Leaking Fuel Tap ZXR400H

Moderator: Moderators

Little Loris
My Bike: 2008 Yamaha R6

Leaking Fuel Tap ZXR400H

Post by Little Loris »

Did a search for this problem and it's come up once or twice. I'd like to know what you guys think the problem might be :smt003

My fuel tap is leaking when I turn it onto 'reserve' and in the 'on' position. I dismantled it and checked the seals - they seemed fine without any decay or cuts, so I put them back in. I also cleaned out the petrol filters until they were free of crap.

After connecting it back together it was still leaking when put in the same positions.

Now, another thing I noticed (this is a 400H race prepped bike by the way with racing loom etc) was that the fuel pump was making a turning noise, like a small motor, when the kill switch was put in 'run' mode (I'm hoping this is normal). There was little fuel in the tank and it seemed to be sucking in air from somewhere as I could hear squeeking from the petrol cap at the top. The fuel pump noise tone would change when the tap was in reserve and on.

The fuel pump has 2 pipes coming from it - one is connected to the petrol tank and the other is not connected to anything. Should this other pipe be connected somewhere? There doesn't appear to be any suction or blowing coming from it when I put my thumb over it. :smt017

Sorry for the story but thought it better to give you lot detail. Pics to follow regarding the pipes but what about the fuel tap leak? Could they be related? :smt090
sloweracing
zxr400 oc member
zxr400 oc member
My Bike: tomos moped

Post by sloweracing »

Give me a ring 01732 464326 and ask for simon mention fuel tap zxr world any time before 10pm

1. yes it hisses ( good )
2. yes it should click H2 ( bad if L model )
3. 1 pipe goes to the petrol tank the other goes to the carbs might be why it dont start :smt003

find out which pie sucks and which pipe blows

suck from petrol tank ---- blow into carbs :smt002

O dear here we go again i just cant leave the 400 only

Fire away mate i raced mine for 5 years so no problem to big on the H 2 there aint nothing i dont know about raceing a zxr 400 H2 :smt003

Simon Lowes
Little Loris

Post by Little Loris »

This picture might help.

Pipe B was connected to the tank while A wasn't connected to anything. A seems to have the resevoir before it gets to the pump. Which one connects to the carbs and which one to the tank? :smt017

Damn thing won't put up my pics! :smt019 Maybe copy and paste it into your browser thingy.

[img]http://w2.bikepics.com/pics/2007/02/27/ ... 77-800.jpg[/img]
masterofinsanity
Site Admin
Site Admin
My Bike: Aprilia Tuono Fighter

Post by masterofinsanity »

you must have bbcode switched off on your posts??
Don't forget people there is more to the zxr400 than this forum... check out www.zxrworld.co.uk also.
Little Loris

Post by Little Loris »

Which part of the carbs does it connect to?
Little Loris

Post by Little Loris »

Bump
:smt015
diesel
zxr400 oc member
zxr400 oc member
My Bike: Zx7r

Post by diesel »

i had the same prob on mine. stripped it and replaced the seals and its been fine ever since. just cos they look ok doesnt mean they are. :smt006
Quicker Than Yngwie