The story so far

Moderator: Moderators

KwakKwak
zxr400 oc member
zxr400 oc member
My Bike: ZXR 400L9 2001

Re: The story so far

Post by KwakKwak »

Dorset shortwing wrote: the bike is totally standard so far even down to original tool kit so expect to find original items
As was mine, toolkit etc, still had 110 jets in it though, are you sure that exhaust system is standard????
Does the low seat height reflect the low intelligence? Easier to get an asshole onto.
Dorset shortwing
My Bike: tomos moped

Post by Dorset shortwing »

KwakKwak wrote:
Dorset shortwing wrote: the bike is totally standard so far even down to original tool kit so expect to find original items
As was mine, toolkit etc, still had 110 jets in it though, are you sure that exhaust system is standard????
Positive bud, the bike has had two owners before me and massive amounts of history inc all mots until sorn in 09 and service stamps and receipts and the can is the original so are the down pipes , i did think the air filter was a bit to wet with oil but left it as is , i will wash it and redo the filter oil.
Dorset shortwing

The exhaust is in the pic's :pmsl
Dorset shortwing

Kwak is yours a grey import or genuine import ??
KwakKwak
zxr400 oc member
zxr400 oc member

Post by KwakKwak »

Dorset shortwing wrote:Kwak is yours a grey import or genuine import ??
Genuine import, and I can see the pipe, not the headers though :smt002 Never seen a standard can :pmsl

There is a pipe on the left side close to the lower fairing edge, take out the bung, it will drain excess filter oil and any condensate out of the air box, caught me out when I first got mine, stuff pissed out of it.
Does the low seat height reflect the low intelligence? Easier to get an asshole onto.
banner001
Track day God
Track day God
My Bike: ZXR400 L4

Post by banner001 »

Dorset shortwing wrote:
banner001 wrote:once above 2000 rpm it pulls fine right up to about 8000 rpm then needs half choke to scream up to the red line so it's the initial throttle form idle and the top end of the rev range that it suffers.
simple fix, buy jets the next size up, so if running 95, buy 98's (sometimes these are listed as 97.5), if running 98's, buy 100's, that should sort it out, if not get the next size again, 4 jets is gonna set you back ~£13
UK ZXR400 L3 (1993) - Fully restored and on the roads, my green beast!
JPN ZXR250 A2 (1990) - Revs to 19,200rpm... 'nuff said :smt003
Dorset shortwing

banner001 wrote:
Dorset shortwing wrote:
banner001 wrote:once above 2000 rpm it pulls fine right up to about 8000 rpm then needs half choke to scream up to the red line so it's the initial throttle form idle and the top end of the rev range that it suffers.
simple fix, buy jets the next size up, so if running 95, buy 98's (sometimes these are listed as 97.5), if running 98's, buy 100's, that should sort it out, if not get the next size again, 4 jets is gonna set you back ~£13
Thanks Banner
ross46
Restricted
Restricted
My Bike: zxr 400 l6

Post by ross46 »

check your float heights aswell, they affect the fuel level all through the range, more prevalent on 2 strokes but has an affect on these just over the pilots range, check they're at standard
Dorset shortwing

KwakKwak wrote:
Dorset shortwing wrote:Kwak is yours a grey import or genuine import ??
Genuine import, and I can see the pipe, not the headers though :smt002 Never seen a standard can :pmsl

There is a pipe on the left side close to the lower fairing edge, take out the bung, it will drain excess filter oil and any condensate out of the airbox, caught me out when I first got mine, stuff pissed out of it.
Went out to look for airbox drain tube to discover a massive petrol leak but luckily it was only the hose not pushed fully home on the tap but the off position is letting fuel out....never did find the airbox drain tube :pmsl
KwakKwak
zxr400 oc member
zxr400 oc member

Post by KwakKwak »

Whilst I agree with Banners take on the symptoms, ie choke and more fuel, I still do not think rejetting is the answer, the bike I suspect is getting too much air from a leak, perished O ring / gasket, and the choke is compensating with a better fuel air mixture.
If as you suspect it is running standard 95 jets, then if rejetting is the answer this means two things - Kawasaki got it wrong, and for 9000 miles the previous owners have put up with it running this way.
I suspect you have not stripped and cleaned the carbs properly, ie you do not know the current jets, when you have done this thoroughly, you will know all the settings etc. Are the floats okay?? Float valve and seats okay etc?? Did you by any chance use the Redex carb clean method, with a quick carb drain.
My guess - poor sealing somewhere in the fuel air system, even a pinhole leak in the underside of the tank, if it has sat with fuel in it for long enough, you never know.
I have a little Clio diesel in my stable, it is running strangely, the turbo does not kick in sometimes, I am not planning on re turboing it, remove the MAF sensor and clean, simple.
Dorset shortwing

KwakKwak wrote:Whilst I agree with Banners take on the symptoms, ie choke and more fuel, I still do not think rejetting is the answer, the bike I suspect is getting too much air from a leak, perished O ring / gasket, and the choke is compensating with a better fuel air mixture.
If as you suspect it is running standard 95 jets, then if rejetting is the answer this means two things - Kawasaki got it wrong, and for 9000 miles the previous owners have put up with it running this way.
I suspect you have not stripped and cleaned the carbs properly, ie you do not know the current jets, when you have done this thoroughly, you will know all the settings etc. Are the floats okay?? Float valve and seats okay etc?? Did you by any chance use the Redex carb clean method, with a quick carb drain.
My guess - poor sealing somewhere in the fuel air system, even a pinhole leak in the underside of the tank, if it has sat with fuel in it for long enough, you never know.
I have a little Clio diesel in my stable, it is running strangely, the turbo does not kick in sometimes, I am not planning on re turboing it, remove the MAF sensor and clean, simple.
Did a total strip and clean Kwak but didn't check float heights but checked the needle valve seats and cleaned the gauzes pulled the jets out and cleaned them. Checked diaphragms and needle conditions. ...so its either a leaking carb to head rubber or one of the O rings
ross46
Restricted
Restricted

Post by ross46 »

The seals in the carbs can go without you knowing, my bike had all original seals and I swapped them as I got a free viton kit :smt003 it was fuelling perfectly then after changing them it was crap!
KwakKwak
zxr400 oc member
zxr400 oc member

Post by KwakKwak »

Dorset shortwing wrote:Did a total strip and clean Kwak but didn't check float heights but checked the needle valve seats and cleaned the gauzes pulled the jets out and cleaned them. Checked diaphragms and needle conditions. ...so its either a leaking carb to head rubber or one of the O rings
:smt023
If you had checked the float heights and the jet sizes a Twix would be winging it's way to you, but you have been slightly impatient and will have to wait for a delivery of the finest chocolate bar EVER known.
Don't make my mistake and order the OEM O rings as well as the Viton kit, I think the head side O rings come with this kit, you'll probably have checked by now, the OEMs are pricey, at least I have spares now. :smt002
Dorset shortwing

KwakKwak wrote:
Dorset shortwing wrote:Did a total strip and clean Kwak but didn't check float heights but checked the needle valve seats and cleaned the gauzes pulled the jets out and cleaned them. Checked diaphragms and needle conditions. ...so its either a leaking carb to head rubber or one of the O rings
:smt023
If you had checked the float heights and the jet sizes a Twix would be winging it's way to you, but you have been slightly impatient and will have to wait for a delivery of the finest chocolate bar EVER known.
Don't make my mistake and order the OEM O rings as well as the Viton kit, I think the head side O rings come with this kit, you'll probably have checked by now, the OEMs are pricey, at least I have spares now. :smt002
Yeh they were pricey so went with the Viton,, mate to be honest i thought 7800 miles and stood for five years almost ,, it just needs a carb clean :pmsl ...wrong . I do think the O rings will sort it . i will do the inlet rubber mount test when i get some easy start or something to spray on them but they look ok .I will check jet sizes when the kit turns up .
ross46
Restricted
Restricted

Post by ross46 »

Dynojet do them for £1.64, I have some spares if you want to test which ones you need first