fan aint kicking in

Moderator: Moderators

RedexRobB
Site Admin
Site Admin
My Bike: ZXR400L3

Re: fan aint kicking in

Post by RedexRobB »

I hear exactly what your saying cargo, I don't think he is experienced enough either, but the guy don't want to/cant pay.

I've suggested finding the leak, filling it back up, and filling the coolant bottle to the right level. as all of that could well be the problem by the sounds of it. But I fear its fallen on deaf ears slightly. Only thing I can do is suggest having a good read of the manual and guide as best as I can. At the very least he'll learn something about his bike.

I too fear for the tensioner, soon as it was mentioned about removal it clicked, at which point I began to think of you n your famous topics.

I'm glad someone has added something to this tho, thought I was the only one on the forum past few days. However, I won't be here for the next week as I'm off to spain, so he's on his own.
deebow1985
My Bike: kawasaki zxr 400 H

Post by deebow1985 »

Hi cargo yep you have got me im making a new channel 4 show and my first series is to take the p*ss on zxrworld (sarcastic).

red rob is right i dont currently have the money to pay someone to do my bike so i thought id give it a try oh n by the way thanks for churping up earlier on in the post and recommending all the things that could of been wrong about a week into the post about as much help as diareah wen your swimming,

Yes i do lack basic knowledge of bikes and you generally only learn wen you do something as i cant see a mechanic allowing me stand there whilst he does the bike and im asking whats this that and that, i realeased the clutch cable by the 2 nuts, well losened them nuts that are under the cam chain tensioner and then slotted the wire out, i have put the clutch plate in now dropping the oil first, and took off petrol tank and rocker cover and taken the head off looking at the head gasket it looks like it has seen better days but as you know i dont have the knowledge to say yes this is it, im going to also replace the cam chain, although when ive un clipped the carbs the thermostat popped out and didnt look in the best of conditions, it was a dirty brown color so i dont know if thats off dirty water and itll wash down or not is there anything that will stand out if it is broke ?

sorry for the sarcasm before but you could of jumped in earlier on in the post, and thanks redrod i have leaned a bit off u m8 and have agood holiday ps go see sticky vicky she might pull out a new helmet for u :pmsl
cargo
zxr400 oc member
zxr400 oc member
My Bike: tomos moped

Post by cargo »

Well done you've manged to take your engine apart..................thats a great start..................

Your thermostat can be tested...................if you had bothered to read a good book on basic motorcycle maintainance you would even know how without have to ask on here.

I reckon your right most mechanics would not allow you to stand over him asing questions like wise not too many mechanic will sit waiting by their computer to give help and guidance.Thats why I suggested reading a good book. Haynes do a really good book on general basic maintance I would recomend it to anyone...................funny enough that is how I learnt a good book and a bit of hands on practical experience...................what I didn't do was ask questions that involved basic easy stuff that could be figured out for myself. Reading the freely available ZXR400 manual would help too

Have you e read the manual ?
Have you looked for it ?
it is on this very website

Rob is off on holiday now and I hope he has a great time....................and my computer is going off for a service shortly....................I pay someone to do it for me cos I'm happy to realise my limitations and admit to them...................so it looks like your flying solo now...............but sure your half way there already all you have to do now is put it back together..............

OH and you can test the thermostat with a kettle, some water and a container to put it in that allows you to watch..................now go figure
deebow1985
My Bike: kawasaki zxr 400 H

Post by deebow1985 »

hi cargo i found the manual on here and was using it although when reading it it sounds more difficult than doing it anyways ive successfully put the engine back toghether (well sort of lol)

ok i dropped the oil and replaced the clutch plates, first releasing the the locking nuts under the cam chain tensioner and slipping the cable out of the realease leaver under the clutch case, took the clutch case off on took the plates out soaked the new ones and put them in great,

next i stripped down the cooling system all seemed ok apart from the expansion bottle and rad cap bottle doesnt leak but has seen better days the rad cap has a split in the rubber replacements for each of these are on the way

then i stripped the engine down rocker cover, and so on realeasing the bolts in sequence as shown in the manual, and when i was lifting the head off the block underneath came as well (i did this on my own as my m8 were busy) so anyways once it started coming i took it off and the pistons where out at this point i toad myself, so i cracked on and replaced the base plate put oil in the bores (i think thats what there called) squeezed the piston rings in and put the block back on a little bit of a struggle and carried on, with the head and gasket put cam chain on putting the marks in the right place, replaced trhe spark plugs and put rocker cover on and connected her up :excited

after 3 fags i got the courage to fire her up (i put oil and water in her first 3 litres of oil as i replaced the oil filter)
she struggled to fire up think it was due to having no petrol in a while so gave it a bit and tried it again and she fired but kept cutting out, after a few attempts of trying she fired up, but now the problems started :smt011 first was a coolant leak i forgot to tighten the jubilee clip 2 mins n jobs a good one that is the only one i forgot to tighten i promise, second the choke was really tight so i knocked her off and tried adjusting it taking off the tank, but this didnt make it anyt better i was having trouble with my choke prior to doing the work, i would pull it on and it would just pull its self off now it only works if i pull it really tight and keep hold off it annoying when youve got to wait holding it, and last problem when its stood still when i would pull either brake in the head lights would flash wtf is that all about ? ive nnever noticed it do that before but i havent touched no electrics maybe its when i had the mot done cos something was wrong with a light they said it doesnt do it when the lights are on though.

so anyways i managed to get her warm enough to tick over ok and took her for a little ride she drove alright didnt want to open her up for a while yet because of the new oil and stuff, anyways the oil light went out and going up and down the gears was good up until i stopped she struggled to go into neutral when i got the petrol station i had to knock her off then she would go into neutral, plus when its in first and your at lights i can feel her pulling forward a little over than these she seemed ok to me until i got to my m8s house, he started saying he could hear a clicking and that it could be a piston ring gone asking if i lined them up or something noooooo, there is a little click but sounds more like the cam chain to me or is that just wishfull thinking lol, is there a way i can find out a ring has gone without taking her apart ? i thought youd hear a scratching or something.

im guessing with the clutch struggling to go into neutral ive tightened the 4 bolts inside the clutch too tight as i didnt have a torque wrench at this point on everything else i used one and done them up to the correct torque, could this be why its doing it ?, or do i need to adjust something else ?

also when its ticking over it jumps a little it is a little too but you can see the lights flicker a little when it does it is this a concern ?

hope this makes sense and sorry for babbling on and thanks for any help
ps cargo thanks for the thermostat tip i tried it and it worked ok i came across that bit in the book to thanks