how to set up your carbs

Moderator: Moderators

maelstrom
My Bike: tomos moped

Re: how to set up your carbs

Post by maelstrom »

Ok, got that. You need to send me a shipping address too.
You can use any images you like so long as somewhere you make mention of where they came from, I'm happy.
cheers
Blair
Carb kits in viton
http://litetek.co
ross46
Restricted
Restricted
My Bike: zxr 400 l6

Post by ross46 »

send me a personal email address and we'll talk more on that unless the liketek is yours?
maelstrom
My Bike: tomos moped

Post by maelstrom »

Ross,
"unless the LiteTek is yours"
I am not sure what you mean? LiteTek is mine, the carb kits are produced by me and the photos are taken by my good friend James. They are not made by someone else. Some photos, like those for the Yamaha FZR400 1WG assembly guides, were sent to me by a customer with his blessing.
cheers
Blair
Carb kits in viton
http://litetek.co
KwakKwak
zxr400 oc member
zxr400 oc member
My Bike: ZXR 400L9 2001

Post by KwakKwak »

This is a great guide Ross, using it at present to standardise my carbs, one question, hopefully not a stupid one, when I drained the carbs, 4 and 3 drained out a similar ammount of juice, 2 was empty, 1 poured out, is this normal or a symptom of badly set up carbs, bike was running badly to say the least, Viton kit on its way too :smt002
Does the low seat height reflect the low intelligence? Easier to get an asshole onto.
ross46
Restricted
Restricted

Post by ross46 »

Could either be badly set up carbs with the floats set wrong, had you taken the carbs off at this point? When I take mine off I normally have some fuel come out of the overflows but normally drain a similar amount, if 2 has no fuel then it could be the float is stuck closed not letting any fuel into the float bowl making the bike pretty much run on 3, any questions just ask
KwakKwak
zxr400 oc member
zxr400 oc member

Post by KwakKwak »

Cheers Ross, the carbs were drained on the bike before removal, the bike was on the side stand now that I think of it, not the paddock stand, don't know if this would explain it - 1 sitting lowest? Floats seemed fine, 110 jets to all four carbs though! Will be fitting 90s to start off with. Having serious problems removing the float filter valves, scared i.m gonna shred them, £60 odd each, pricey, they are stuck with old fuel gunk, sprayed with carb cleaner, wd40, covered pliers, moved them around gently with a screwdriver, but buggered if they will budge, am I missing something? Everything is stripped, cleaned and waiting to go back in, but for these buggers. Got one out, the mesh dome is a little mishapen but not damaged, did you have any of these issues.
Does the low seat height reflect the low intelligence? Easier to get an asshole onto.
ross46
Restricted
Restricted

Post by ross46 »

grip them with some locking pliers round the outside, and the actual filter bits are only £4.50 each, so if there really bad, might just be worth replacing them as they only clip on
KwakKwak
zxr400 oc member
zxr400 oc member

Post by KwakKwak »

Got another out, last two are stuck solid, reckon patience and possibly nice shiney new pliers will help, ta for your help. :smt002
ross46
Restricted
Restricted

Post by ross46 »

No problem, as I said, this is about setting up the carbs, banners has more information on the side of stripping, that's why I said to use in conjunction
KwakKwak
zxr400 oc member
zxr400 oc member

Post by KwakKwak »

All 4 out, it's like almost giving up the ciggies, one a day :excited Cheers for the help.
ross46
Restricted
Restricted

Post by ross46 »

No problem, though may get the mods to lock this thread after ive perfected it and got my carbs back from banner after being sonicated, then all the seals will be green (maelstrom :smt002 )
banner001
Track day God
Track day God
My Bike: ZXR400 L4

Post by banner001 »

ross46 wrote:No problem, though may get the mods to lock this thread after ive perfected it and got my carbs back from banner after being sonicated, then all the seals will be green (maelstrom :smt002 )
ill strip yours tonight, and get half sonicated tomorrow night, the rest ill sonicate after epic journey...so maybe bank holiday monday if ive recovered sufficiently. dont worry about posting the tyre, i should be off to a mates soon in london, we will do a quick swap carbs for tyre then, probably 1-2 weeks after the bank holiday weekend? - or if thats too late, for you ill post the carbs.
UK ZXR400 L3 (1993) - Fully restored and on the roads, my green beast!
JPN ZXR250 A2 (1990) - Revs to 19,200rpm... 'nuff said :smt003
ross46
Restricted
Restricted

Post by ross46 »

BANNER! Welcome back, yeah alright, we'll sort something out, I'll redo all the pictures with a better camera, rather than my phone, so any new stuff people want just put
masterofinsanity
Site Admin
Site Admin
My Bike: Aprilia Tuono Fighter

Post by masterofinsanity »

great write up, can i use it to add to the main website?
Don't forget people there is more to the zxr400 than this forum... check out www.zxrworld.co.uk also.
ross46
Restricted
Restricted

Post by ross46 »

Of course, but can you give it a bit as im not 100% happy with it, so can I finish it properly first?