1990 H model float height adjustment

Moderator: Moderators

fstarocka

1990 H model float height adjustment

Post by fstarocka »

Hi all - so.. got a bike for nothing in jan.. replaced rings and got her going 5 days ago..

problem is she is running PIG rich no matter what I do! ive had the carbs off 5 times now.

Manual states 11mm.. I have always set floats from where they just contact the needle pin and stop "hanging" freely.. however, on this bike.. when i rotate carbs a bit more two of the floats seem to fall down much further than the rest..

SO - im going to assume the needle springs have perhaps worn out/softened?

In a sticky here the chap had the floats inverted which ive always been led to believe is incorrect since u dont want the needles depressed when setting float height?

Symptoms:

Starts quite easy.. mid range ok but not as powerful when warmed up.. idles rough.. sometimes hangs.. if i idle for about 20 s she can die.. have to keep blipping her.

emulsion tubes look perfect and needles not round.. floats not filled with gas, ive tried anything between from 1.5 to 2.5 turns out.. cleaned pilot jets and sprayed thru each orifice a few times. diaphragms are great.. i re-shellacked the intake rubbers and let them dry overnight.. spraying carb cleaner around the intake does nothing..

only thing is i dont have the little tubes connecting the intake venturis to the airbox (yellow plastic things) - but surely that cant make bike run so bad?

Im out of ideas here!!! cleaned exhaust out and it will powder up black and sooty after 25mins riding (at wot/traffic mixed)..

Next steps are to use the drain tube float height method and see from there.. :smt010