Carb holder rubbers out of stock!

Welcome to the ZXRworld forum.

Moderator: Moderators

Stuffie400
My Bike: ZXR400 L3

Carb holder rubbers out of stock!

Post by Stuffie400 »

Good day all,
I think I have a bit of a problem here.. my Intake rubbers have started drawing air, I saw some are fairly cracked as well.
Now the problem is these intake rubbers (16065 1287) are out of stock everywhere and I cant find them 2nd hand either vsad

Does anyone know if any intake rubbers from other bike models fit..? Or if I could fix them any other way... Thanks
Poppa Wheelie
My Bike: Honda NSR2500

Re: Carb holder rubbers out of stock!

Post by Poppa Wheelie »

Have you tried Jauce.com

They bid on Japanese Yahoo auctions for you as your Proxy and handle the postage to UK
Miles
zxr400 oc member
zxr400 oc member
My Bike: ZXR 400 L3

Post by Miles »

Is it leaking from the carb to the rubber, or the rubber to the engine?

There’s an o-ring under the inlet, if it’s leaking here you could fit new orings.
Stuffie400

Post by Stuffie400 »

Poppa Wheelie wrote:
Wed Aug 02, 2023 10:08 pm
Have you tried Jauce.com
I did search there, thanks for the tip tho.. but couldnt find anything on there unfortunately
Stuffie400

Post by Stuffie400 »

Miles wrote:
Fri Aug 04, 2023 8:24 am
Is it leaking from the carb to the rubber, or the rubber to the engine?

There’s an o-ring under the inlet, if it’s leaking here you could fit new orings.
Well the rubbers were cracking and brake cleaner test showed they were leaking through there.
The o rings were already fixed with extra sealant.
I tried to seal the cracks with glue as a temporary fix (worked pretty good actually) but there is still one spot that draws are, couldnt locate it exactly

The bike runs reasonably good through rev range tho.. Problems are: rough idle, tough cold start, no extra powerband at high rpm + doesnt go past 180kmh
Miles
zxr400 oc member
zxr400 oc member

Post by Miles »

It’s not got the stock limiter does it?

What igniter does it have?
Stuffie400

Post by Stuffie400 »

Miles wrote:
Mon Aug 07, 2023 10:09 pm
It’s not got the stock limiter does it?

What igniter does it have?
It's got the blue "M" ignition box.. but as far as I know it should just do it's topspeed. After I rebuilt almost the complete bike it started and ran super well, wasn't even out of torque at 170kph.
But every ride after that things got rougher and now it's like I mentioned above
Maybe I'll try the 160651297 rubbers of a zrx400 but they probably won't fit
banner001
Track day God
Track day God
My Bike: ZXR400 L4

Post by banner001 »

The m cdi doesn't have a limiter, so if the bike is not going past 180kph or running rough the issue is not with the cdi.

Would need to check the usual things, carbs, fuel, coils, ht leads, compressions, plugs, timing, clearance etc.
UK ZXR400 L3 (1993) - Fully restored and on the roads, my green beast!
JPN ZXR250 A2 (1990) - Revs to 19,200rpm... 'nuff said :smt003
Stuffie400

Post by Stuffie400 »

banner001 wrote:
Wed Aug 09, 2023 6:49 pm
The m cdi doesn't have a limiter, so if the bike is not going past 180kph or running rough the issue is not with the cdi.

Would need to check the usual things, carbs, fuel, coils, ht leads, compressions, plugs, timing, clearance etc.
Did a lot of maintenance (carbs cleaned, plugs, clearances, timing check), checked the intake rubbers for air leaks.. there were none.
Couple weeks later when it started running worse the intake rubbers did have air leaks :smt017

Anyway I think theres still some air leak now I cant find.. so im just trying to fix things one by one

Would it work if i strip the rubbers down to the metal flanges and use silicone hoses to clamp the carbs to the flanges/cylinderhead?

If all else fails I'll just throw a 600cc lump in :excited
Stuffie400

Post by Stuffie400 »

Little update:

I found 2nd hand inlet rubbers, found out they were in even worse condition (but the bike they came out off ran okay tho).. So that got me thinking
Put my old rubbers back on with a little sealant at the o ring.... No change at all, but also no air leaks to be found!

Now it seemed pretty clear its some ignition problem. Did some measuring, ignition/ pickup coils are within spec. But #2/3 coil got around 12V incoming current when cranking, #1/4 only got around 1.4V incoming current when cranking!
(the 2 red wires to coils are split from 1 of the red of the harnass(idk why))

So it seems its either a toad wiring harnass somehow or a defect ECU
Stuffie400

Post by Stuffie400 »

So I think I managed to make sort of a false diagnose.. not sure tho

Replaced all the electrics, wiring harnass, coils, ecu
and checked the carbs again (still clean), fuel tap

Nothing changed but spark seems good after all

Adjusted the pilot screws properly and balanced the carbs so idle is fairly good now.

But... I still miss loads of power in top rpm range. It just cant pull to the redline from 4th gear and higher.
It runs pretty smooth I think and it has the power surge at 6k rpm but then it just pulls at a continuous rate, no noticable increase in power in high revs..

Havent got a clue :smt017

Only thing I noticed when i tanked euro 100 petrol (red) is that the throttle shaft colours red
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
Miles
zxr400 oc member
zxr400 oc member

Post by Miles »

What Fuel are you running ?
Stuffie400

Post by Stuffie400 »

Miles wrote:
Sat Sep 16, 2023 3:36 pm
What Fuel are you running ?
Just premium petrol (Ron 98 e5 or Ron 100 e5)
Just cleaned the carb vacuum rubbers again, I'll check if that's done anything tomorrow
Stuffie400

Post by Stuffie400 »

GOOD NEWS!! Pulled the carb rubber diaphragms out yesterday, carb cleaned the air jet in the rubber and carb passage to the air jet..

Put everything back together and went for a test ride today, ITS FIXED :excited , top range power band is back and pulls happily/strongly to redline in higher gears! :smt003
Now I totally get why its called a pocketrocket, what a small beast.
vaals2.jpg
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.