Starting problems when stopped after running

Moderator: Moderators

Resolution
My Bike: ZXR400 L9

Starting problems when stopped after running

Post by Resolution »

I have read the post referring to similar problems however my issue does not appear to be carb related. The bike starts in the morning first touch of the button and idles fine. When warmed up, if I turn off the ignition, the bike is a pig to start. Usually takes three quarter throttle and several goes.
The cam bucket's were re shimmed recently (as some out of tolerance) after which the bike ran like a peach. I have just had had the carb's professionally serviced, cleaned, balanced etc however the issue still persists. In addition to the starting issue the bike also bogs down at low revs when warm. Any thoughts? Could this be a CDI, voltage regulator or ignition coil issue as they mostly see some heat from the engine?
CaNsA
zxr400 oc member
zxr400 oc member
My Bike: ZX6R F1

Re: Starting problems when stopped after running

Post by CaNsA »

Get it on a dyno and get it all checked out.

Also, might be worth reading the many many "hot starting" threads on the forum.
Moderator & Skilled Ban Hammer Operator!
Has this forum helped you out? Say thanks by donating some of your hard earned cash towards running costs.

:: <=-LOADED TELLY BOXES - NO CONTRACT - NO SUBSCRIPTION - PM ME-=> ::
banner001
Track day God
Track day God
My Bike: ZXR400 L4

Post by banner001 »

turn each of the 4 pilot screws 1/4 turn clockwise (i.e. inwards). as the engine gets hot your air:fuel ratio required changes, in the morning you should need a little bit of choke, then as the engine warms you need less fuel on startup...this is why you are having to give it a load of throttle and zero choke once it gets warm...the engine is too rich so you have to open the throttle to allow extra air in.

see if that makes any difference, then try turning them inwards in 1/8 increments, make a note of what you do to the carbs so you can always set them back if needed and see if that makes any difference. you might find that you now need choke to start in the morning/when the bike is cold.
UK ZXR400 L3 (1993) - Fully restored and on the roads, my green beast!
JPN ZXR250 A2 (1990) - Revs to 19,200rpm... 'nuff said :smt003
ozzyb_92@hotmail.com

Post by ozzyb_92@hotmail.com »

Check the Compression of all cylinders