Cool running

Moderator: Moderators

pugster307
My Bike: GSXR600

Cool running

Post by pugster307 »

Hi peeps,

A friend of mine has a 1992 ZXR400L which isn't warming up properly and i suspect a dodgy thermostat. I've been searching online for one but had no joy so far, does anyone know where i could one at a reasonable price, local bike shop quoted about 40 quid which i think is a bit steep seeing as one for a car is only about 6 quid.

Your help would be much appreciated thanks.
cargo
zxr400 oc member
zxr400 oc member
My Bike: tomos moped

Re: Cool running

Post by cargo »

I doubt if it's the thermostat..................if it's stuck open the bike will still warm up............... slowly

And if it's stuck closed the bike will run hot....................

ZXR400s in my humble opinion tend to run with the temp guage at the low end of the scale

Maybe you should team up with the guys with the overheating ones :pmsl
RedexRobB
Site Admin
Site Admin
My Bike: ZXR400L3

Post by RedexRobB »

Where does the temp gauge sit when its being ridden? It should be somewhere between the first line after the blue box and the very middle of the guage which is about normal running temperature.

If you want new parts check the banner at the top of this page. winks
pugster307
My Bike: GSXR600

Post by pugster307 »

Cheers for the reply's guys, the bike does warm up eventually but doesn't get much above the blue unless its running standing still, also it responds better to opening the throttle from idle when properly warm but still sluggish which i think is another problem like gummed up carbs, yet to have them off and clean them out.
cargo
zxr400 oc member
zxr400 oc member

Post by cargo »

Could be that the thermostat has been removed ! If you want a cheap solution try putting some tape on the radiator to restrict the air flow and it will run a bit hotter.
Big Al
My Bike: kawazaki zxr400

Post by Big Al »

hi all, had same problem with bike running too cool. cleaned radiator fins, flushed cooling system, cleaned coolant filter to carbs, changed thermostat and put new coolant in and purged as per the manual and guess what? YEP, IT STILL RUNS A BIT COOL! on normal road riding runs between first and middle marks, but on motorway drops to just below first mark. Fan cuts in just above middle mark on gauge. I suppose this is better than too hot (head gasket !!!!). Parts: Had to get thermostat from main dealer in end as couldn't track one down £38.00 ouch, but did come with new sealing gasket. Don't know why temp still fluctuates, thought thermostat was supposed to regulate it (yes, have put in round the right way). Maybe everything working a bit too well now? might tape over some of the rad to bring temp up a bit try keep in optimum range. Anyone got any other ideas would be appreciated. cheers.
cargo
zxr400 oc member
zxr400 oc member

Post by cargo »

Just about everything you did would help the bike run cooler.....................a clean radiator make for better cooling flushed and intrenally cleaned cooling system will help it run cooler...................yet you wanted it to run a little hotter.

Basicly you wasted a lot of time effort and money
gavinfdavies
zxr400 oc member
zxr400 oc member
My Bike: gpz500s d5, zxr400 L5

Post by gavinfdavies »

buy a knackered old radiator with lots of bent fins, that'll keep you warm! on my gpz which has a stuck-open therm. when it gets cold i slips a piece of corrogated cardboard between the stone guard and he rad. seems to work.
I do 700 miles a week in all weathers including snow, that's roughly 35,000 miles a year, and some weekend warrior biker has the nerve to get out of his Audi at work to tell me to I was riding far too fast in the wet (over taking at 50... fast eh?).