zxr400 L3 wont run on choke, overfueling?

Moderator: Moderators

danni22041990
My Bike: zxr400 L3

zxr400 L3 wont run on choke, overfueling?

Post by danni22041990 »

Hi,

recently bought a L3 model (Saturday) and noticed a problem straight away.

When I first went to see it no issues this was a month ago.

Now Saturday when I brought it home I took it for a little spin, noticed it wouldn't start on choke at all would tick over, cut out then click and nothing. So turned choke off start on button no problems Revs as it should idles fine no issues. (little strange but thought hey ho old bike)

However it also have a Hot starting problem. When I pulled up and refueld tried to re start the bike and it wouldn't start on the bottom, had to use some throttle. ITs been the same for the last 3 days have to use throttle when its already warm.

Bikes runs fine got the usual flat spot at the bottom end of the Revs and its great higher up.

I think it maybe a problem with over fueling slightly? so either Carbs need cleaning and balancing, or the O Rings or needle need replacing.

Has anyone had any experience of this at all?

Thanks
banner001
Track day God
Track day God
My Bike: ZXR400 L4

Re: zxr400 L3 wont run on choke, overfueling?

Post by banner001 »

yes its a rich condition on the pilots, hence not needing choke on cold days, or being able to start it when warm.

you need to locate the pilot adjuster screws on the underneath of the carbs (near to the fuel filter and fuel pump), turn each one 1/4 of a turn clockwise, this will restrict some of the fuel/air mix from entering the venturi of the carb, leaning out your idle.

see if that makes any change to the fuelling, it can also be caused by (but less relevant in each case) floats set too low (i.e. more fuel than needed in the fuel bowl) or too large main jets.
UK ZXR400 L3 (1993) - Fully restored and on the roads, my green beast!
JPN ZXR250 A2 (1990) - Revs to 19,200rpm... 'nuff said :smt003