does speed kill?

Total votes: 0

fever
My Bike: tomos moped

speeding

Post by fever »

are cameras a good idea?

and does speed kill?

i speed.but only when conditions allow...is this exceptable?

lets have some views on the subject.
RedexRobB
Site Admin
Site Admin
My Bike: ZXR400L3

Post by RedexRobB »

Are cameras good? Yes certainly, outside schools and public places and possibly accident black spots. But on main roads where its clear visibility and low risk danger, no :evil:

Speed does kill? Obviously, but your only gonna kill someone when your doing it in the wrong place at the wrong time.

I speed but only when conditions allow? Thats acceptable i recon, but who put us in charge of that decision? Cos we dont have that right to make it, thats why there are speed limits.

Thing is people always think they know better (even i do it), but i, no anyone else havent had the training to now better, only my experience. Personally i think educating people will go along way, which is why im doing a Bike Safe course in a few weeks time :D

But we all know cameras are there mainly to make money, and most of it doesnt always go on improving the roads :roll:
fever

Post by fever »

our motorways are gonna be plastered in speed cameras soon...

why dont they raise the speed limit to a safe cruising speed first...i mean who does 70mph these days?

i dont believe in going nuts and racing everywhere.but riding a bike will be less fun...possibly a thing of the past in years to come.

the way things are going we'll have to be mega rich to afford insurance let alone own and run a bike.

wot is going on?

:( :( :( :( :( :( :( :(
cargo
zxr400 oc member
zxr400 oc member

Post by cargo »

Inappropriate speed is the problem.

If your going fast and breaking the speed limits past schools and junctions then for sure its reckless and someone will get hurt but speed on clear open roads in good conditions is no more dangerous that sticking to the limit.

The safest roads in Europe are also the fastest........German Autobahans
Jamz
zxr400 oc member
zxr400 oc member
My Bike: Kawasaki ZX9-R C2

Post by Jamz »

I speed far too much.

But i only say that from the point of view of getting CAUGHT.

I ride to road conditions - if i think 20mph is safe then i'll do 20mph.... if i think 130mph is safe then i'll do about 90mph with bursts up to 130mph.

To be honest i rarely look at my speedo.

In my view, most speed limits were brought into force when 70mph would mean your machine (car or bike) could burst into flames, go flying off the roads, or explode at any second. Even a ZXR400 is as stable at 140mph as a Ford Anglia was at around 40mph back when the limits were brought in.

I'll also agree that 30mph ARE usually there for good reasons - town/village centres... schools... old biddies.... etc.

At the end of the day, if you're doing 110mph on a road and a truck pulls out on you and you crash because you couldn't stop in time - you know it's your fault because you were going too fast for the road conditions. If you weren't going too fast then you'd have been able to avoid the situation. :|
Who needs tyres when you've got knees!! :twisted:

View my Blog: http://blog.myspace.com/nastyevilninja

RedexRobB
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by RedexRobB »

cargo wrote:
The safest roads in Europe are also the fastest........German Autobahans
Funny you mention that because some of the worst accidents occur below 30mph, kinda shocking really :|

Its gonna get to the point tho where its just safer to ride around without a numberplate. I remember watching Top Gear once and Jeremy Clarkson talk about the SPECS systems. For whatever distance SPECS covers, your eyes are not on the road, they are on your speedo!
SimonH

Post by SimonH »

speed doesn't kill people (rappers do!) its bad driving/riding.....I am all for speed cameras cause you've got to be a moron to miss a big yellow box with toad loads of white lines on the road.....its the arseholes with speed guns who hide behide trees that piss me off....that isn't about safety its about making more cash so the chief of police can afford to buy a merc so he can cruise down the motroway at 100mph!!!!
SIR (used to) CRASHALOT

Post by Guest »

[quote="SimonH"]speed doesn't kill people (rappers do!) its bad driving/riding..../quote]
rappers?
fever

Post by fever »

SimonH wrote:speed doesn't kill people (rappers do!) its bad driving/riding.....I am all for speed cameras cause you've got to be a moron to miss a big yellow box with toad loads of white lines on the road.....its the arseholes with speed guns who hide behide trees that piss me off....that isn't about safety its about making more cash so the chief of police can afford to buy a merc so he can cruise down the motroway at 100mph!!!!
did you see that in the paper too?
the speed camera fatcat boss caught speeding by a private detective.
RedexRobB
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by RedexRobB »

Anonymous wrote:
SimonH wrote:speed doesn't kill people (rappers do!) its bad driving/riding..../quote]
rappers?
I think its supposed to be rabbits isnt it?
SimonH

Post by SimonH »

erm, It was a goldie lookin chain lyric....you know.... "Guns don't kill people, Rappers do!".....or something.....oh well :oops: :roll:
SIR (used to) CRASHALOT
masterofinsanity
Site Admin
Site Admin
My Bike: Aprilia Tuono Fighter

Post by masterofinsanity »

SimonH wrote:erm, It was a goldie lookin chain lyric....

x-ring or o-ring? :lol:
Don't forget people there is more to the zxr400 than this forum... check out www.zxrworld.co.uk also.
Dylan

Post by Dylan »

The faster you go the more likely you are to kill someone, so its how much you values someones life. And the goverment obviousely decided that it was 30mph in built up areas etc....
RedexRobB
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by RedexRobB »

30mph is actualy a very critical speed. If you slide along the floor and hit something at over 30 mph like a brick wall it will kill you. I found this out on the Bike Safe course i did on saturday, they chose this speed limit yonks ago before they knew anything about this and just happened to be the right speed. Anything below 30mph chances are your gonna live.
fever

Post by fever »

do they actually teach you to ride slower?

what about teaching riders this:
"if you gonna ride fast,heres how to ride safer at speed?"
abit like how the police get trained...because one time or another we all do stupid things like speeding because after all its human nature.