Fuel tap leak

Moderator: Moderators

jamieblade

Fuel tap leak

Post by jamieblade »

Hi all,

Ride a fireblade myself but just got hold of a gorgeous zxr400 for my better half. Rode it 111 miles non stop and damn what a bike! handles absolutely sweet and goes like a dream. got off the thin when i got home with the biggest grin ever!

Anyway, it's living in the conservatory at the moment, went out earlier to grab a beer (cos thats where they live too) and discovered it was leaking petrol (still buzzing now!!) anyway, took the side panel off to have a look at the tap and discovered its leaking.

Ok, as you look at the tap straight on you have to the left the pipe that goes to the fuel filter, the top obviously goes through to the tank, and to the right there is a kind of stub, this is where its leaking from. it's fine when the tap is off, but in the on position or reserve it drips out slowly. Is there meant to be anything connected to the stub? i did about 10 miles on the bike earlier and it was running fine.

My feeling at first was maybe the filter was blocked and the fuel was backing up, but quickly dismissed this as the bike would have been running preety ruff prior to this!!

You guys think i/ she needs a new tap for her pride and joy?

Cheers,

Jamie
jake
zxr400 oc member
zxr400 oc member
My Bike: tomos moped

Post by jake »

is it deffo coming from there? normally weep out of the face when the seals done.
im trying to picture what the tap looks like, i did'nt think there was a way of fuel getting out of that side of the tap..might be dripping down from the tank gasket?

jake
masterofinsanity
Site Admin
Site Admin
My Bike: Aprilia Tuono Fighter

Post by masterofinsanity »

it can't leak from the stub, its probably either the o-ring where it joins the tank or leaking from the fuel pipe?? see this microfiche for more detail http://www.zxrworld.co.uk/images/Lseries/lfueltank.gif
Don't forget people there is more to the zxr400 than this forum... check out www.zxrworld.co.uk also.
jamieblade

Post by jamieblade »

Hi,

Thanks for your replies, you both could be right, i just looked at the stub and assumed that was where it was coming from (yeah, i know what they say about assumption!!) will take the tank off tommorrow if i get time before work and have a closer look. Where is the best place to get parts for the bike? have some good places for honda, but bit lost when it comes to kwaks! So the tap is serviceable? i mean i probably won't be looking at a new tap?

What the hell is the stub for anyway?!!!

thanks lads,

Jamie
jamieblade

Post by jamieblade »

Just been thinking after you guys said it can't leak from the stub. Surely it's more likely to be on the output from the tap-i.e. the pipe going to the filters, as it's only leaking when it's turned to on or reserve? would have thought if it was a seal on the tap that it would leak all the time?

Can't look at the moment as she needs to get up at 3.00 am for work and damn i don't want to risk waking her up!!!

Jamie
masterofinsanity
Site Admin
Site Admin
My Bike: Aprilia Tuono Fighter

Post by masterofinsanity »

are you talking bout the bike or the missus?? you will probably find adjusting the jubilee clip on the pipe will sort it, the best dealer for Kwaks is http://www.cradleykawasaki.co.uk
Don't forget people there is more to the zxr400 than this forum... check out www.zxrworld.co.uk also.
jamieblade

Post by jamieblade »

The bike mate, damn i wouldnt hear the last of it if i woke her up! already moaned bout the fumes flooding through the house, and it's her bike! arrrgghhhh!

Hate leaving things half done, just wanna get the thing apart and sorted. Sitting here chewing my fingernails dying to get my toolbox out the shed!

Hope it's just the jubilee clip mate, will certainly save a lot of hassle.
Thanks for the cradley kawasaki link m8.

Anyway, dont see what she's moaning about, i quite enjoying the petrol fumes myself...giggle ...giggle
jamieblade

Post by jamieblade »

Couldn't resist it any longer! crept into the conservatory with a torch. Hell felt like a bloody burglar! Had a look around the fuel tap and indeed, the fuel pipe is a bit perished. turned the fuel tap on and saw fuel running from the left side of the tap to the right hand stub. so it does appear that the pipes at fault. oh well, at least it's an easy one (hopefully!!) i can relax now. is it just me or do you guys and gals get figity when a bike in the family goes down?

Beer and a film now me thinks!
jake
zxr400 oc member
zxr400 oc member
My Bike: tomos moped

Post by jake »

if you got enough slack on the hose, just cut an inch off it and put a nice new clip on matey.
RedexRobB
Site Admin
Site Admin
My Bike: ZXR400L3

Post by RedexRobB »

I cant rest when theres something up with the bike, i actually get quite moody! Like my ZX7 at the moment is slowly loosing coolant cos theres a split in the expansion bottle, plus the exhaust clamp has sheard for some reason (me thinks it might be when i was decking it getting my elbow down over the summer, but dont tell the GF :smt002 ). Also the very nice looking matt black finish on my exhaust is starting to go off black and into a brown, looking forward to easter already after the shitty weather, strip and clean me thinks!
jamieblade

Post by jamieblade »

Finally got round to getting the tank off and having a good look. Yep fuel pipe was shot, Trimmed bout a cm off the end, clip was still fine so slipped it back on put the clip back on and put the bike back together-all the panels..voila! oh forgot to put the fuel on/off/res turny thingy on. panel back off turny thing back on. Sorted!

Gonna ride it to work later on, so fingers crossed! Thanks for all the help!

Jamie