Carb leaking into engine

Moderator: Moderators

zxrkawa
My Bike: zxr 400

Carb leaking into engine

Post by zxrkawa »

Hello,

I have a zxr 400 from 1992 witch is working fine except from this problem. It seems like the fuel is leaking from the carburetor into the engine. If i leave the bike for a few hours the float bowls seem to be empty, because I can run the fuelpump about 5 sec before it stops every time it has been sittning for a while. Also I smell gasoline from the oil. I am a bit worried if it goes into the oil then the lubrication doesnt work properly and it can create bigger problems.

Does anyone seen this problem before or know how it can be leaking into the engine?
callum93
My Bike: zxr400

Re: Carb leaking into engine

Post by callum93 »

I know this is an old question but incase anyone else gets this issue, I thought id chime in. Had this hapoen to my bike where it would barely run from flooding and carbs leaked fuel out one inlet. Was due to a worn out float seal/O ring. Fuel could pass it when the float was shut and just leaked from the brass needle seat bit the float is on the other side of. Easy fix, cheap part from kawasaki. Il try add pics of when it happened to mine as might still have pics. Was going to add them here years ago but figured it out winks
callum93
My Bike: zxr400

Post by callum93 »

Got pics but cant upload them so if anyone wants to see them I guess il have to send them another way, cheers
Jacktomomax
My Bike: ZXR400

Post by Jacktomomax »

Hello Callum93
Just read your reply to carbs leaking into cylinders I think I might have a similar problem, bike runs for 5 mins then starts firing on 1/2 cylinders plugs sooty.
Do you still have photos of the seals you mentioned?
Could you send to me
Cheers
Martin