the limit of exploitation of the pilot screws...

Moderator: Moderators

Jimmy8998
My Bike: ZXR400L

the limit of exploitation of the pilot screws...

Post by Jimmy8998 »

so... I had my carbs off for a good bougie the other month and when I came back to getting them back on and the bike running it just didn't want it... it was running way to slow and cutting out. I would mess around with the throttle adjustment screw how ever couldn't get it just right and ended up running way to fast and getting way to hot. so to that end I decided to balance the carbs via the pilot screws.
I wish I would have checked the amount of turns out available when I had the carbs off because I'm now at about four turns out and flapping that when I get it on the road again once I've sorted the breaks the screws are just going to fall out... :pmsl
All the carbs are at about four turns out and I've still had to use the throttle adjustment screw slightly. I'm running a black widow exhaust but that's the only non stock item.

is anyone else at four or more turns out or have you been and its gone totally Pete Tong once you've taken it out?

many thanks
banner001
Track day God
Track day God
My Bike: ZXR400 L4

Re: the limit of exploitation of the pilot screws...

Post by banner001 »

Sounds like you have a problem somewhere else, the screws only really work up to about 3 turns out from fully wouldnin. Past that, too much of the needle is exposed for it to reasonable provide any kind of metering.

I would check your float heights, pull the pilot jets and look for blockages first.
UK ZXR400 L3 (1993) - Fully restored and on the roads, my green beast!
JPN ZXR250 A2 (1990) - Revs to 19,200rpm... 'nuff said :smt003
Jimmy8998

Post by Jimmy8998 »

rgr. I'll get on with that. its shouldn't be blocked but it could be the flotes?...
thanks
Jimmy8998

Post by Jimmy8998 »

About to check the float hight.
But im doing a bench sync on the carbs and wondered what valve to do the adjustment off?
Jimmy8998

Post by Jimmy8998 »

from what i can see with my bodge measuring device (a piece of paper with a 11mm mark from the bottom) the floats do seem very off! im waiting out on a micromotor being dropped off this evening to continue.
the pilot screws were a little gunked up but not to the point where i think it was causing a problem unfortunately.