Different oil cooler?

Moderator: Moderators

cargo
zxr400 oc member
zxr400 oc member
My Bike: tomos moped

Re: Different oil cooler?

Post by cargo »

There is some validity in the difference between race and road...................... the oil in a road bike is going to be in there for much longer and perhaps having the cooler extends oil life..................

I did once run a CB450 honda with the oil cooler removed without issues however it was my girlfriends and she was not exactly thrashing it.

No doubt when one of my bikes goes bang mid race I'll blame the lack of an oil cooler...............mind you when my cooler pipes leaked it made a right mess of that engine.
gavinfdavies
zxr400 oc member
zxr400 oc member
My Bike: gpz500s d5, zxr400 L5

Re: Different oil cooler?

Post by gavinfdavies »

I can see that race engine might not need the extra cooling all the time - when my rad and oil cooler started to give, the only way I could finish the 250 mile journey was to keep at 90+ mph, and shut down asap once stopped. Pulling off the dual carrige way directly onto the forecourt the temp went from just over 50% to red, in what, 10 seconds?!

What i'd like to know is, has anyone got experience with the earls oil coolers?

oh, and mr kwak doesn't always get it right! The gpz900r has the same rad and the gpz500/er5, and my 500 overheats in in the warm easily. Just ask anyone in the 900 owners club what they think of the standard rad given by mr kwak... then duck!
I do 700 miles a week in all weathers including snow, that's roughly 35,000 miles a year, and some weekend warrior biker has the nerve to get out of his Audi at work to tell me to I was riding far too fast in the wet (over taking at 50... fast eh?).