Fuel tank internal help

Moderator: Moderators

KwakKwak
zxr400 oc member
zxr400 oc member
My Bike: ZXR 400L9 2001

Fuel tank internal help

Post by KwakKwak »

Can anyone tell me if the inside of the tank has any upstands or bolt housings where the fuel tap seats, I have removed the tap to replace the seal, I am also going to clean and seal the lower reaches of the tank, I was putting the fuel tap bolts back in to seal the holes when I heard a horrible crack then a clunk as something fell in the tank, I eventually fished out a 25mm sq. lump of what appears to be solidified petrol see pic. When I look into the fuel tap hole there is what I assume to be a load more of this, I do not want to break it off until I am sure it is not an upstand for the bolts to fix to, I would have thought there is just a fixed nut or similar on the inside of the tank. I have not had the bike for long, shipped from Cornwall to me in N.Ireland, and reckon bike has been unused for some time, I am having other issues, more of these later!
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
Last edited by KwakKwak on Sat Aug 24, 2013 2:22 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Does the low seat height reflect the low intelligence? Easier to get an asshole onto.
cargo
zxr400 oc member
zxr400 oc member
My Bike: tomos moped

Re: FUEL TANK INTERNAL HELP

Post by cargo »

Helpful post #2877.................

The tap screws are threaded into the tank so nothing should fall loose inside......................

I notice your in Carrickfergus.................I'm not far away and am happy to help.
KwakKwak
zxr400 oc member
zxr400 oc member

Post by KwakKwak »

Cheers cargo, would love some help, amazed to see a fellow Carrick guy here, bike has a few issues, stripping it at present, has obviously been unused for a while, erratic running to say the least.
Does the low seat height reflect the low intelligence? Easier to get an asshole onto.
cargo
zxr400 oc member
zxr400 oc member

Post by cargo »

Lack of use is the ZXRs worst enemy.....................thrash em every day..............and all will be good.

I've got lots of bits a pieces too.............................
KwakKwak
zxr400 oc member
zxr400 oc member

Post by KwakKwak »

On my first ride it cut out on me turning into milestone garage, a helpful guy on a zx12r, I think, told me it was an air issue, he had owned a couple of them, by some freak of nature that wouldn't be you would it? Seal below airbox was totally shot caked in old petrol, plugs are out, they were f--ked, , carbs about to come off too. Bike was seemingly serviced in Cornwall before it was shipped to me, serviced my ass, there was a snail in the airbox! not sure if it was a Kwak genuine part.
cargo
zxr400 oc member
zxr400 oc member

Post by cargo »

ZRX 1100 actually..................... :pmsl
KwakKwak
zxr400 oc member
zxr400 oc member

Post by KwakKwak »

Was it yourself then?
cargo
zxr400 oc member
zxr400 oc member

Post by cargo »

It was yes..............small world
KwakKwak
zxr400 oc member
zxr400 oc member

Post by KwakKwak »

Just pmed you, off out to garage now, cheers mate.
KwakKwak
zxr400 oc member
zxr400 oc member

Post by KwakKwak »

After cargo confirming no upstands etc in tank I persuaded lumps of this resin off at the tap opening, lumps of crud have came out about 1/4 litre, spent yesterday in the driveway shaking my tank and tweezing out resin, it was such fun, there is still resin in the reserve area of the tank which I think I will just leave, considered MEK or acetone to loosen, then Kreem the tank, but rest of tank is fine, no rust, and unless I get all the resin out the Kreem will not cure correctly giving me more problems, Considering washing out the tank in a light oil WD40 or something similar, anyone got an opinion?
Have ball bearings to loosen the stuff, but in two mind about ballsing my tank up, no pun intended.
ross46
Restricted
Restricted
My Bike: zxr 400 l6

Post by ross46 »

I reckon something like acetone should break down the resin, get a bit and put in a bowl or cup and just pour some nail polish remover on it, see what happens
KwakKwak
zxr400 oc member
zxr400 oc member

Post by KwakKwak »

Nail polish remover, why did I not think of that, off to annoy the wife, will try it, cheers.
ross46
Restricted
Restricted
My Bike: zxr 400 l6

Post by ross46 »

No problem, its what I use for most stuff, its mostly acetone with a few other bits in, if I was you I would buy a cheap bottle for a quid and use that, women dont seem to like it when you use their £5 a bottle nail polish remover for bike parts :tease
KwakKwak
zxr400 oc member
zxr400 oc member

Post by KwakKwak »

Left a lump in nail polish remover overnight, did not even soften it, the wife is well chuffed, used most of her bottle :smt010 .
Whats left in the tank willl stay in the tank, want to get the bike running for a while, only done 130 miles since passing my test. Might come back at the tank over winter.
Just ordered the valve seat mesh caps, as you pointed out on your carb set up post, they can be bought separately, had to put in bike as an L2, for some reason for the L9 you have to buy the full assembly £60 odd quid.
banner001
Track day God
Track day God
My Bike: ZXR400 L4

Post by banner001 »

you could try and dissolve it in petrol or diesel - its going to need something more aliphatic than acetone...though to be honest, if its already congealed into petroleum resin you might find that only mechanical force will remove it.

if you can get hold of certain chemicals you are gonna have to try aromatic hydrocarbon solvents (benzene etc), ideally esterified or chlorinated.

this is what pure petroleum resin looks like...
UK ZXR400 L3 (1993) - Fully restored and on the roads, my green beast!
JPN ZXR250 A2 (1990) - Revs to 19,200rpm... 'nuff said :smt003