Water Pump Removal Tips

Moderator: Moderators

Tirpitz
zxr400 oc member
zxr400 oc member
My Bike: Kawasaki ZXR400L4

Water Pump Removal Tips

Post by Tirpitz »

Having just had to do this job I thought I'd post up a couple of tips for any DIY spannermen like yours truly, so you can avoid repeating my mistake.

What the service manual doesn't tell you is the the pump goes straight through to to the gearbox, which is, of course, full of the best oil you can afford. So when you remove it, you remove the thing that is stopping said oil escaping. Now, if you have the bike on a paddock stand, no problem, as the oil level is below that of the pump. But if you have it on the sidestand a good pint of oil will pour out :smt010

Another tip is that you will find that you can't get a spanner or socket on the bolt which secures the coolant pipe at the top of the pump. Well, you'll get a socket on it but not a drive. Easiest way I found without taking off the starter motor is to remove the coolant hose attached to the pipe at the point where it joins to the cylinder block. You should be able to get your hand in from the RH side with the side panel removed, and with a stubby screwdriver remove the jubilee clip. You can then pull the hose off and the whole section of hoses and pipe will remove with the pump. You can then disconnect the pipe. Installation in reverse. If you try and remove hoses at any other point you will find you don't have enough slack to pull them clear.

If you are storing a bike for more than a few months note that old coolant gets acid and will destroy the pump seals, necessitating replacement. Drain and flush the cooling system before storage, it's a simple job and will save you a wad. Ditto running the bike with old coolant, change it after a couple of years, it costs a damn sight less than a new pump! :smt002
Last edited by Tirpitz on Wed Apr 13, 2011 12:29 pm, edited 1 time in total.
ZXR400 L4, purple / black / pink
Hel braided hoses
Pirelli Diablos
Ohlins steering damper
A16 carbon fibre exhaust can
Nitron Sport shock
gavinfdavies
zxr400 oc member
zxr400 oc member
My Bike: gpz500s d5, zxr400 L5

Re: Water Pump Removal Tips

Post by gavinfdavies »

that thing about the coolant life is useful, as i tend to drain mine into a big pop bottle, and let it settle while i'm working. then, once i'm ready to put it back in, normally the odd little bits of cack (we're talking just the odd bit here, not sludge) have settled, it all goes back it. that said, it's premium stuff and only 18 months old, but maybe i should look at changing it when i get the new silicon hoses...
I do 700 miles a week in all weathers including snow, that's roughly 35,000 miles a year, and some weekend warrior biker has the nerve to get out of his Audi at work to tell me to I was riding far too fast in the wet (over taking at 50... fast eh?).
Tirpitz
zxr400 oc member
zxr400 oc member
My Bike: Kawasaki ZXR400L4

Re: Water Pump Removal Tips

Post by Tirpitz »

The stuff that was in mine was the original green stuff. With 3 years of use prior to storage, then a 13 year lay-up, it was obviously a nasty cocktail. This was all flushed out when I resurrected the bike and new Castrol premix motorbike coolant installed but too late, the damage had been done, and within 300 miles the water pump seal blew. I doubt the 3 years of use with the original coolant would have damaged the seal, so clearly just being sat in the cocktail of slowly deteriorating coolant during storage did it. It was never run with the old coolant in after I got it out of storage. Note also that no sludge came out when I drained it and flushed it, it was still a 'nice' clear green colour - so don't let appearance fool you into thinking your coolant is ok. I expected problems with the hoses but they are fine, no cracking and still flexible. The water pump seal seems to be the weak link.

I'll deffo be changing mine every two years from now on. It doesn't cost much and the job takes about half an hour. Probably something I'll do as I put it away for the winter, then it will have fresh coolant looking after the seals while it sleeps :smt015
ZXR400 L4, purple / black / pink
Hel braided hoses
Pirelli Diablos
Ohlins steering damper
A16 carbon fibre exhaust can
Nitron Sport shock