i'm a bit of a noob as this is the beginning of a learning curve for me.
I've just purchased my first project bike! A ZXR750 J1. Needs a bit of TLC.
It came with a replacement ignition as the guy snapped his key in the last one. The engine started on the last ignition perfectly... but i didn't like having half a key. So after replacing it I saw the lights come on on the turn of the key and thought it was a winner, end of, job finished. I threw away the old part as i didn't believe I needed it. (I now understand to be a MASSIVE mistake.)

Came back to it this week to have a tinker and show off my new handy work to a mate we discovered it didn't start.
Thinking it was just petrol I topped it up with £5. Still not working.

The fuel pump is pushing fuel. I can hear that click and then stop.
I dont think the coils are faulty as they worked with the previous ignition.
I've tested for a spark and Im not getting one. even with different / spare sparks.
I've now noticed the new ignition has different colour wires to the original. (Obviously i would love to have the old piece here to compare... noob mistake)

The bike is after wires that are coloured.
1. Orange and Green
2. Blue and Brown
3. White and Black
4. Red
5. Grey
6. White
And the brown ignition switch. From seeing the Haynes diagram this is correct.

The replacement part I received came Like the link below.
http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/Ignition-Swit ... SwpzdWsyJs
1. Brown and White
2. Black
3. green
4. Red
5. Grey
6. Orange
And the Brown Ignition Switch

The connections are made 1 to 1, 2 to 2, 3 to 3 etc... on the normal connector. I'll add pics PLEASE SEE ATTACHMENTS.

I cannot find a diagram of how the New ignition is wired but the ebay page says it suits the bike.
I've hunted down different specs to see if have the wrong ignition but cant see these colours on any other bike so far.

Has anyone else had this issue? Am I missing something really obvious? I could test the individual pins to see what output Im getting but don't know what levels im looking for.

Any help is appreciated.

Thanks in advance!

Mike
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
CaNsA
zxr400 oc member
zxr400 oc member
My Bike: ZX6R F1

Re: ZXR 750 J1 Ignition Issue

Post by CaNsA »

ZXR750 J Wiring Diagram
http://i.imgur.com/pPWjV4F.jpg

:D
Moderator & Skilled Ban Hammer Operator!
Has this forum helped you out? Say thanks by donating some of your hard earned cash towards running costs.

:: <=-LOADED TELLY BOXES - NO CONTRACT - NO SUBSCRIPTION - PM ME-=> ::
mikethegent

Post by mikethegent »

CaNsA wrote:ZXR750 J Wiring Diagram
http://i.imgur.com/pPWjV4F.jpg

:D

Thanks CaNsa! Yes this is the Diagram i am also working from in the Haynes manual.

Mike
banner001
Track day God
Track day God
My Bike: ZXR400 L4

Post by banner001 »

all your ignition switch is doing (that you are interested in) is sending power from the white wire from the loom to the grey and brown wires of the loom when you turn the key to on...thats all it should do, the other wires are for turning your instrument lights and other bits on...of no importance as far as you are concerned.

as your fuel pump comes on when you turn the key im assuming that the connections you have made with the white wire and brown wire are fine, its likely that the one to the grey is therefore also fine...however most bikes have a resistor in the ignition barell to drop the voltage down the grey wire, this goes to the ignitor and prevents someone just hotwiring the bike with a bit of wire going from the white wire to the brown and grey wires...so you need to find what this resistor is.

on the zxr400 you need a 1W 100ohm resistor (see picture #13 viewtopic.php?f=125&t=15674) added to the grey wire, this fools the ignitor into thinking that the ignition barel is attached, and that the correct key has been inserted and correctly turned to on...the 750 will want something similar, ill look around for race loom mods and see what i come up with
UK ZXR400 L3 (1993) - Fully restored and on the roads, my green beast!
JPN ZXR250 A2 (1990) - Revs to 19,200rpm... 'nuff said :smt003
banner001
Track day God
Track day God

Post by banner001 »

at the very least i would stick an ohmmeter across the white and grey wires of your ignition barell, check the number, then do the same between the white and the brown wires, you should see more resistance with white to grey, than white to brown
mikethegent

Post by mikethegent »

banner001 wrote:all your ignition switch is doing (that you are interested in) is sending power from the white wire from the loom to the grey and brown wires of the loom when you turn the key to on...thats all it should do, the other wires are for turning your instrument lights and other bits on...of no importance as far as you are concerned.

as your fuel pump comes on when you turn the key im assuming that the connections you have made with the white wire and brown wire are fine, its likely that the one to the grey is therefore also fine...however most bikes have a resistor in the ignition barell to drop the voltage down the grey wire, this goes to the ignitor and prevents someone just hotwiring the bike with a bit of wire going from the white wire to the brown and grey wires...so you need to find what this resistor is.

on the zxr400 you need a 1W 100ohm resistor (see picture #13 viewtopic.php?f=125&t=15674) added to the grey wire, this fools the ignitor into thinking that the ignition barel is attached, and that the correct key has been inserted and correctly turned to on...the 750 will want something similar, ill look around for race loom mods and see what i come up with

Ok,

Interesting. So it would seem the switch may actually be ok. I'll have to search for the resistor, I'm assuming its in the ignition barrel unit.
I'll crack it open and see how we get on.
Thanks for your help! I will let you know.

mike
banner001
Track day God
Track day God

Post by banner001 »

zx7r seems to have something similar, it should drop the voltage out down the grey wire to 6V, you can test the voltage output down the brown and down the grey wires wen the key is turned...that should also help you.
banner001
Track day God
Track day God

Post by banner001 »

mikethegent wrote:
banner001 wrote:all your ignition switch is doing (that you are interested in) is sending power from the white wire from the loom to the grey and brown wires of the loom when you turn the key to on...thats all it should do, the other wires are for turning your instrument lights and other bits on...of no importance as far as you are concerned.

Ok,

Interesting. So it would seem the switch may actually be ok. I'll have to search for the resistor, I'm assuming its in the ignition barrel unit.
I'll crack it open and see how we get on.
Thanks for your help! I will let you know.

mike
just check the resistance between the terminals of the block connector when its not connected to the loom and the key is turned to on
mikethegent

Post by mikethegent »

banner001
After much testing!

It turned out that the multimeter was showing the correct connections when in the 'ON' position.
Although the connections were correct I didn't see a different resistance. (I think... remember I'm very junior to this.. )
In light of this i thought I'd buy a replacement ignition that i could then take back if that didn't work. I had the correct colour wires and the bike fired up first time. Winner.

So can I assume it was the resister in the ignition?

New switch Loom

Grey and Green = Grey and White = 0.08 ohms
Red and Black = Red and Blue = 0.08 ohms
(Brown with white) and Orange = (Orange with Green) and white = 0.08 ohms

Just want to thank you guys for your support! Thanks Banner001!

I'll pop a pic up once the bike is looking like it should!

Cheers

Mike
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.