Bike broke down need help!!

Welcome to the ZXRworld forum.

Moderator: Moderators

japmannslim
My Bike: zxr400l9

Bike broke down need help!!

Post by japmannslim »

Hi guys! Need help I’m afraid!!
Took bike out for a spin couple of weeks ago, bike ran fine until about a mile from home, opened her up a bit, slowed down, and bike cut out on me. Tried to restart it but noticed fuel coming out of the carb overflows. Pushed it home. Next day decided to have a look at it. Removed carbs & noticed there was fuel above the inlet valve on NO#3 cylinder. Cleaned this out and removed plugs to see if we’re fouled etc seemed ok gave them a wipe. Removed rocker cover/timing cover checked valve clearances, OK. Noticed though that the timing marks were out when aligning crankshaft, cams didn’t align with top of cylinder properly, not a lot out but noticeable. Turned bike over a few times by hand, no noises. Decided to change carbs in case the flooding of the valve was due to the carbs. Replaced plugs etc. bike started and ran OK on tick over, but when I reved it a bit, I could hear a bit of a rattle. Stopped bike immediately. Next day removed rocker over/timing cover again, set bike to NO#1and No#4 cylinder tdc on compression stroke. rechecked timing marks, not happy with them. Decided to remove cams and reset timing, tensioner etc. when I took the tensioner out I put my finger up onto the plunger that bares against the plastic chain guide.I noticed that I could push it all the way up to where the tensioner was set, but it didn’t seem to put any pressure on the chain or at least very little. Tried to set exhaust cam tension timing mark with edge of cylinder, but it won’t lign up. The mark is either too high up or when I move it on the chain it’s too low. Thought I would check chain on end of crankshaft by removing the timing plate, but unfortunately it seems too tight to get off, probably do with an impact wrench, but I don’t have one. I do have brand new chain guides and chain, but since I can’t undo the bolt I’m stuck. Is it possible that the cam chain has stretched or jumped a tooth? As I say I’m stuck now don’t know what else I can do. Any suggestions greatly appreciated!!
Stuffie400
My Bike: ZXR400 L3

Re: Bike broke down need help!!

Post by Stuffie400 »

Things worked out for you yet?
Maybe hold the plate nut with a spanner and use a hammer and Allen wrench to use as an impact..(maybe with a bit of heat)?

Does the CCT work properly? Can't push the rod back in without pushing the little button thing?
japmannslim

Post by japmannslim »

Hi yes managed to get the timing plate off now, got my son to hold a spanner on the nut, and I managed to undoe the bolt, there was an audible crack though when it went, must have been really tight. Have put a new timing chain on now, I actually have tension now on the chain guide. I measured the CCT push rod, with the old chain installed and it was 11mm. With the new chain installed it is now 8mm, and as I say I also have tension. I compared the old chain with the new one and there was quite a difference. Have Done a Leakdown test the other day, and all cylinders came out really good with approx 1-2% leakage on each cylinder.
Plan to do a compression test tomorrow, see how it goes.

PS: thanks for the post, only one who’s responded.

Hi checked compression today alls well 174psi on cylinder one 175psi on cylinder2 180 on both the others, 3% difference between the cylinders. Very pleased, looks like I got away with my problem, ie no damage done.
Last edited by japmannslim on Thu Sep 14, 2023 6:01 pm, edited 1 time in total.
cargo
zxr400 oc member
zxr400 oc member
My Bike: tomos moped

Post by cargo »

I responded......via private message. But of course you didnt read it
japmannslim

Post by japmannslim »

Hi Cargo, yes Sorry my mistake, I did read it, but I very rarely use these forums, don’t know what I’m doing to be honest, I sort of struggle through, thanks for your response as well!