Idle Adjusting Screw

Moderator: Moderators

Rasta-ninja
My Bike: zxr 400

Idle Adjusting Screw

Post by Rasta-ninja »

Is there an ideal setting for this? I cant find anything in the manual, but would i be right in assuming that the best setting would be to have no adjustment at all? (i reckon with any adjustment there would be a slight stutter as you initially open the throttle?)

So i don't confuse anyone by this im asking is it best if the screw isn't turned in at all(so the throttle hasn't been opened at all).

I'm not talking about the pilot screw either, just the screw(twisty thing on end of the cable) to the right of your leg as you sit on the bike.
RedexRobB
Site Admin
Site Admin
My Bike: ZXR400L3

Re: Idle Adjusting Screw

Post by RedexRobB »

You simply set it so that the idle speed is 1250rpm.
Rasta-ninja
My Bike: zxr 400

Post by Rasta-ninja »

Yeah i understand that, but what i meant was by adjusting that screw you're actually opening and closing the throttle slightly, so i was just wondering if there was a specific/ideal adjustment, but i guess not since nothing is stated in the manual.

I just thought if you had any adjustment they're would be a stutter off the line because the throttles already slightly opened
JamieNeve
My Bike: CBR600RR, ZXR400 L-2

Post by JamieNeve »

The throttle needs to be open slightly for the bike to run at the designated idle- with the idle screw out completely the engine will simply stall, or struggle at least.

The best way to adjust the idle speed is to get the engine nice and warm, then screw the idle adjuster in/out until you get to 1250RPM. I however set mine ever so slightly above this, as I found my engine ran much smoother like this.