Coolant boiling... I think...

Moderator: Moderators

RedexRobB
Site Admin
Site Admin
My Bike: ZXR400L3

Re: Coolant boiling... I think...

Post by RedexRobB »

you only really need to skim the head if the engine has boiled over and cooked everything, its done incase the head is warped due to the overheating.

Im doing my head gasket end of october, along with tensioner blades, cam chain and clutch plates. I think Its about a days work for the HG if you know what your doing, 2 if you dont and your taking it easy. As for price for a mechanic, ive heard prices ranging for 100 quid all the way upto 300. If you can take the motor out and deliver that then you will be saving yourself alot of money in labour
Vard66
zxr400 oc member
zxr400 oc member
My Bike: Coming soon; hopefully...

Post by Vard66 »

Personally, I think I'm alright now.

@ CaNsA - To flush it, I simply took the pipes off the rad, took the cap off, and stuck a hose attachment into it, and then blasted it out until it came out perfectly clear. While I was at it, I was going to take my rad out and clean it up properly, but then it turned out that the captive (cylindrical) nut that the bolt holding the oil cooler to the rad screws into, had come loose, so all I had to grip was a cylinder on the end of the bolt.

If the fan is working, it's worth dropping the rad forward, so you can get at the fan wiring connector behind it, and blast it out with WD40 though - that seems to have done the trick for my fan, happily. I also wirebrushed off and copper greased the connection pins on the CTS at the same time.

@ Rob - I haven't got a new cap yet - I figured I'd give the system a good bleeding before I did, and that seems to have done the trick.
Vard.
Vard66
zxr400 oc member
zxr400 oc member

Post by Vard66 »

Well, she wasn't making any adverse noises when I stopped after riding home, Zimm.

Good news, hopefully...
Vard.
zxr400 oc member
zxr400 oc member
My Bike: ZXR400-M4, ZX4, ZX6R.

Post by zimm »

well, it's either blown all the coolant out... or that rad cap swap has sorted it ...

now, must make sure i bin your old one instead of fitting it to one of my bikes !
Vard66
zxr400 oc member
zxr400 oc member

Post by Vard66 »

Hm. No boiling yesterday after umpteen miles, but a little bit this afternoon after ten.

Odd.
Vard.
Wabby
zxr400 oc member
zxr400 oc member
My Bike: ZXR400

Post by Wabby »

HG it sounds like Vard :smt010

@ CANSA:

I paid £216 - That included labour, coolant, HG, Carb Balancing, Valve Clearance Checks + Cam chain/tensioner check.

Its a long, boring job for a garage - Something like 5 hours I think if they ain't done one before/very often, and *they* may need to take engine out to do it.
zimm
zxr400 oc member
zxr400 oc member
My Bike: ZXR400-M4, ZX4, ZX6R.

Post by zimm »

Vard66 wrote:Hm. No boiling yesterday after umpteen miles, but a little bit this afternoon after ten.

Odd.
not that odd, and it is sounding more like HG..

when you rode home the bike had already got hot, started bubbling and then been bled and topped up.. was most likely hot enough to seal the failed part of the HG, today .. its done 10 miles from cold, enough to start it bubbling, not enough to really warm up and seal.

when the HG went on my 924 it would lose water and need bleeding every time i drove it on short journeys.. on longer journeys (like 1500 mile round trips to amsterdam) it would do it once after 10-15 miles, and then be fine for the rest of the day as long as it wasnt parked up for more than 20 minutes.
Vard66
zxr400 oc member
zxr400 oc member

Post by Vard66 »

Good point. Bummer.
Vard.
zxr400 oc member
zxr400 oc member
My Bike: zx7r p6

Post by rover220 »

sell it to me chris!
CaNsA
zxr400 oc member
zxr400 oc member
My Bike: ZX6R F1

Post by CaNsA »

Right guys,

Ive been to a bloke who come highly rated.

He reckons something connected to the conrod is kissing the bottom of the head which caused the HG to seep.
now thats worst case he says. but he quoted me about 200 in labour to check all that out inc skimming the head if needed
I have the spare engine here that i will use as a donor if i need parts
he will be doing valves and cam chain etc etc all the stuff that might aswell be done while the lump is in bits on his workbench lol.

So far in my bike fix fund i have about 120 quid.
come on people, some one must want a set of original fairings + matching tank.
viewtopic.php?f=39&t=10563
Moderator & Skilled Ban Hammer Operator!
Has this forum helped you out? Say thanks by donating some of your hard earned cash towards running costs.

:: <=-LOADED TELLY BOXES - NO CONTRACT - NO SUBSCRIPTION - PM ME-=> ::