Started to choke then died

Welcome to the ZXRworld forum.

Moderator: Moderators

JBFZXR400L5
My Bike: L5

Started to choke then died

Post by JBFZXR400L5 »

Hi gents. Had a problem with starting the bike, was electrically dead, nothing was happening when I turned the key. From reading on this forum I found out a small but important white wire might be causing the problem, so I tested the wire and sure enough it was the problem, when I gave the wire power everything seemed to work fine. Problem was, the white wire was in a plug of 6 wires and the loom went all the way through the frame. I cut the white wire at both ends and reconnected the two ends with a brand new wire which was the right size and wrapped it in its own plastic coating, and then finally thread the plastic coating all the way through the frame, following the same route as the white wire.

Put the bike away all fine apart from...the medium size rubber tube coming out of the air box down the left side, is that supposed to be connected to anything? I couldn’t find anything and I’ve been reading it could be a drain tube for the air box, but mine has a clip on the end as if it’s supposed to be connected to something?

I gave the bike a test ride for 5 minutes and all seemed to be working well, so I decided to have a ride to the girlfriends house. I got 20 minutes when I noticed to bike to choke whenever I asked for power, 2 minutes later the bike cut out on me in the middle of a roundabout (not ideal!). However, this time when I turned the key the electrics were fine but no ignition! It was making a sound as if the battery was dead...I haven’t actually the battery yet because I haven’t had time but I’m 90% that would be fine as I checked it last week and it was in very good condition, putting out over 12V and holding charge.

Any help would be appreciated, cheers.
banner001
Track day God
Track day God
My Bike: ZXR400 L4

Re: Started to choke then died

Post by banner001 »

The white wire should have 3 ends...one at the ignition, one at the reg/rec (the 6 pin plug) and the other at the starter solenoid.

If your bike has burnt out its white wire your reg/rec might be toast, this would mean that your not putting any charge into the bike, if you had your lights on then 30 minutes sounds about right before it would cut out.

If your getting a clicking sound, but no starter motor noise then its likely an issue with the starter solenoid or your battery connections to and rom the starter motor.

LHS of your airbox you should have a spigot, thats your airbox drain, should have a piece of tubing with a bung on the end of it, allows you to drain any moisture/oil from the airbox.
UK ZXR400 L3 (1993) - Fully restored and on the roads, my green beast!
JPN ZXR250 A2 (1990) - Revs to 19,200rpm... 'nuff said :smt003
JBFZXR400L5

Post by JBFZXR400L5 »

Cheers for the helpful helpmate will have a look sometime soon
JBFZXR400L5

Post by JBFZXR400L5 »

hello mate little update, had the battery on trickle charge over night and tried to start it this morning. Shes alive! I turned the bike on and off a few times with no issues so I think i can rule out the started motor. It would make sense if the regulator was worn out, my bike would have cut out because its not charging the battery. Where abouts is the regulator on the bike? Do you reckon this sounds like a regulator problem then?