Throttle not returning

Moderator: Moderators

Rasta-ninja
My Bike: zxr 400

Throttle not returning

Post by Rasta-ninja »

I had trouble with my throttle returning, turns out the returning cable was rusted and snapped so i replaced that but the problem is still not fixed.

I took the carbs off and gave all the springs a clean, whenever i open the carbs(cables not attached) with my hands the spring closes them, but as soon as i attach the cables it doesn't want to close, sometimes it may close a bit but not all the way.

Could it be that the addition of the cables adds enough resistance that the spring doesn't return anymore? Or have i missed something when adding the new cable? I double checked at the handlebar end and everything seemed normal... Oh and even using the adjustment screws on the cables doesn't help just seems to stiffen things up, AND the screws on the butterflies are not catching on anything when opening..
JamieNeve
My Bike: CBR600RR, ZXR400 L-2

Throttle not returning

Post by JamieNeve »

I had the exact same problem with my ZXR. As the springs on the carb side sound alright, it has to be something stiff on the throttle side. If you have replaced the return cable, i'd replace the main cable too. Also a bit of lube or WD-40 in the cable housing may help to loosen it up. Finally, when removing the cables, check if the throttle action on the handlebar is stiff, and lube as required.

This is a common fault, as those springs have quite a bit of weight to pull back!
fergy150
My Bike: Kawasaki ZXR400H/ZX6RB1H

Re: Throttle not returning

Post by fergy150 »

+1 for the above

Also check that your tank isn't pinching the cables at all
Rasta-ninja

Post by Rasta-ninja »

When you say check the throttle action isn't stiff, do you mean that the white plastic bit is turning smoothly around the actual handlebar?

When I replaced the returning cable i lubed up all the cables, so they should be fine. I didn't lube the actual handlebar so maybe this could be the cause. But as for the tank or airbox catching, i have taken everything off whilst trying to open the throttle to make sure that wasn't the issue.

The throttle itself doesn't feel at all normal though, when i twist it it's like im already fighting a slight resistance(Its catching somewhere), maybe i need to replace the opening cable as well.
Miles
zxr400 oc member
zxr400 oc member
My Bike: ZXR 400 L3

Post by Miles »

Had an issue with a sticky cable before. Turned out id kinked the opening cable in storage
Rasta-ninja

Post by Rasta-ninja »

well in the end im not sure what solved the problem, but i put some gt85 on the handlebar which helped the throttle body turn around a lot more freely, and moved the brake lever and cables around a little more to avoid interference
JamieNeve
My Bike: CBR600RR, ZXR400 L-2

Throttle not returning

Post by JamieNeve »

Glad you got it sorted!