can you remove standard velocity stacks?

Moderator: Moderators

banner001
Track day God
Track day God
My Bike: ZXR400 L4

can you remove standard velocity stacks?

Post by banner001 »

who ever last (not me) removed the metal plate that holds your black plastic velocity stacks has replaced it in such a way that 3 of the 4 stacks has buckled inwards, i have a picture here:-

you can see that the one on the right has buckled...so i am wondering if these can be replaced, they seem like really hard plastic so is it possible to remove and replace them? microfiche lists them as a seperate item...but im not sure if it is possible to replace them without damaging them as they are fairly robust, maybe a bit of boiling water to soften them...but then does this defeat my purpose?

i have also seen that that sealing ring is knackered, will order :D have flipped it over for the time being.
UK ZXR400 L3 (1993) - Fully restored and on the roads, my green beast!
JPN ZXR250 A2 (1990) - Revs to 19,200rpm... 'nuff said :smt003
banner001
Track day God
Track day God

Re: can you remove standard velocity stacks?

Post by banner001 »

anyone?
Tirpitz
zxr400 oc member
zxr400 oc member
My Bike: Kawasaki ZXR400L4

Post by Tirpitz »

You should be able to tell yourself whether you can physically replace them (i.e. they disassemble) and one call to Cradleys will tell you whether they are available to buy. If the answer to either of those questions is a no then it's game over. Economically it may be cheaper to buy a second hand set of carbs.
ZXR400 L4, purple / black / pink
Hel braided hoses
Pirelli Diablos
Ohlins steering damper
A16 carbon fibre exhaust can
Nitron Sport shock
banner001
Track day God
Track day God

Post by banner001 »

they are available on their own, but as noone looks to have ever removed them it might need to be an ebay buy, will email sellers to check them for me...
zimm
zxr400 oc member
zxr400 oc member
My Bike: ZXR400-M4, ZX4, ZX6R.

Post by zimm »

pop them in the oven @ about 50-80 degrees C, they'll soften and come out easy (dont burn yourself !) new ones are more flexible, they just harden up with age/fuel exposure/heat cycles..

If you're lucky you can warm them up, pop them out, manipulate them till they arent all bent up then pop them onto the carbs individually (ie without the plate) and leave them to cool.. they'll harden up again but "remoulded" to fit the carbs.. then warm them up again and gently re-fit into the plate minimising distortion to the lip.. then maybe some further warming and ensuring they are all looking ok re-fit the plate to the carbs carefully and leave to cool. With luck they'll all slip on and be fine..

top tip : to avoid this happening only separate the plate and the carbs when they are cool.. if you have to do it warm have a set of carbs on the bench to pop them straight onto.
banner001
Track day God
Track day God

Post by banner001 »

new ones are ~£14 from cradleys, so thats £42...can probably buy full carbs for that...will ahve to see what breakers will offer me, but good to know that they can be replaced. TBH once they are replaced they can stay on for cleaning purposes, no real need to remove them, unless they are proper full of cack!