engine cuts out with even the smallest use of throttle?

Moderator: Moderators

kwikasfakininja
My Bike: '92 zxr400

engine cuts out with even the smallest use of throttle?

Post by kwikasfakininja »

Hi guys, excellent forum you've got here!
Hoping somebody's gonna be able to shed some light on my issue, I'm assuming this is gonna be a carb problem but not 100% sure, I am a fairly new biker. Basically the bike starts (using the choke to get it started - it's getting quite chilly out..), and then runs smoothly with choke off. However when i touch the throttle (at all) the engine immediately dies? I've had the tank off to see whether the throttle cables are free & clear - they are.

Any ideas? Have done some reading and I'm thinking that when i open the throttle valve more air is getting in but not enough fuel? What can I adjust in the carbs to get more fuel in too?

Context of the issue is that I recently replaced the downpipes, the OEM ones were rusted to hell with holes in them, the new ones are stainless steel 'black widow' pipes, but they're pretty much the same pipes so I understand that if they're similar enough to the originals that a rejet isn't absolutely necessary to make the bike run?

Regardless, any help would be very much appreciated!
Ben

PS it's a L2 zxr400
kwikasfakininja
My Bike: '92 zxr400

Re: engine cuts out with even the smallest use of throttle?

Post by kwikasfakininja »

bumperino? Bike is still suffering the issue and I'm at a loss as what to do now
Miles
zxr400 oc member
zxr400 oc member
My Bike: ZXR 400 L3

Re: engine cuts out with even the smallest use of throttle?

Post by Miles »

Have you stripped the carbs and given them a good clean? A balance probably wouldn't hurt either.

99% of the problems with these bikes is carb related