My carb balancing results, thoughts please

Moderator: Moderators

deano1351
My Bike: Anything with two wheels

My carb balancing results, thoughts please

Post by deano1351 »

I balanced my carbs a few days ago and just want your opinions on the results. Iv always balanced the carbs on my other motorbikes with the revs on or around tickover speed, maybe 12-1500 rpm. when I was balancing the Zxr I set them perfectly in balance at tickover, happy days I thought, then I used the idle screw to raise the idle and see what happened, I set it to run at 4000rpm and the balance was miles out, so I adjusted the balance to get them inline at 4k, just a couple of turns got them balanced again and the revs rose to 6000 rpm just from this adjustment and the engine sounded much much sweeter, I backed off the idle to 4000rpm and they stayed in balance. When I put the revs back down to idle speed the balance was way out again but still ticking over fine and very quick to rev up, I'm happy with how it runs like this and because the bike spends most of the time at 4k to 6k under normal riding conditions and the rest of the time the throttle is wide open so I'm unsure if balancing them at idle is the way to go. Id be interested to hear how others have gone about adjusting theirs, cheers Dean
bendog66
L-plate hell
L-plate hell
My Bike: ZXR400 L4, ZX6R F1 track

Re: My carb balancing results, thoughts please

Post by bendog66 »

I've always done mine at 3,500-4000 by turning the tick over up rather than using the choke
deano1351

Post by deano1351 »

Ok and just out of interest is it a massive difference between doing it at tickover or at 4-5000rpm?
bendog66
L-plate hell
L-plate hell
My Bike: ZXR400 L4, ZX6R F1 track

Post by bendog66 »

Don't know. I was taught by an ex racer who's out his 400 back on the road and have only ever done it like he taught me. Next time I do it I'll have a look but you might be waiting a while as I did them about a week ago lol
deano1351

Post by deano1351 »

Just to add, iv put some miles on the bike now and I'm very happy with how it runs, seems that balancing at 4-5000 rpm is the way to go