Water into oil?

Moderator: Moderators

Miles
zxr400 oc member
zxr400 oc member
My Bike: ZXR 400 L3

Water into oil?

Post by Miles »

Hello after the mass over heating problem ive noticed milky oil again. I take it that the head gasket and water pump are the only ways water can get i the oil? I replaced the head gasket 6 months ago but due to the over heating it may have gone again. But i think the pump is knacked here because warm water isnt getting past the thermostat and circulating around the system. This is also not turning on the fan which I think is caused by the thermo-fan switch not getting heated

Any ideas as I'd hate to have to pay£175 for new pump :smt009
parby81
zxr400 oc member
zxr400 oc member
My Bike: ZXR400 L9

Re: Water into oil?

Post by parby81 »

or is the thermostat stuck in the closed position, try taking it out and see what happens. As for the HG, you could try compression testing first, but if its only gone between oil and water jacket this isn't conclusive.
These things are sent to try us!!
Tirpitz
zxr400 oc member
zxr400 oc member
My Bike: Kawasaki ZXR400L4

Post by Tirpitz »

You shouldn't get water into the oil via the pump, there is a drain hole at the bottom of the pump which diverts the coolant if the seals are shagged and you will see a pool of water forming under the bike. If you do have coolant in the oil it is almost certainly a HG issue.

Now, if you do have a coolant pump issue (which could be causing your HGs to go through overheating) before spending £175 PM Mori Man as you may be surprised at the saving direct from Japan. Still not cheap, but cheaper. Or you could try this http://cgi.ebay.co.uk/Kawasaki-ZXR400-H ... 5196fa78fd Although this is for a H, according to the microfiches it's the same part on the L and it looks the same to me.
ZXR400 L4, purple / black / pink
Hel braided hoses
Pirelli Diablos
Ohlins steering damper
A16 carbon fibre exhaust can
Nitron Sport shock
Miles
zxr400 oc member
zxr400 oc member

Post by Miles »

Pulled the water pump out, good news is the seals are ok bad news is the oil looks like coffee. Definatly the HG. Not entirely sure why this has blown as I replaced it 6 months ago.

Poss when the thermostat stuck it over-heated the head???

Might explain why the bike would run for 5 mins then cut out and struggle to start till it cooled down :smt017
RedexRobB
Site Admin
Site Admin
My Bike: ZXR400L3

Post by RedexRobB »

Could be a warped head? Or a hairline crack?
Tirpitz
zxr400 oc member
zxr400 oc member
My Bike: Kawasaki ZXR400L4

Post by Tirpitz »

Agree with Rob. If you've had an overheating issue previously which blew the HG you might need the head skimming if it is warped - or if it's really bad it might be toast :smt009
ZXR400 L4, purple / black / pink
Hel braided hoses
Pirelli Diablos
Ohlins steering damper
A16 carbon fibre exhaust can
Nitron Sport shock
Mori Man
Blingmeister
Blingmeister
My Bike: ZXR400J2

Post by Mori Man »

Get your cylinder head skimmed - will benefit from it wether needed or not.

Test your thermo switch is operating - thought mine was until I saw the fan blades had melted shocking

In all honesty most of these bikes are coming upto being 20+yrs old so a new thermo switch & thermostat isn't much to ask, done both on my bike :smt001

Pretty sure the thermo switch is half price here so PM if you go that route.

Low mileage is not an indication of good condition - unless the bike is only a few years old , time gets us all !

MM!
Nothing worse than having an H and not being able to scratch it !
Living life on the edge, SuPposedly
Miles
zxr400 oc member
zxr400 oc member

Post by Miles »

Replaced the HG last time due to low compression which turned out to be piston rings being worn. Shall have it skimmed since I need to change and see about getting it checked for hair line-cracks vsad

Yeh I've ordered a new thermostat and the thermo switch checked out ok. Just replace and go from here