SPEEDO CLOCKS

Moderator: Moderators

zimm
zxr400 oc member
zxr400 oc member
My Bike: ZXR400-M4, ZX4, ZX6R.

Re: SPEEDO CLOCKS

Post by zimm »

easier just to replicate an M-max box i guess, its only a resistor IIRC.. i'll nick the one off steve's bike and test the resistance.

TK400 probably knows, and can mod ignitions to not be restricted.. but is the other side of the planet

how did you get on with lewis' bike ?
RedexRobB
Site Admin
Site Admin
My Bike: ZXR400L3

Post by RedexRobB »

it does appear to be as simple as a 36k ohm resistor, same as what they use on VFR's!

Lewis' bike runs again, stripped them apart and checked everything, the jet that the head has come off of is properly in there so theres no way of getting it out, not sure it it makes a huge difference anyway. floats dont seem to have punctured, float needles look good, rubbers up top look ok so all in all nothing appears to be wrong. Need to take it for a run really and see how it goes after a bit of riding which is when it pissed fuel out last time it was ridden. But started it up and it seems to run good and no sign of any fuel leaking out either so initially seems ok.

Hes left it with me, so tomo got a few jobs he wants me to do. Nice little bike tho, needs a good thorough clean, tidying round the edges and a good paint job and itll be a cracker of a bike. Loom is a bit of a mess tho, god knows what someone has been upto with it. Ill get pics.
zimm
zxr400 oc member
zxr400 oc member

Post by zimm »

36k ohm resistor eh ?

bout 20p from maplins plus a little placky box, some resin and 2 pin connector ..

race ya to maplins !

good new on lewis' bike :)

loom hacking is probably a botched alarm installation/removal..

sounds like a float just stuck then ? has been sat a long time.. pics would be good :)

jet could possibly be got at with a bench drill .. but if it runs ok, it runs ok.
tk400
My Bike: ZXR400 , ZXR950

Post by tk400 »

Yeah its actually a 10K ohm resistor .....but make sure you get a 1 watt one as the leads are larger in Dia, so fatigue is not so bad from vibration. also make sure its secured well. As for the 100 ohm resistor for the ignition it needs to be rated at at least 1 watt or it will burn out. Just make sure they are all mounted well. it pays to use stiff tubing and heat shrink. I hay make up a batch of 20 of each and sell em for peanuts wired and heatshrunk with rigid tubing. probably 5 pounds posted to your door. If anyone is interested, I will see e what I can make up. Feel free to make your own and all. I just thought for those who couldn't be arsed it might be cool. anyway just thought I would confirm those values for everyone.

limiter = pink wire to ground via a 10Kohm resistor
Ignition = grey wire to 12v + via a 100 ohm ( 1 Watt) resistor
stand cut out = green wire to earth

Now that should put a few people out of buisness.......LOL :excited :excited ( me included )

cheers

regards TK400
zimm
zxr400 oc member
zxr400 oc member

Post by zimm »

just to add, the ignition mod is just for L's.. H's dont have a resistor in the ignition barrel.
tk400

Post by tk400 »

good point zimm....lol. This is why Im keen to check out those stock CDI's. As you pointed out, most people don't have SP CDI's so my research in that area is of limited appeal. I hope to uncover some tricks with the stockers.......cheers

regards TK400
tk400

Post by tk400 »

I have put this together to assist others in a reliable waay of inserting the resistor. Without a sturdy sealed and well soldered solution, you can end up having a very difficult to troubleshoot problem. I will supply these posted in the mail for 5 pounds. ( I am shipping from Australia) However I have posted the pics so you can copy the Idea if you wish to do it yourself.

15 amp wire , 100ohm or 10K ohm (1 WATT resistor), three sleeves of fibreglass tubing, several lengths of heat shrink
solder, 1 short length of 2mm dia. wire ( for ridgidity).

Finished product.....Hope this helps people. If you can not be arsed doing it yourself PM me and I will send you one.

10K ohm 1 watt for speed limiter

or

100 ohm 1 watt for ignition switch removal

cheers

regards TK400
tk400

Post by tk400 »

By the way, In that picture is a 1/4 watt resistor and a 1 watt resistor. I put the 1/4 in to just show you what not to use....cheers
zimm
zxr400 oc member
zxr400 oc member

Post by zimm »

funky !
tk400

Post by tk400 »

Lol...
Carter
My Bike: Ducati 1098s, zxr 400 H1

Post by Carter »

need some help guys.....started out with simply wanting to take my speedo off the track bike which i thought would be straight forward! it's a h1 (though it's an sp) does all this about resistors apply to me? if so help! you'll have to explain, what's all this ignition mod etc in english please. ta
Life is like a grind stone; it'll grind you down or polish you up, depending on what you're made of.
tk400

Post by tk400 »

Is your CDI a mitsubishi or denso unit......
either way if you send me your CDI I can derestrict it. but the above instructions can allow you to do it yourself.

cheers
Carter

Post by Carter »

tk400 wrote:Is your CDI a mitsubishi or denso unit......
either way if you send me your CDI I can derestrict it. but the above instructions can allow you to do it yourself.

cheers
tk just pretend i'm really thick.....a) i have got to do this to get rid of the speedo altogether so nothing is affected, correct? b) i get the whole restrictor bit but there are three wires going into the speedo, just the pink to the frame and nothing else yeh?
Life is like a grind stone; it'll grind you down or polish you up, depending on what you're made of.
zimm
zxr400 oc member
zxr400 oc member

Post by zimm »

carter, it all depends on what your cdi is, as the sp units behave differently in some respects to the standard H cdi's... if you can post a picture of your cdi/loom etc along with part numbers* it will make it easier to advise on what to do.

*and colours of wires going to the speedo.
Carter

Post by Carter »

zimm wrote:carter, it all depends on what your cdi is, as the sp units behave differently in some respects to the standard H cdi's... if you can post a picture of your cdi/loom etc along with part numbers* it will make it easier to advise on what to do.

*and colours of wires going to the speedo.
cheers zimm, i'll have a look later as i'm at work and let ya know....nowt's simple eh, might leave the bloody speedo on at this rate!