find me some decent aftermarket parts for my bike

Welcome to the ZXRworld forum.

Moderator: Moderators

Renegade
My Bike: tomos moped

find me some decent aftermarket parts for my bike

Post by Renegade »

ok still got about £150 to spend on the bike, suggest some decent little bits i should get for my bike that are not too expensive, i saw a REALLY nice harris rear hugger in carbon fiber for £60 somewhere but cant find it now lol.

getting some new paint 2moro to sort the scratched side panel out.

RedexRobB
Site Admin
Site Admin
My Bike: ZXR400L3

Post by RedexRobB »

Find em yourself you lazy basket! :smt005

Nahh, i usually buy bits for my bike that are going to make it last, so i buy things like a scottoiler or stainless steel nuts. But for tasty parts i guess go for some carbon front and rear mudguards and a yoke cover.

Your bike looks pretty good as it is actually so subtle changes i think are probably going to be best.
superman
Full Licence rider
Full Licence rider

Post by superman »

If the bike aint been servuced take it for one but first buy the K&N air an oil filter and ask them to put them in, (that should reduce the service cost cos they aint gota buy them parts) then you should have a bike that feels better.
thats what im gona do in a couple of months i think.
Remember speed kills, so does smoking, drinking, drugs, fast food and many more good things
Renegade

Post by Renegade »

i allready have a scott oiler fitted to it and i cant find a rear hugger thats cheap enough, the harris one on their site is £90 and im sure i could get one cheaper lol

been thinkin about a K&N Air Filter for a while, how much difference will it make?
superman
Full Licence rider
Full Licence rider

Post by superman »

im not sure what kind of difference it would make but i recon you would notice it. someone on here must have one, as soon as i get chance im servicing mine an wackin a K&N on. i know it will ride smoother and take better care of things for the bike. well worth it..
If its a rear hugger you want the carbon ones go for daft money on e bay i bid on 1 an it went up to like 80 squid so i thought sack it you can get normal plastic ones for next to nothin an spray em if you need to. (even thoe i aint bothered yet) i do quite fanct one of them clear rear lights i think northern andy said he seen some for sale in a thread i know i have seen some on e bay, but i like the strip lights as well. ahh you got me thinkin now.
Remember speed kills, so does smoking, drinking, drugs, fast food and many more good things
Renegade

Post by Renegade »

good idea, if anyone else has any ideas, provide links please,
Xphyral
zxr400 oc member
zxr400 oc member

Post by Xphyral »

scott oiler... urgh. It's a sportsbike ffs. lazy monkeys.

K&N filters have been known to cause problems, the standard filter is just as good. Dont buy into the chav notion that a K&N will increase power.

Theres nothing wrong with a standard zxr400, dont bother blinging it up we're british not american. Just keep the thing clean and well serviced, aftermarket parts wont help your resale either but a well maintained bike will. so spend that ton fifty on a bike equivalent of a weekend at the spa.

The trouble with having an open mind, is that people will insist on coming along and trying to put things in it.
superman
Full Licence rider
Full Licence rider

Post by superman »

I know people that have had a K&N fitted an its made a big difference, the only reason i doubt it a smidgen is that its not a massive engine but it will still make a difference, i know you may need to dyno jet when fitted but thats not 100% needed plus on the most chance it should work fine without needin the dyno.
:smt003 :smt003 :smt003
Xphyral
zxr400 oc member
zxr400 oc member

Post by Xphyral »

if you change the airflow, you'll need to rejet to get that 1bhp. For some bikes an aftermarket filter works because it's more free flowing than the standard, but the zxr's standard air filter is just as good as the K&N and is cheaper. But people who just change an air filter on a bike and say it made a huge diffeence are either experiencing the placebo effect, talking bullocks or the previous filter was so filthy and fecked up that even if they'd replaced it with a bathroom sponge there would be noticable performance gains.

The only thing i would change on a standard zxr would be to invest in some stainless headers or a race system and a jet kit.

The trouble with having an open mind, is that people will insist on coming along and trying to put things in it.
superman
Full Licence rider
Full Licence rider

Post by superman »

Well the guy down the garage who put one on his Yamaha 1000 said its made a big difference. besides you can just rince the K&N out to clean it cant you thus meanin you dont have to buy new each year... iv had one on my VW golf an you could tell the difference but that was a 1.3 (first car) years ago.
diesel
zxr400 oc member
zxr400 oc member
My Bike: Zx7r

Post by diesel »

i dont go into all this k + n stuff. i have an sp and its nice enough engine as is. cant see where ill use an extra 1-2 bhp tbh. :smt017
Quicker Than Yngwie

Xphyral
zxr400 oc member
zxr400 oc member

Post by Xphyral »

superman wrote:Well the guy down the garage who put one on his Yamaha 1000 said its made a big difference. besides you can just rince the K&N out to clean it cant you thus meanin you dont have to buy new each year... iv had one on my VW golf an you could tell the difference but that was a 1.3 (first car) years ago.
yep, see previous comments about people who change filters. If the old yet standard filter was filthy then of course your going feel a difference, but tell him to buy a new standard filter and a K&N and try out each filter back to back and i can almost guarantee there'll be no difference in the bikes performance.

You know why you can feel a bigger difference on a car? Because a sportsbike comes with an airfilter that's built to perform as well as the machine does right out of the box. Cars are generally not fitted with performance parts because their not performance machines. Just because the zxr's standard filter is well standard doesn't mean its not a performance part.

For a bike to NEED an aftermarket air filter you have to tune the nuts off it, if you haven't got a tuned machine then an aftermarket filter is just fluff. last time i bought a standard filter for my zxr it cost me all of £6 i'd rather spend 6 quid on a new filter than clean an old one.

RedexRobB
Site Admin
Site Admin
My Bike: ZXR400L3

Post by RedexRobB »

The racers go with the standard filter, if it good enough for them............
deviant
zxr400 oc member
zxr400 oc member
My Bike: ZXR400 L3

Post by deviant »

Xphyral wrote:scott oiler... urgh. It's a sportsbike ffs. lazy monkeys.
rotfl.

how about...it's a sportsbike therefore don't want to be lugging a can of chain lube around if I go for a long trip (eg 600 miles down to and around devon last weekend).

I don't have one, but that IS because I'm a lazy giraffe and haven't got round to buying and fitting one.

If it's good enough for the Phase 1 endurance team...
In the garage:
Kawasaki ZXR400 L3 - shiny
Suzuki DR800 - bouncy
1978 Suzuki GS400 - PROJECT RETRO RACER!
Kawasaki GPz500S - for sale soon
Honda CG125 BR-J - in bits
masterofinsanity
Site Admin
Site Admin
My Bike: Aprilia Tuono Fighter

Post by masterofinsanity »

scottoilers are filthy things, i think jamz had one on his zxr, can't remember now but they do make a right mess!
Don't forget people there is more to the zxr400 than this forum... check out www.zxrworld.co.uk also.