Air filter blow back?

Moderator: Moderators

KwakKwak
zxr400 oc member
zxr400 oc member
My Bike: ZXR 400L9 2001

Air filter blow back?

Post by KwakKwak »

Can anyone tell me if the L9 is meant to have an airfilter oil catchment tank, my bike, (just bought) has the rectangular shaped retainer for the tube, as per the 750, but no sign of the tube. The reason i ask is, after running the bike there is usually a drip or two of what appears to be soapy/oily water on the garage floor just below the retainer, slightly forward of the rear brake pedal. The dealer I shipped the bike from told me it was blowback from the air filter, the 400s do this, so not to be concerned. I am in Northern Ireland by the way, so taking the bike back to the dealer(Cornwall) is not really an option.
Any ideas, thoughts gratefully appreciated.
Last edited by KwakKwak on Sat Aug 24, 2013 2:21 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Does the low seat height reflect the low intelligence? Easier to get an asshole onto.
RedexRobB
Site Admin
Site Admin
My Bike: ZXR400L3

Re: AIR FILTER BLOWBACK ?

Post by RedexRobB »

got a picture?

The only catchment i know of from the airbox is a tube that runs down the left from the airbox down to the front sprocket. That has a bung in the end to let out any excess oil or water.

Cant think of anywhere else that it may come out :smt017
banner001
Track day God
Track day God
My Bike: ZXR400 L4

Post by banner001 »

i think the L9 has a strange thing that comes out the rear right side of the airbox, it might be part of that?

upper middle right hand side is crankcase breather, lower middle left side is the airbox drain tube.
UK ZXR400 L3 (1993) - Fully restored and on the roads, my green beast!
JPN ZXR250 A2 (1990) - Revs to 19,200rpm... 'nuff said :smt003
KwakKwak
zxr400 oc member
zxr400 oc member

Post by KwakKwak »

Thanks for the replies, here's a picture of the leak, the last time out the bike did not drip any oil?, and the bike is parked slightly forward, say 150mm from its usual position.
OIL LEAK.JPG
It might be something simple like a worn o ring on the drain plug, I assume this is meant to be replaced each time you perform an oil change, the dealer said the oil was changed before I shipped the bike, probably!
What is square the retainer for then?
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
Does the low seat height reflect the low intelligence? Easier to get an asshole onto.
banner001
Track day God
Track day God
My Bike: ZXR400 L4

Post by banner001 »

some arrows on the picture might help...but the "square retainer" you mention is the fuel tank breather holder.

what you are going to need to do is take off the side panels and look to see where the oil is coming from, it couls be from the oil cooler, clutch gasket, clutch lever, oil drain, pulsar cover, generator cover...but you wont know until you remove the panels and take a look.
UK ZXR400 L3 (1993) - Fully restored and on the roads, my green beast!
JPN ZXR250 A2 (1990) - Revs to 19,200rpm... 'nuff said :smt003
KwakKwak
zxr400 oc member
zxr400 oc member

Post by KwakKwak »

Cheers mate,
but you wont know until you remove the panels and take a look.
Sound like another job for me, currently refurbing my old AR80, could do without another job!
KwakKwak
zxr400 oc member
zxr400 oc member

Post by KwakKwak »

Just got round to this problem again, found the leak, coming from the pick up / pulsingcover, leak would appear to be oil and petrol. although the petrol could be from issues above, presently being sorted. Anyone had this issue, I'm hoping it's just a gasket change, its the only area with any oil seepage, just happens to be right beside the coolant breather tube, hence the confusion.
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
KwakKwak
zxr400 oc member
zxr400 oc member

Re: Air filter blow back?

Post by KwakKwak »

Just to tidy this one up, replaced the pulsing gasket, someone had already fitted a new gasket by the look of it, but had not siliconed the two seams and the wiring rubber. After riding the bike I noticed there was still oil seeping out, my new Rockoil! Turns out the O ring in the cam chain tensioner needed replacing too.
Moral of the story, first, don't accept what the dealer tells you, second, replace the gasket and the O ring together if you have a leak in this area.
I had just bought the bike and wanted to ride it, so accepted the dealers air filter blow back bull all too easily, lesson learnt.
Cheers to RedexRobB for pointing out where the air filter drain actually is, to Banner for pointing out what to check, and to cargo for answering all my dumbass questions regarding the timing etc :smt023
cargo
zxr400 oc member
zxr400 oc member
My Bike: tomos moped

Post by cargo »

My reputation is ruined
:smt002
KwakKwak
zxr400 oc member
zxr400 oc member

Post by KwakKwak »

cargo wrote:My reputation is ruined
:smt002
You have a reputation? shocking
ross46
Restricted
Restricted
My Bike: zxr 400 l6

Post by ross46 »

Air filter blowback can be a sign of a lean mixture, just saying, check your pilots are right
KwakKwak
zxr400 oc member
zxr400 oc member

Post by KwakKwak »

ross46 wrote:Air filter blowback can be a sign of a lean mixture, just saying, check your pilots are right
Cheers Ross, the dealer was trying to suggest blowback, but I had two oil leaks, pick up cover and cam chain tensioner, pilots etc all correct, carbs all set completely standard, waiting to get a good run on the bike and rev her through the range, just had my pelvis clicked back into shape, so not keen on riding at the moment! can't really turn my head or move much for that matter.
Had a quick blast recently, revved very cleanly to 12000, but traffic stopped any further fun, but all seems well.
ross46
Restricted
Restricted

Post by ross46 »

know the feeling, tripping on a kids toy and having to have an ambulance called because your backs gone is not fun!
KwakKwak
zxr400 oc member
zxr400 oc member

Post by KwakKwak »

Rememeber reading a post sometime ago from someone in hospital with a fooked back, didn't realise that was you, a bad back and zxr is such a good mix. I did my off road manouvres with my pelvis twisted, and a numb right foot, made the rear brake balancing soooo hard.
Should add the reason I do not think the bike is running lean, seems to be running well, idles nice, and when revved does not hang on the revs when coming back to idle, when she was running rich the revs would drop to 1000 or below on dropping back to idle. Bike also smells good, if you know what I mean. When I was riding years ago I always just went by how my bikes felt, you just sort of know if somethings not right, saying that I have little experience with the zxr so far, but gut instinct tells me bike is running well, possibly slightly lean.
ross46
Restricted
Restricted

Post by ross46 »

I'm in and out like a yoyo :pmsl and yeah, you know when it runs right